FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default K8temp & K10temp

Can anybody give information on the status of the temperature modules
for the current kernel.
I'm running Karmic on an AMD Phenom II and there is a module K10temp
that has worked in kernel 2.6.28-15. As this was in August I thought it
would already be incorporated in the newer kernels. But the current
kernel 2-6-31-14 has the same K8temp module as in all other kernels. On
the lmsensors list they have already a K8temp version that is adapted
for the newer processor types. I would like to know when this will be
implemented in the new Ubuntu kernels. Other wise I have to compile the
module for each new kernel.
Thanks in advance
Joep

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
R Kimber
 
Default K8temp & K10temp

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:02:01 +0100
Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Can anybody give information on the status of the temperature modules
> for the current kernel.
> I'm running Karmic on an AMD Phenom II and there is a module K10temp
> that has worked in kernel 2.6.28-15. As this was in August I thought it
> would already be incorporated in the newer kernels. But the current
> kernel 2-6-31-14 has the same K8temp module as in all other kernels. On
> the lmsensors list they have already a K8temp version that is adapted
> for the newer processor types. I would like to know when this will be
> implemented in the new Ubuntu kernels. Other wise I have to compile the
> module for each new kernel.
> Thanks in advance
> Joep

I'm not sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that the k8 module
would be updated to support k10. I don't know if it has been done. I
haven't tried k8temp recently. I'm getting data using it8720-isa-0228,
according to sensors, with my gigabyte board.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM
R Kimber
 
Default K8temp & K10temp

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:02:01 +0100
Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Can anybody give information on the status of the temperature modules
> for the current kernel.
> I'm running Karmic on an AMD Phenom II and there is a module K10temp
> that has worked in kernel 2.6.28-15. As this was in August I thought it
> would already be incorporated in the newer kernels. But the current
> kernel 2-6-31-14 has the same K8temp module as in all other kernels. On
> the lmsensors list they have already a K8temp version that is adapted
> for the newer processor types. I would like to know when this will be
> implemented in the new Ubuntu kernels. Other wise I have to compile the
> module for each new kernel.

Actually, the latest release of the stable branch version of sensors-detect
from the lm-sensors website detects K10 but says 'driver `to-be-written',
so presumably even lm-sensors hasn't quite got its act together yet. So it
presumably won't appear in Ubuntu just yet.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default K8temp & K10temp

R Kimber wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:02:01 +0100
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>> Can anybody give information on the status of the temperature modules
>> for the current kernel.
>> I'm running Karmic on an AMD Phenom II and there is a module K10temp
>> that has worked in kernel 2.6.28-15. As this was in August I thought it
>> would already be incorporated in the newer kernels. But the current
>> kernel 2-6-31-14 has the same K8temp module as in all other kernels. On
>> the lmsensors list they have already a K8temp version that is adapted
>> for the newer processor types. I would like to know when this will be
>> implemented in the new Ubuntu kernels. Other wise I have to compile the
>> module for each new kernel.
>
> Actually, the latest release of the stable branch version of sensors-detect
> from the lm-sensors website detects K10 but says 'driver `to-be-written',
> so presumably even lm-sensors hasn't quite got its act together yet. So it
> presumably won't appear in Ubuntu just yet.
>
> - Richard.
Richard,
Thanks. However, I had K10 running and giving correct temperature
readings in Karmic, but when I upgraded the kernel I found I have to
recompile K10temp again and as kernel versions change very often it is a
nuisance therefore I hope the developers of Ubuntu recognize the urgency .
The message about re-writing the driver is old as K10temp works and is
stable as far as I have seen (I used it in krellm which recognized it).
Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM
R Kimber
 
Default K8temp & K10temp

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:17:36 +0100
Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Thanks. However, I had K10 running and giving correct temperature
> readings in Karmic, but when I upgraded the kernel I found I have to
> recompile K10temp again and as kernel versions change very often it is a
> nuisance therefore I hope the developers of Ubuntu recognize the urgency .
> The message about re-writing the driver is old as K10temp works and is
> stable as far as I have seen (I used it in krellm which recognized it).
> Joep

Yes, I realise you can 'roll your own', my point was that IMHO it's
unlikely to be in Ubuntu until the lm-sensors people get sensors-detect to
work with K10temp (or an updated K8temp, whichever path is chosen).
At the moment, it recognises K10 but can't utilise it. One tends to feel
that it's not a major problem to overcome, but equally my experience with
people on the sensors list is that they are not responsive to people asking
about K10, and much of the discussion seems Intel-based. This may be a
misperception, but it's the impression I was left with.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default K8temp & K10temp

R Kimber wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:17:36 +0100
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>> Thanks. However, I had K10 running and giving correct temperature
>> readings in Karmic, but when I upgraded the kernel I found I have to
>> recompile K10temp again and as kernel versions change very often it is a
>> nuisance therefore I hope the developers of Ubuntu recognize the urgency .
>> The message about re-writing the driver is old as K10temp works and is
>> stable as far as I have seen (I used it in krellm which recognized it).
>> Joep
>
> Yes, I realise you can 'roll your own', my point was that IMHO it's
> unlikely to be in Ubuntu until the lm-sensors people get sensors-detect to
> work with K10temp (or an updated K8temp, whichever path is chosen).
> At the moment, it recognises K10 but can't utilise it. One tends to feel
> that it's not a major problem to overcome, but equally my experience with
> people on the sensors list is that they are not responsive to people asking
> about K10, and much of the discussion seems Intel-based. This may be a
> misperception, but it's the impression I was left with.
>
> - Richard.
Richard,
I agree. They are very self-centred and apparently AMD is less releveant
for them and I also think that it is not a big thing to update K8temp. I
think it is an item the ubuntu developers should give some attention as
more and more people see the advantage of the Phenom series of AMD.
Joep
.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org