Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Edgars Šmits

Default GRIP missing from Karmic...

I've installed Karmic 64 on 2 machines, so far no great surprises. After a week of using it I need to rip an audio CD and discover that my old, long-time favourite application - Grip, is no longer available for Karmic. I've been using it for many years, since I've been using Linux, never a problem, does what I want, labels exactly as desired, no real bells and whistles, just a straightforward application that does what it is supposed to.

Any ideas where to turn next? I tried to compile from source, keep getting funny configure errors and have given up, life's too short. Is there another ripping app that is the equivalent of Grip and is supported in Karmic? I installed Sound Juicer, it keeps crapping out as soon as start ripping....

Thanks

ED
--
R.U. Sirius: I used to take a lot of acid. Now I'm older, I take a lot of antacid.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Edgars ┼*mits <ed.smits@gmail.com> [2009-11-17 16:20 +0200]:
> I've installed Karmic 64 on 2 machines, so far no great surprises. After a
> week of using it I need to rip an audio CD and discover that my old,
> long-time favourite application - Grip, is no longer available for Karmic.
> I've been using it for many years, since I've been using Linux, never a
> problem, does what I want, labels exactly as desired, no real bells and
> whistles, just a straightforward application that does what it is supposed
> to.
>
> Any ideas where to turn next? I tried to compile from source, keep getting
> funny configure errors and have given up, life's too short. Is there another
> ripping app that is the equivalent of Grip and is supported in Karmic? I
> installed Sound Juicer, it keeps crapping out as soon as start ripping....

It's been awhile since I've used Grip, so my recollection of what it is
like is hazy. ripperX looks like it might be a suitable replacement.
If not, I've located Grip packages in a couple of PPAs.

<https://launchpad.net/~futurepilot/+archive/ppa>
<https://launchpad.net/~kirkland/+archive/ppa>

If you've never used a PPA before, you can read more information on
installing software from a PPA from the following link.

<https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/InstallingSoftware>

Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Edgars Šmits

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM, James Michael Fultz <croooow@gmail.com> wrote:

* Edgars ┼*mits <ed.smits@gmail.com> [2009-11-17 16:20 +0200]:

> I've installed Karmic 64 on 2 machines, so far no great surprises. After a

> week of using it I need to rip an audio CD and discover that my old,

> long-time favourite application - Grip, is no longer available for Karmic.

> I've been using it for many years, since I've been using Linux, never a

> problem, does what I want, labels exactly as desired, no real bells and

> whistles, just a straightforward application that does what it is supposed

> to.

> Any ideas where to turn next? I tried to compile from source, keep getting

> funny configure errors and have given up, life's too short. Is there another

> ripping app that is the equivalent of Grip and is supported in Karmic? I

> installed Sound Juicer, it keeps crapping out as soon as start ripping....

It's been awhile since I've used Grip, so my recollection of what it is

like is hazy. ┬*ripperX looks like it might be a suitable replacement.

If not, I've located Grip packages in a couple of PPAs.

<https://launchpad.net/~futurepilot/+archive/ppa>

<https://launchpad.net/~kirkland/+archive/ppa>

If you've never used a PPA before, you can read more information on

installing software from a PPA from the following link.

<https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/InstallingSoftware>

Thanks for the quick help! I have used PPAs before - the only way I could get the old Amarok 1.4 working after they upgraded it to the useless 2.0...

I'm back in action!

ED

--
R.U. Sirius: I used to take a lot of acid. Now I'm older, I take a lot of antacid.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Audex?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Nils Kassube

Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
> I've installed Karmic 64 on 2 machines, so far no great surprises.
> After a week of using it I need to rip an audio CD and discover that
> my old, long-time favourite application - Grip, is no longer
> available for Karmic.

> Any ideas where to turn next?

Grip perhaps? I use the jaunty version of grip and it still works as
expected - but it is the 32 bit version.

Nils

Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
> I've installed Karmic 64 on 2 machines, so far no great surprises. After
> a week of using it I need to rip an audio CD and discover that my old,
> long-time favourite application - Grip, is no longer available for
> Karmic. I've been using it for many years, since I've been using Linux,
> never a problem, does what I want, labels exactly as desired, no real
> bells and whistles, just a straightforward application that does what it
> is supposed to.
>
> Any ideas where to turn next? I tried to compile from source, keep
> getting funny configure errors and have given up, life's too short. Is
> there another ripping app that is the equivalent of Grip and is
> supported in Karmic? I installed Sound Juicer, it keeps crapping out as
> soon as start ripping....
>

> Thanks
>

> ED
>
> --
> R.U. Sirius: I used to take a lot of acid. Now I'm older, I take a lot
> of antacid.

I just tested with synaptic in my Karmic and it is still available.
It is in : GNOME desktop Environment (Universe).
Its maintainers are : Ubuntu MOTU developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com
Joep