Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM
sebastien

Default wpasupplicant uninstall

Hi all !
I used to use a wireless connection but now I stopped using it,
preferring wire to high frequence waves.

I intended to uninstall wpasupplicant.
but synaptic tells me Ive to uninstall networkmanager & co.
Then I have a doubt.

This is a newbee-kind of question. sorry. Can I uninstall it without any
damage for my system ?

seb

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Nils Kassube

sebastien wrote:
> I used to use a wireless connection but now I stopped using it,
> preferring wire to high frequence waves.
>
> I intended to uninstall wpasupplicant.
> but synaptic tells me Ive to uninstall networkmanager & co.
> Then I have a doubt.
>
> This is a newbee-kind of question. sorry. Can I uninstall it without
> any damage for my system ?

I'd rather ask: _Why_ do you want to uninstall wpasupplicant?

If you don't want to have the radio operational, then switch off the
WLAN hardware. That way you can even save some power (about 1W for one
of my machines where I measured it some time ago). Uninstalling
wpasupplicant doesn't switch off the radio. To wsitch off the radio you
can either use a key combination like Fn+F10 (the actual key combination
for your machine depends on the model) or there could be a hardware
switch.

If you only have a very limited amount of disk space, then you could
uninstall wpasupplicant and networkmanager etc. and use a manual network
configuration. But I would only do it if there is a lack of disk space.
It isn't worth the effort if you have enough disk space.

Nils

Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
sebastien

Actually I wanted to remove useless programs to save disk space.
And because I do not have internal wireless antenna but a pcmcia card
that I got rid of.

But your advice is reasonable, and will follow it and leave as is.
Thanks Nils.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Derek Broughton

sebastien wrote:

> Actually I wanted to remove useless programs to save disk space.

I'm afraid that's a completely unachievable goal, nowadays :-) I think I
have four times as many _files_ under apt control now than I did in my
Debian days, and I probably actually have fewer packages...
--
derek