Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
"Allan Valeriano"

Default Grub Error 17

Hi all,

I've tryed to repartition my hard disk with gparted and after that, I
started to receive the Grub Error 17.
I can't boot from my HD at all.
I tried following the steps from this thread, answered by mbwardle,
and couldn't make it after step 9.

Any help on this?

thanks in advance
--Valeriano

Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
"Allan Valeriano"

On Jan 3, 2008 8:22 PM, Allan Valeriano <allvaleriano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tryed to repartition my hard disk with gparted and after that, I
> started to receive the Grub Error 17.
> I can't boot from my HD at all.
> I tried following the steps from this thread, answered by mbwardle,

Ops, forgot to send the link to the thread. Sorry.

--Valeriano

Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
anthony baldwin

Allan Valeriano wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tryed to repartition my hard disk with gparted and after that, I
> started to receive the Grub Error 17.
> I can't boot from my HD at all.
> I tried following the steps from this thread, answered by mbwardle,
> and couldn't make it after step 9.
>
> Any help on this?
>
> thanks in advance
> --Valeriano

Check this out:
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/GRUB_error_17_after_kernel_update

Or:

grub error 17 "Cannot mount selected partition" happens usually because
the "root" argument given to grub is wrong. At the grub menu, press 'e'
and check the "root (hd0,2)" or similar line. You can go into command
mode with 'c' and use the 'find' command to locate the right partition,
for instance: find /boot/grub/menu.lst

Once you have found the right (hdx,y) partition, edit the root line in
the grub menu. After booting up, edit the #groot= line in
/boot/grub/menu.lst and run 'sudo update-grub'.
(lifted from
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/14606)

The first seems link basically says the first thing, more or less.

Can you boot the computer from the livecd?
That way, you could edit your grub.conf, e2fsck or any other thing you
need to do that
you are currently unable to do, since the derned thang won't boot.

Or, you could sack grub and install lilo.

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
"Allan Valeriano"

On Jan 3, 2008 8:51 PM, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
> Check this out:
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/GRUB_error_17_after_kernel_update
>
> Or:
>
> grub error 17 "Cannot mount selected partition" happens usually because
> the "root" argument given to grub is wrong. At the grub menu, press 'e'
> and check the "root (hd0,2)" or similar line. You can go into command
> mode with 'c' and use the 'find' command to locate the right partition,
> for instance: find /boot/grub/menu.lst

I can't reach the grub menu. The error appear before it loads

> Once you have found the right (hdx,y) partition, edit the root line in
> the grub menu. After booting up, edit the #groot= line in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst and run 'sudo update-grub'.
> (lifted from
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/14606)
>
> The first seems link basically says the first thing, more or less.
>
> Can you boot the computer from the livecd?
> That way, you could edit your grub.conf, e2fsck or any other thing you
> need to do that
> you are currently unable to do, since the derned thang won't boot.

I can boot from the livecd, but it seems that the /boot/grub dir is
not there. I tryed e2fsck, but couldn't figure out how to get it to
ork. =/
Any other way?

--Valeriano

Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 AM
anthony baldwin

Allan Valeriano wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 8:51 PM, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Check this out:
>> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/GRUB_error_17_after_kernel_update
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> grub error 17 "Cannot mount selected partition" happens usually because
>> the "root" argument given to grub is wrong. At the grub menu, press 'e'
>> and check the "root (hd0,2)" or similar line. You can go into command
>> mode with 'c' and use the 'find' command to locate the right partition,
>> for instance: find /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>

> I can't reach the grub menu. The error appear before it loads
>

>> Once you have found the right (hdx,y) partition, edit the root line in
>> the grub menu. After booting up, edit the #groot= line in
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst and run 'sudo update-grub'.
>> (lifted from
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/14606)
>>
>> The first seems link basically says the first thing, more or less.
>>
>> Can you boot the computer from the livecd?
>> That way, you could edit your grub.conf, e2fsck or any other thing you
>> need to do that
>> you are currently unable to do, since the derned thang won't boot.
>>

> I can boot from the livecd, but it seems that the /boot/grub dir is
> not there. I tryed e2fsck, but couldn't figure out how to get it to
> ork. =/
> Any other way?

I'm not exactly an expert with grub, but, I'm trying to use my limited
knowledge to assist. Likely I should leave the matter to someone with
greater knowledge...
all the same -
How/where are looking for the /boot/grub directory?

I mean, when the Livecd is in, it should mount your hdd, and you should
see it on the desktop...
You are looking in there for /boot/grub, right?
It won't be in your /home directory, either...
I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence here, because I intend to
assist,
and not offend.
If you are, and don't find it, you need to reinstall grub.

With the LiveCD in, have you tried to reinstall grub?
That might be your best bet.

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

mais la langue, aucun homme ne peut la dompter;
c'est un mal qu'on ne peut réprimer;
elle est pleine d'un venin mortel.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM
"Allan Valeriano"

On Jan 3, 2008 11:08 PM, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm not exactly an expert with grub, but, I'm trying to use my limited
> knowledge to assist. Likely I should leave the matter to someone with
> greater knowledge...
> all the same -
> How/where are looking for the /boot/grub directory?

I've just opened a terminal, and typed cd /boot/grub and it appeared
that this dir doesn't exist.

> If you are, and don't find it, you need to reinstall grub.
>
> With the LiveCD in, have you tried to reinstall grub?
> That might be your best bet.

I reinstalled grub using "sudo apt-get install grub", but it said I
already have the latest version of grub, so I entered synaptic and
marked grub for reinstallation, did the whole thing and I'm still
receiving the same Error 17. =/
I had the same problem on my laptop when I repartitioned the hard disk
there, but this time I was doing that on windows, with Partition
Magic, and the linux distro I was using, was Fedora. Back there, I
just removed Fedora and installed Ubuntu over it. This time I *really*
don't want to reinstall everything from the beginning.
Any other idea?

--Valeriano

Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
marvin mckinley

I may be wrong but when I installed Ubuntu with the live cd one of the last things I observed on the nautilus window was that grub was removed.

Allan Valeriano <allvaleriano@gmail.com> wrote: On Jan 3, 2008 11:08 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:
> I'm not exactly an expert with grub, but, I'm trying to use my limited
> knowledge to assist. Likely I should leave the matter to someone with
> greater knowledge...
> all the same -
> How/where are looking for the /boot/grub directory?

I've just opened a terminal, and typed cd /boot/grub and it appeared
that this dir doesn't exist.

> If you are, and don't find it, you need to reinstall grub.
>
> With the LiveCD in, have you tried to reinstall grub?
> That might be your best bet.

I reinstalled
grub using "sudo apt-get install grub", but it said I
already have the latest version of grub, so I entered synaptic and
marked grub for reinstallation, did the whole thing and I'm still
receiving the same Error 17. =/
I had the same problem on my laptop when I repartitioned the hard disk
there, but this time I was doing that on windows, with Partition
Magic, and the linux distro I was using, was Fedora. Back there, I
just removed Fedora and installed Ubuntu over it. This time I *really*
don't want to reinstall everything from the beginning.
Any other idea?

--Valeriano

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Cassiel

Hello list,

as you guess I am having serious boot problems, grub loading fails at stage 1.5 with "Error 17".

I did not install/re-install anything, resize partitions or anything else could do something wrong. I was trasferring data from my usb HD when the process stopped (input/output error) and the system went completely frozen.

>From that moment on I can not boot from HD.

Using knoppix I can read all partitions... exept /home and /

I tried to reinstall grub on MBR using the ubuntu studio rescue (apologize for that :-) ) and SGD (Super Grub Disk).

The former stops during device mapping, showing partitions like /dev/sd1, /dev/sd2 and so on which is quite absurd, the latter is unable to install grub on the MBR (for the same problem I guess ...) and to boot any of the two OS* (XP is there, but I do not boot it from ages )

I would prefer not to do a fresh install if not necessary even if my data are backed up on a safe partition.

Any ideas? Can I resume my lenny?

regards
raffaele

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Jochen Schulz

Cassiel:

> I did not install/re-install anything, resize partitions or anything else
> could do something wrong. I was trasferring data from my usb HD when the
> process stopped (input/output error) and the system went completely frozen.
>> From that moment on I can not boot from HD.
>
> Using knoppix I can read all partitions... exept /home and /

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. Boot from a rescue disk and fsck
all filesystems. smartctl might give some clues what's wrong with the
disk. In any case make sure you have backups of everything you'd rather
not lose.

> I would prefer not to do a fresh install if not necessary even if my data
> are backed up on a safe partition.

There are disk migration howtos for linux irrespective of the
distribution you are using. You might want to follow them to move your
system to a new disk and then analyze what's wrong with your current
disk.

J.
--
The houses of parliament make me think of school bullies.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Hi there,

after intstalling 8.10 on a hp P4 Notebook parallely to Win XP, grub
quits loading with error 17. I tried to reinstall grub using the
following instructions provided by Samuel Rhode on this list:

When you get to
the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the
commands and then I will explain them later)
Code:
sudo grub
This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub
shell). At grub>. enter these commands
Code:
find /boot/grub/stage1
This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the
installation that you want to provide the grub files.
Next, THIS
IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in
the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3
commands)
Code:
root (hd?,?)
Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned
(hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)

Next enter the
command to install grub to the mbr
Code:
setup (hd0)
Finally exit the grub shell
Code:
quit

I used the 8.10 Live CD. Yet, after following the above instractions,
grub still hangs with error 17 after reboot.

Any hints?

Stephan