Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Detlef Lechner

Default Cheese: "No camera found!"

Hi,

lsusb recognizes my Web cam Logitec Quickcam E2500 (http://nopaste.debianforum.de/31734). Some days ago this web cam produced pictures and videos on Cheese and Linphone on this Karmic computer but last night Cheese reports: "No camera found!"
At that time /var/log/messages outputs:
http://nopaste.debianforum.de/31733.
'~$ lsmod' signifies that the modules v4l1_compat, vesafb, video and videodev are loaded.
/dev/video0 with (81,0) exists.

'~$ xawtv /dev/video0' produces (except for start messages) the repeating message: "libv4lconvert: Error compressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000ffff." The Huffman values sometimes (but rarely) differ from 000ffff.
I unplugged the USB camera plug and plugged it in the second USB receptacle. This made no difference.
How to troubleshoot?

Regards,
Detlef Lechner

Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/17/2009 12:29 AM, Detlef Lechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lsusb recognizes my Web cam Logitec Quickcam E2500 (http://nopaste.debianforum.de/31734). Some days ago this web cam produced pictures and videos on Cheese and Linphone on this Karmic computer but last night Cheese reports: "No camera found!"
> At that time /var/log/messages outputs:
> http://nopaste.debianforum.de/31733.
> '~$ lsmod' signifies that the modules v4l1_compat, vesafb, video and videodev are loaded.
> /dev/video0 with (81,0) exists.
>
> '~$ xawtv /dev/video0' produces (except for start messages) the repeating message: "libv4lconvert: Error compressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
> 0000ffff." The Huffman values sometimes (but rarely) differ from 000ffff.
> I unplugged the USB camera plug and plugged it in the second USB receptacle. This made no difference.
> How to troubleshoot?

I don't have a great answer. But I had a similar problem, when the
camera would hang, /dev/video0 would exist, but camera not found. When
re-plugging the camera, I would then have both /dev/video0 and
/dev/video1 The latter would work.

I never had time to finish tracking the problem, but I mention it in
case you have the same situation. The extra info might give someone
other ideas. If you have come across solutions, i am interest in hearing.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Detlef Lechner

Patton Echols wrote:
> I don't have a great answer. But I had a similar problem, when the
> camera would hang, /dev/video0 would exist, but camera not found. When
> re-plugging the camera, I would then have both /dev/video0 and
> /dev/video1 The latter would work.
>
> I never had time to finish tracking the problem, but I mention it in
> case you have the same situation. The extra info might give someone
> other ideas. If you have come across solutions, i am interest in hearing.

I believe that my error message was caused by the fact that the program
xawtv was running.
I found an almost identical solution as you:
i.) check in mc if /dev/video0 exists
ii.) check in mc if /dev/video1 exists.
iii.) quit Cheese
iv.) unplug USB plug of camera
v.) re-plug USB plug of camera
vi.) restart Cheese

I believe that there is a programming error in Cheese.

Detlef