Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Lisi

Default DVD files have ownership of 501 so can't copy

I have some files from previous installation that I am trying to copy. The
ownership of the files is 501 and I am being told that I do not have
permission. My attempts to change teh permissions fail.

How can I get at these files? I am running LinuxMint7, but from an admin
point of view it is Ubuntu, since it is very much based on it. LinuxMint7
is, I think, based on Ubuntu 9.04.

TIA
Lisi

Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 AM
arshad

hi,

did you try?:,

sudo chown -R <yourname> <directoryname>

Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Lisi wrote:
> I have some files from previous installation that I am trying to copy. The
> ownership of the files is 501 and I am being told that I do not have
> permission. My attempts to change teh permissions fail.
>
> How can I get at these files? I am running LinuxMint7, but from an admin
> point of view it is Ubuntu, since it is very much based on it. LinuxMint7
> is, I think, based on Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

Try to use sudo cp which will make it a root command and it
will copy the file(s) where you want them. Then you can use
chmod to change the permissions.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI