-   -   Grub 18 Error (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/281532-grub-18-error.html)

Christopher Chan 11-17-2009 01:20 AM

Grub 18 Error

> Four months later, same problem, where about and how in the bios?

Nevermind the bios settings. You can use CHS/LBA/LARGE if you have that
old of a motherboard in the BIOS settings without any problems. You just
need to make sure the partition used for booting is within 'reach' of
the BIOS.

The first partition should be about a few hundred mebibytes in size
(kernel images are small so you really do not need a big /boot filesytem
- 128mebibytes will suffice) and you inform the installer to mount it
under /boot. Then you can setup the second partition for swap (or put
swap on lvm - whatever you fancy - but you might want to avoid any lvm
to avoid potential data loss) and the third partition for everything
else or an extended partition and carve that up into logical partitions.

Suggestions:

hda1 = 128 mebibytes (/boot)
hda2 = 2 gibibytes (swap)
hda3 = everything else (/)

or

hda1 = 128 mebibytes (/boot)
hda2 = 2 gibibytes (swap)
hda3 = everything else extended partition
hda5 = 8 gibibytes (/)
hda6 = rest of extended partition (/home)

John Heinen 11-17-2009 02:01 AM

Grub 18 Error

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Sa, 2009-07-11 at 09:10 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>
>> I have another thread OS boot error that this follows.
>>
>> I installed a 30GB drive that I had laying around. I know its good as
>> I have used it many times for backups.
>>
>> I put it in my machine, ran 9.04 from the cd and everything went fine.
>>
>> However, when I boot up I immediately receive:
>>
>> GRUB Error 18.
>>
> make sure to have LBA mode switched on for that drive in your BIOS
>
> ciao
> oli

Four months later, same problem, where about and how in the bios?
Thanks John

Christopher Chan 11-18-2009 12:52 AM

Grub 18 Error

>> While I was typing the above the computer started up with G Parted, I had left the cd in the slide, trying anything to get it started, well now it givs the oppertyunity to patrittion the hard drive but other than that where do and how do I swith the LBA mode. John

John,

All new computers use LBA by default. If you are using a computer with
older BIOS that still let you choose CHS/LBA/LARGE, you do not have to
bother. All you have to do is make sure that the first partition does
not use any cylinders above 1023. When sizing, tell gparted to start
from cylinder 1 to any number under 1023 (but not too small - you need
at least 100MB for /boot for storing a few versions of the kernel and
their respective initrd images)

John Heinen 11-18-2009 01:33 AM

Grub 18 Error

John Heinen 11-18-2009 02:13 AM

Grub 18 Error

Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> While I was typing the above the computer started up with G Parted, I had left the cd in the slide, trying anything to get it started, well now it givs the oppertyunity to patrittion the hard drive but other than that where do and how do I swith the LBA mode. John
>>>

> John,
>
> All new computers use LBA by default. If you are using a computer with
> older BIOS that still let you choose CHS/LBA/LARGE, you do not have to
> bother. All you have to do is make sure that the first partition does
> not use any cylinders above 1023. When sizing, tell gparted to start
> from cylinder 1 to any number under 1023 (but not too small - you need
> at least 100MB for /boot for storing a few versions of the kernel and
> their respective initrd images)

according to gparted: It has 5005 cylinders but no indication where or
when I can determine no of cylinders, It is strange though, that gparted
got started all by itself but nothing else, but the message grub error 18