Old 11-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Steve Flynn

Default GRUB ERROR 17 help!!!!

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> * * * *My experience with 5 year old Hard Drives are they are full
>>> of bugs. Older are even worse. If you can't get a new Hard
>>> Drive for some reason, then expect trouble!
>>
>> Hard drives are full of bugs? Can you explain please?
>>
>> I've got a a very old drive near my computer? Can the bugs get into
>> Ubuntu from it?
>>
> * * * *One of the most common bugs is the hard drive fails to turn.
> You should even notice that right away.

Stiction, or less likely motor burnout you mean? I wouldn't call that
a bug. I'd call that a hardware failure.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Colin Law

2009/11/21 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> * * * *My experience with 5 year old Hard Drives are they are full
>>> of bugs. Older are even worse. If you can't get a new Hard
>>> Drive for some reason, then expect trouble!
>>
>> Hard drives are full of bugs? Can you explain please?
>>
>> I've got a a very old drive near my computer? Can the bugs get into
>> Ubuntu from it?
>>
> * * * *One of the most common bugs is the hard drive fails to turn.
> You should even notice that right away.

I do not think that is really a correct use of the word 'bug' which
would normally refer to some sort of software (or firmware) design
error. I think if the drive does not turn that means it is broken,
which is not the same thing at all. Obviously the older a drive is
the more likely it is to be broken, but many drives run well for very
many years. In fact I suspect many more drives get thrown out because
they have been superseded by larger/faster drives than because they
are broken.

Colin