Old 11-17-2009, 12:15 AM
NoOp

Default Samba server problem

On 11/16/2009 04:39 PM, p.echols@comcast.net wrote:

> I'll reply again when I have additional data (fixed or not!) thanks for the thoughts.

When you do it will be helpful if you reply to your original thread so
that you don't keep spawning new threads. You now have two threads with
the same subject outside of your original. This makes it hard for anyone
to follow along and offer assistance as they then have to try to figure
out what has taken place in thread 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Tom H

>> Run "smbclient -L 127.0.0.1" to make sure that Windata is shared out.

> I will try that this evening. But since janice can connect from the ubuntu
> desktop machine, wouldn't that tell us that windata is being shared?

I misunderstood. I thought that the Ubuntu box was the server and that
you had logged on to it as janice...

If it works from Linux and not from Windows, you definitely need to
look at the logs (and may end up having to change some Windows
registry settings).

Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 AM
NoOp

On 11/16/2009 04:04 PM, Tom H wrote:

> Run "smbclient -L 127.0.0.1" to make sure that Windata is shared out.
>
> Add "log level = 3" to your global section, remove "guest ok = Yes"
> from your windata section, restart samba, and check /var/log/samba/
> after a logon failure by janice.

Sample from one of my test machines where 'tempdir' is fully accessable
from WinXP:

[tempdir]
path = /home/<username>/tempdir
available = yes
browsable = yes
; public = yes
writable = yes

Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Christopher Chan

> I will try that this evening. But since janice can connect from the ubuntu desktop machine, wouldn't that tell us that windata is being shared?

That is very strange. You have permissions 764 set and so nobody except
patton would be able to see anything under those directories shown.
Also, you did not give us the actual permissions of /raid/Windata.

'ls -ld /raid/Windata' please

Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/16/2009 05:15 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/16/2009 04:39 PM, p.echols@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> I'll reply again when I have additional data (fixed or not!) thanks for the thoughts.
>>

> When you do it will be helpful if you reply to your original thread so
> that you don't keep spawning new threads. You now have two threads with
> the same subject outside of your original. This makes it hard for anyone
> to follow along and offer assistance as they then have to try to figure
> out what has taken place in thread 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Thanks for the heads up. I clicked "reply" every time, but was not at
my laptop where my t-bird email lives so not aware that comcast webmail
was doing that. Since T-bird was able to thread them, I'd have not
known of the problem.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/16/2009 06:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> I will try that this evening. But since janice can connect from the ubuntu desktop machine, wouldn't that tell us that windata is being shared?
>>

> That is very strange. You have permissions 764 set and so nobody except
> patton would be able to see anything under those directories shown.
> Also, you did not give us the actual permissions of /raid/Windata.
>
> 'ls -ld /raid/Windata' please

Uhhh, ok I just learned something. I had thought that you were
*supposed* to set permissions on "data" that are not intended to be
executable to "rw" and not "x". Though now that I look for it, I can't
find a reference for why I "Knew" that. But setting permissions fixed
it. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Would it be better practice to have the directory "owned" by the group
"users" (if you can even to that) and set the permissions to 700, or to
do as it is now, files are "owned" by me, but permissions are 770?

More generically, why all the permission levels if you can't touch the
files w/o the correct "rwx" permissions? or am I missing something
critical? I suppose this question really should be added to my reading
list for future reference.

Thanks for the heads up.

(Since Gary pointed out that I had been posting badly, I am going to
copy a shortened version in the original thread to make it easier find.
He makes a good point that someone else looking for the answer to this
will read that part and maybe not here.)

Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/16/2009 04:04 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> I have a server and have attempted to make a share available to windows users.
>> My problem is that a windows user "Janice" can login to her "home" share.
>> But cannot log in to the "Windata" share.
>>

>> patton@tome:~$ ls -l /raid/Windata
>> total 40
>> drwxrw-r-- 9 patton users 4096 2009-09-19 22:11 All Users

>> One thing about this. When I created the user account,
>> I did not add janice to the group "users".
>> I did that and am able to connect from the "janice" account
>> on the ubuntu desktop machine.
>> But it still does not connect from her windows machine.
>>

>> patton@tome:~$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
>> [global]
>> workgroup = HOME
>> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
>> map to guest = Bad User
>> obey pam restrictions = Yes
>> passdb backend = tdbsam
>> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>> passwd chat = *Entersnews*spassword:* %n
*Retypesnews*spassword:* %n
*passwordsupdatedssuccessfully* .
>> unix password sync = Yes
>> syslog = 0
>> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>> max log size = 1000
>> printcap name = cups
>> dns proxy = No
>> wins support = Yes
>> usershare allow guests = Yes
>> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>>
>> [homes]
>> comment = Home Directories
>> read only = No
>> browseable = No
>>
>> [Windata]
>> comment = Home File Archives
>> path = /raid/Windata
>> read only = No
>> guest ok = Yes
>>

> Run "smbclient -L 127.0.0.1" to make sure that Windata is shared out.
>
> Add "log level = 3" to your global section, remove "guest ok = Yes"
> from your windata section, restart samba, and check /var/log/samba/
> after a logon failure by janice.

This reply is three things, first problem solved, second a duplicate,
third may seem out of place in the thread. It has been pointed out that
some of my posts appeared to be in separate threads. So for future
readers with the same problem, here is my solution .

On 11/16/2009 06:11 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> That is very strange. You have permissions 764 set and so nobody except
> patton would be able to see anything under those directories shown.
> Also, you did not give us the actual permissions of /raid/Windata.
>
> 'ls -ld /raid/Windata' please

Uhhh, ok I just learned something. I had thought that you were
*supposed* to set permissions on "data" that are not intended to be
executable to "rw" and not "x". Though now that I look for it, I can't
find a reference for why I "Knew" that. But setting permissions fixed
it. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Would it be better practice to have the directory "owned" by the group
"users" (if you can even to that) and set the permissions to 700, or to
do as it is now, files are "owned" by me, but permissions are 770?

So following chmod -R 770 /raid/Windata everything is set to:

drwxrw-r-- 9 patton users 4096 2009-09-19 22:11 Windata

Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Christopher Chan

> Uhhh, ok I just learned something. I had thought that you were
> *supposed* to set permissions on "data" that are not intended to be
> executable to "rw" and not "x". Though now that I look for it, I can't
> find a reference for why I "Knew" that. But setting permissions fixed
> it. A couple of questions if you don't mind.
>
> Would it be better practice to have the directory "owned" by the group
> "users" (if you can even to that) and set the permissions to 700, or to
> do as it is now, files are "owned" by me, but permissions are 770?
>
> So following chmod -R 770 /raid/Windata everything is set to:
>
> drwxrw-r-- 9 patton users 4096 2009-09-19 22:11 Windata
>
> More generically, why all the permission levels if you can't touch the
> files w/o the correct "rwx" permissions? or am I missing something
> critical? I suppose this question really should be added to my reading
> list for future reference.

It is already 'owned' by users. The first set of permissions related to
the user owner, the second set to the group owner and the last set to
everybody else.

For directories, the 'x' bit represents the permission to search (go
into - not list contents of) the directory while it represents the
permission to execute for files.

If you setup a directory with 3 or '-wx' permissions, you can put files
in that directory but not list the contents.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Patton Echols

On 11/16/2009 10:13 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Uhhh, ok I just learned something. I had thought that you were
>> *supposed* to set permissions on "data" that are not intended to be
>> executable to "rw" and not "x". Though now that I look for it, I can't
>> find a reference for why I "Knew" that. But setting permissions fixed
>> it. A couple of questions if you don't mind.
>>
>> Would it be better practice to have the directory "owned" by the group
>> "users" (if you can even to that) and set the permissions to 700, or to
>> do as it is now, files are "owned" by me, but permissions are 770?
>>
>> So following chmod -R 770 /raid/Windata everything is set to:
>>
>> drwxrw-r-- 9 patton users 4096 2009-09-19 22:11 Windata
>>
>> More generically, why all the permission levels if you can't touch the
>> files w/o the correct "rwx" permissions? or am I missing something
>> critical? I suppose this question really should be added to my reading
>> list for future reference.
>>

> It is already 'owned' by users. The first set of permissions related to
> the user owner, the second set to the group owner and the last set to
> everybody else.
>

> For directories, the 'x' bit represents the permission to search (go
> into - not list contents of) the directory while it represents the
> permission to execute for files.

Ok, thanks. Not quite sure I get it, but as I said, permissions is on
my reading list. At least my server is working properly . . . until I
implement the next thing!

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in, I appreciate it.