Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 AM
John Heinen

Default GRUB ERROR 17 help!!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Christopher Chan

>> Do this:
>> Grab a cd of Ubuntu, and boot into a "live session". (it gives you an
>> option on boot to "boot into the cd" to try out ubuntu)
>> Open up a terminal: Applications menu >> Accessories >> Terminal
>> type in "sudo fdisk -l"
>> copy the output from there and put it in a reply to this email, so i can
>> help you figure things out better.

Try doing the above first so we can walk you through the steps.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 AM
NoOp

On 11/17/2009 05:57 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> Do this:
>>> Grab a cd of Ubuntu, and boot into a "live session". (it gives you an
>>> option on boot to "boot into the cd" to try out ubuntu)
>>> Open up a terminal: Applications menu >> Accessories >> Terminal
>>> type in "sudo fdisk -l"
>>> copy the output from there and put it in a reply to this email, so i can
>>> help you figure things out better.
>>>

> Try doing the above first so we can walk you through the steps.
>
>>> FAIZAN ARE YOU THERE, I ran into a new sort of the same problem "Grub loading, please wait... error 21, it started with changing hard drives. Appreciate commnets. John

John is: 1) reviving a post of his from May 2009, and 2) is now
complaining about "error 21".

Note to John: start a new thread as this seems to be an *new* issue.
Further, I suspect that your system has changed since May 2009, so when
you do start a new thread, explain the details in full (you know the drill).

Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 AM
John Heinen

NoOp wrote:

>> Try doing the above first so we can walk you through the steps.

> John is: 1) reviving a post of his from May 2009, and 2) is now
> complaining about "error 21".
>
> Note to John: start a new thread as this seems to be an *new* issue.
> Further, I suspect that your system has changed since May 2009, so when
> you do start a new thread, explain the details in full (you know the drill).

It is all taking care of. What I learned ,though, is not to fool around
with the hard drives, that is adding ( internal) an extra or second hard
drive. Windows bios, at times, seems to go wild on this, sometimes it
works sometimes it doesn't, It could also be that I /have been using
some older drives. Thank you, John H/

Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 AM
NoOp

On 11/20/2009 07:03 PM, John Heinen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> John is: 1) reviving a post of his from May 2009, and 2) is now
>> complaining about "error 21".
>>
>> Note to John: start a new thread as this seems to be an *new* issue.
>> Further, I suspect that your system has changed since May 2009, so when
>> you do start a new thread, explain the details in full (you know the drill).
>>

> It is all taking care of. What I learned ,though, is not to fool around
> with the hard drives, that is adding ( internal) an extra or second hard
> drive. Windows bios, at times, seems to go wild on this, sometimes it
> works sometimes it doesn't, It could also be that I /have been using
> some older drives. Thank you, John H/

John, I add/swap hard drives all the time. My _newest_ hard drives are
40Gb 5 year old drives pulled out of old recycled computers.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 07:03 PM, John Heinen wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> John is: 1) reviving a post of his from May 2009, and 2) is now
>>> complaining about "error 21".
>>>
>>> Note to John: start a new thread as this seems to be an *new* issue.
>>> Further, I suspect that your system has changed since May 2009, so when
>>> you do start a new thread, explain the details in full (you know the drill).
>>>

>> It is all taking care of. What I learned ,though, is not to fool around
>> with the hard drives, that is adding ( internal) an extra or second hard
>> drive. Windows bios, at times, seems to go wild on this, sometimes it
>> works sometimes it doesn't, It could also be that I /have been using
>> some older drives. Thank you, John H/
>>

> John, I add/swap hard drives all the time. My _newest_ hard drives are
> 40Gb 5 year old drives pulled out of old recycled computers.

He is encouraging you to learn a bit more about obsolete bioses but also
what is still valuable knowledge about the workings of computers.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 07:03 PM, John Heinen wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> John is: 1) reviving a post of his from May 2009, and 2) is now
>>> complaining about "error 21".
>>>
>>> Note to John: start a new thread as this seems to be an *new* issue.
>>> Further, I suspect that your system has changed since May 2009, so when
>>> you do start a new thread, explain the details in full (you know the drill).
>>>

>> It is all taking care of. What I learned ,though, is not to fool around
>> with the hard drives, that is adding ( internal) an extra or second hard
>> drive. Windows bios, at times, seems to go wild on this, sometimes it
>> works sometimes it doesn't, It could also be that I /have been using
>> some older drives. Thank you, John H/
>>

> John, I add/swap hard drives all the time. My _newest_ hard drives are
> 40Gb 5 year old drives pulled out of old recycled computers.

My experience with 5 year old Hard Drives are they are full
of bugs. Older are even worse. If you can't get a new Hard
Drive for some reason, then expect trouble!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Steve Flynn

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * * *My experience with 5 year old Hard Drives are they are full
> of bugs. Older are even worse. If you can't get a new Hard
> Drive for some reason, then expect trouble!

Hard drives are full of bugs? Can you explain please?

I've got a a very old drive near my computer? Can the bugs get into
Ubuntu from it?

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Leonard

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> It is all taking care of. What I learned ,though, is not to fool around
>>> with the hard drives, that is adding ( internal) an extra or second hard
>>> drive. Windows bios, at times, seems to go wild on this, sometimes it
>>> works sometimes it doesn't, It could also be that I /have been using
>>> some older drives. Thank you, John H/
>>>

>> John, I add/swap hard drives all the time. My _newest_ hard drives are
>> 40Gb 5 year old drives pulled out of old recycled computers.
>>

> My experience with 5 year old Hard Drives are they are full
> of bugs. Older are even worse. If you can't get a new Hard
> Drive for some reason, then expect trouble!
>
> 73 Karl

Karl, did you use insecticide for bugs on your 5 yr or older HDDs.
Always works for me-)

--
Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My experience with 5 year old Hard Drives are they are full
>> of bugs. Older are even worse. If you can't get a new Hard
>> Drive for some reason, then expect trouble!
>
> Hard drives are full of bugs? Can you explain please?
>
> I've got a a very old drive near my computer? Can the bugs get into
> Ubuntu from it?

One of the most common bugs is the hard drive fails to turn.
You should even notice that right away.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI