Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Huw

Default Interface lag in Ubuntu 9.10

Hi all
*
I've been using Ubuntu since 6.04, always with Gnome,*and this issue has not come up before.* At first I did an in-place upgrade through the update manager from 9.04 to 9.10.* It was terrible.* The interface really lagged; not with everything I did but with most things.* Clicking any icon, whether on the panels or within an application such as Evolution, always took at least a second to register.* The interface just generally felt really laggy.* I've been getting some Flash problems too but then Flash has never been perfect for me on Ubuntu.
*
The system was taking ages to boot to GDM too, close to a minute I'd say which was noticeably longer than 9.04 took to boot.
*
Anyway, I decided eventually to just reinstall.* Now, reinstalling has drastically improved boot time which I am now sure is even faster than 9.04 - although I'm not at all impressed with the new Grub which is very slow.* But the interface problems remain.* While the system itself doesn't seem to underperform in any CPU- or disk I/O-intensive tasks, Gnome itself is still pretty unresponsive.* This is a 64-bit install by the way.
*
I don't know where to even begin to troubleshoot this issue.* Web searches haven't revealed much.* Any suggestions would be gratefully received, although I should mention I'm at work right now so I won't be able to try anything out until tonight.
*
Thanks in advance,
Huw

Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Avi Greenbury

Huw <huw@synapticsilence.net> wrote:
> Now,
> reinstalling has drastically improved boot time which I am now sure
> is even faster than 9.04 - although I'm not at all impressed with the
> new Grub which is very slow.

Which bit is slow? Just the grub bit?
I've never even seen the new grub in real life, but there does seem to
have been a lot of obsessing over bootchart with this release, which I
gather records which parts of booting took the longest.

> But the interface problems remain.
> While the system itself doesn't seem to underperform in any CPU- or
> disk I/O-intensive tasks, Gnome itself is still pretty unresponsive.
> This is a 64-bit install by the way. I don't know where to even begin
> to troubleshoot this issue.

Which graphics card have you got, and which driver are you using? Do
you have compiz enabled, or any other GUI fanciness?

Are X or GDM writing anything interesting to their logs?

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Huw

Hi Avi, thanks for your reply. I should point out that I'm not a very technical user; I use Ubuntu (or Linux in general) simply because I prefer it to Windows...which I only keep around for gaming.

> Which bit is slow? Just the grub bit?
> I've never even seen the new grub in real life, but there does seem to
> have been a lot of obsessing over bootchart with this release, which I
> gather records which parts of booting took the longest.

After my system POSTs, the message "GRUB is loading" or words to that effect appears, which I barely saw with previous versions of Ubuntu, but now appears for a good few seconds before the menu appears. After making my selection in the menu it takes another second before disappearing and handing over to Ubuntu. It's not *that* annoying but it adds to startup time and I'd like to fix it if possible.

> Which graphics card have you got, and which driver are you using? Do
> you have compiz enabled, or any other GUI fanciness?

I use an nVidia Geforce 7600GT with whatever was the latest nVidia driver suggested by the hardware device manager but I'm 95% certain the interface lag was occurring before installing the driver. No Compiz or anything like that. I don't use those anyway.

> Are X or GDM writing anything interesting to their logs?

Don't know, I'll have to take a look tonight but I'm not sure I'd be able to discern what is interesting anyway.

Sorry if my email looks terrible; I'm using a not very great webmail interface while I'm at work.

Huw

Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Avi Greenbury

Huw <huw@synapticsilence.net> wrote:
> Hi Avi, thanks for your reply. I should point out that I'm not a
> very technical user; I use Ubuntu (or Linux in general) simply
> because I prefer it to Windows...which I only keep around for
> gaming.

It's been pointed out to me in the past that my posts have a habit of
starting out non-technical-user friendly and descend into acronym hell.
If it's any consolation, I'm not overly technical either, I'm just
rather good at remembering acronyms.

> After my system POSTs, the message "GRUB is loading" or words to that
> effect appears, which I barely saw with previous versions of Ubuntu,
> but now appears for a good few seconds before the menu appears.
> After making my selection in the menu it takes another second before
> disappearing and handing over to Ubuntu. It's not *that* annoying
> but it adds to startup time and I'd like to fix it if possible.

I've no idea what to do to troubleshoot this, with it likely involving
grub2 and ext4, neither of which I've been anywhere near. Perhaps it's
deserving of a new thread when you've sorted the currently more
pressing problem?

> > Which graphics card have you got, and which driver are you using? Do
> > you have compiz enabled, or any other GUI fanciness?
>
> I use an nVidia Geforce 7600GT with whatever was the latest nVidia
> driver suggested by the hardware device manager but I'm 95% certain
> the interface lag was occurring before installing the driver. No
> Compiz or anything like that. I don't use those anyway.

Does the restricted drivers manager offer any other versions of the
driver?
Also, search the ubuntu bug tracker[0] for your chipset and/or driver
version.

> > Are X or GDM writing anything interesting to their logs?
>
> Don't know, I'll have to take a look tonight but I'm not sure I'd be
> able to discern what is interesting anyway.

Each use characters at the beginning of the line:
(EE) Error
(WW) Warning
(II) Information

There are others, denoting why it's done something (default vs.
configured behaviour for example), and they're all detailed at the top
of the files.

From what I remember, you want
/var/log/gdm/:0.log for gdm
/var/log/xorg.0.log for X11
If you paste these somewhere like pastebin in full, or c+p the
pertinent lines here if there aren't many[1], we can have a look.

> Sorry if my email looks terrible; I'm using a not very great webmail
> interface while I'm at work.

Looks fine here, but that might be down to me using a great mail
client...

[0] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs
[1] I always prefer error lines to be posted in emails rather than
linked to elsewhere, since it keeps the information inside the list
archives. Opinions vary.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Huw

> I've no idea what to do to troubleshoot this, with it likely involving
> grub2 and ext4, neither of which I've been anywhere near. Perhaps it's
> deserving of a new thread when you've sorted the currently more
> pressing problem?

Yeah, I'll do that. It actually calls itself version 1.94 beta or something like that. But anyway, yep, new thread later.

> Does the restricted drivers manager offer any other versions of the
> driver?
> Also, search the ubuntu bug tracker[0] for your chipset and/or driver
> version.

Yes, a couple of other, older versions of nVidia's driver are available. I can give them a try I suppose but I'm almost certain Gnome was lagging before I'd installed any of them.

> Each use characters at the beginning of the line:
> (EE) Error
> (WW) Warning
> (II) Information
>
> There are others, denoting why it's done something (default vs.
> configured behaviour for example), and they're all detailed at the top
> of the files.
>
> From what I remember, you want
> /var/log/gdm/:0.log for gdm
> /var/log/xorg.0.log for X11
> If you paste these somewhere like pastebin in full, or c+p the
> pertinent lines here if there aren't many[1], we can have a look.

Right, will do...when I get a chance in maybe seven hours or so!

> Looks fine here, but that might be down to me using a great mail
> client...

Heh. Splendid! I'm having to do a fair bit of tedious manual editing with each reply, so I'm glad.

Huw

Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
huw

Avi, it's been a while so I hope you see this! I finally got around to
following your advice.

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 11:50 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Does the restricted drivers manager offer any other versions of the
> driver?
> Also, search the ubuntu bug tracker[0] for your chipset and/or driver
> version.

I changed down to the oldest nVidia driver offered by the restricted
drivers manager, i.e. 96, and restarted. No dice. I haven't searched
the bug tracker yet though.

> > > Are X or GDM writing anything interesting to their logs?

All I can see is this:

(WW) NVIDIA(0):
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode
"nvidia-auto-select"
(WW) NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
(WW) NVIDIA(0):

I'm fairly sure I always used to see that.

I'm no expert but it doesn't really "feel" like a graphics thing. When
I click an icon - like send/receive in Evolution for example, or
clicking a launcher in the top panel - it registers straight away. The
icon/button goes into its "pressed" state. But there it stays for a
second or so, before coming out of the pressed state and my command
being carried out. There's also usually a lag of a couple of seconds
before the corresponding sound effect is played. It's as if every now
and again, when I ask Gnome to do something, it has to think about it
for a sec. It doesn't appear to make any difference whether I'm
launching an app or clicking something within an app. Quite puzzling!

Any other thoughts would be most welcome.

Huw

Old 11-22-2009, 04:50 PM
intrader

huw wrote:
> Avi, it's been a while so I hope you see this! I finally got around to
> following your advice.
>
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 11:50 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
>> Does the restricted drivers manager offer any other versions of the
>> driver?
>> Also, search the ubuntu bug tracker[0] for your chipset and/or driver
>> version.
>>

> I changed down to the oldest nVidia driver offered by the restricted
> drivers manager, i.e. 96, and restarted. No dice. I haven't searched
> the bug tracker yet though.

> All I can see is this:
>
> (WW) NVIDIA(0):
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode
> "nvidia-auto-select"
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
> (WW) NVIDIA(0):
>
> I'm fairly sure I always used to see that.
>
> I'm no expert but it doesn't really "feel" like a graphics thing. When
> I click an icon - like send/receive in Evolution for example, or
> clicking a launcher in the top panel - it registers straight away. The
> icon/button goes into its "pressed" state. But there it stays for a
> second or so, before coming out of the pressed state and my command
> being carried out. There's also usually a lag of a couple of seconds
> before the corresponding sound effect is played. It's as if every now
> and again, when I ask Gnome to do something, it has to think about it
> for a sec. It doesn't appear to make any difference whether I'm
> launching an app or clicking something within an app. Quite puzzling!
>
> Any other thoughts would be most welcome.
>
> Huw

I have posted my experience with updating from 9.04 to 9.10. The
resulting UI is just about unusable.
I am using the NVidia Version 96 driver.
I also observed that the icons changed in appearance (for example the
wireless icon or the help icon are 'washed' out).
I discovered that System->Preferences->Startup Applications had a large
number of applications checked. I have removed 'Blue Tooth, and
Evaluation Alarm' and unchecked most of the rest except Network Manager,
PolicyKit Authentication, Print Queue Applet, Update Notifier, and
Volume Control.The GNOME Settings Daemon and GNOME Settings Daemon
Helper seemed to have helped as _now the icons are drawn properly and
the UI is behaving better._
My initial observations
1. Click on icon does not cancel and mouse drags the icon image around.
2. Highlighting while typing - if you move mouse while typing the text
in some nearby area is highlighted.
3. Scrollbar is 'sticky' and scrolls the page while mouse is move in the
page area.
4. Click on close or links takes many tries.
etc.
Seems like my messages to the forum 'Installation & Upgrades' are
ignored. My last posting informs the group that I will be going back to
9.04.
Good luck with your quest

Old 11-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Huw

Hi Intrader

--- intrader.intrader@gmail.com wrote:

> I have posted my experience with updating from 9.04 to 9.10. The
> resulting UI is just about unusable.

The UI on /my/ install is certainly not unusable but it is very annoying. I'm getting quite fed up with this problem to be honest, especially since it recurs even after a fresh install of Ubuntu on a PC that Ubuntu /used/ to like.

> Seems like my messages to the forum 'Installation & Upgrades' are
> ignored. My last posting informs the group that I will be going back to
> 9.04.

I would consider downgrading due to the UI and GRUB problems. However, I used to be quite the distro junkie a few years ago (before settling on Ubuntu at 6.06) so after giving it some thought I'm actually quite tempted to try a different distro altogether. Debian perhaps. Thanks for posting, I hope you get your issues resolved!

Huw