-   -   Network Traffic measuring tools (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/281545-network-traffic-measuring-tools.html)

Jatin Davey 11-17-2009 01:52 AM

Network Traffic measuring tools

Hi

I a new user who has just switched from windows vista to Ubuntu 9.10. I
have a DSL connection in my home and i use my toshiba laptop connecting
to the DSL router and use the internet. I need a tool that will monitor
the traffic that goes through my wireless or ethernet adapter. I used a
tool on windows Vista called as "Netmeter". This gave me monthly , daily
and weekly reports.

Netmeter :
http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

Can anybody suggest a similar tool like it that i could use on ubuntu 9.10

Thanks
Jatin

Vitorio Okio 11-17-2009 02:03 AM

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:22:30 +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:

> Hi
>
> I a new user who has just switched from windows vista to Ubuntu 9.10. I
> have a DSL connection in my home and i use my toshiba laptop connecting
> to the DSL router and use the internet. I need a tool that will monitor
> the traffic that goes through my wireless or ethernet adapter. I used a
> tool on windows Vista called as "Netmeter". This gave me monthly , daily
> and weekly reports.
>
> Netmeter :
> http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/
>
> Can anybody suggest a similar tool like it that i could use on ubuntu
> 9.10
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

gkrellm (it is in repository, see in synaptic) has traffic monitor build
in. It's not so colourful as Netmeter but gives you quite of control on
the information you want to provided. At least you will have very
detailed info on what you daily, weekly, and monthly uploads and
downloads are.