FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Ed Lazerus
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Dear list,

Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this /etc/alternative mess?
it is cause so many things to not work, many seem to be disabled and links to non existent files.
Please, I'm not interested in fixing the alternatives stuff, I would like to know if it can be removed completely so installed softwares work as they should.


I run Hardy and decided to use a 21st century version of aMSN and not the old rubbish we have to put up with, I removed amsn and amsn-data, I built the new aMSN, and run make deb, install with dpkg, all good, until I try run and it complain about wish (I create symlink so amsn now good) , this is just one of many things I find not work, so decide alternatives has to go because I have better things to do then recreate a lot of symlinks.


ciao Eddie


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Ed Lazerus wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this
> /etc/alternative mess?
> it is cause so many things to not work, many seem to be disabled and links
> to non existent files.
> Please, I'm not interested in fixing the alternatives stuff, I would like to
> know if it can be removed completely so installed softwares work as they
> should.
>
> I run Hardy and decided to use a 21st century version of aMSN and not the
> old rubbish we have to put up with, I removed amsn and amsn-data, I built
> the new aMSN, and run make deb, install with dpkg, all good, until I try run
> and it complain about wish (I create symlink so amsn now good) , this is
> just one of many things I find not work, so decide alternatives has to go
> because I have better things to do then recreate a lot of symlinks.
>
> ciao Eddie
>
>
I looked and Ubuntu Jaunty does have a /etc/alternatives but
in all the time I have had Jaunty I had no reason to look at
the directory. It has a lot of stuff for sure. I have Hardy
too. Also never ever looked at that. How did YOU manage to
screw it up?

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Ed Lazerus wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this
> /etc/alternative mess?

Afaik, it can't be done. Every time you manually create a symlink that
could be handled by alternatives, you risk breaking something else, and it
will likely be replaced the next time the package providing the old symlink
is upgraded anyway. Why anyone would _want_ to do it is beyond me - trying
to get around it is what tends to cause the "mess". If you'd actually
explained what you want to do and why alternatives causes a problem, it
would be a whole lot easier to figure out how to help you.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Ed Lazerus
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

Ed Lazerus wrote:

> Dear list,

>

> Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this

> /etc/alternative mess?

> it is cause so many things to not work, many seem to be disabled and links

> to non existent files.

> Please, I'm not interested in fixing the alternatives stuff, I would like to

> know if it can be removed completely so installed softwares work as they

> should.

>

> I run Hardy and decided to use a 21st century version of aMSN and not the

> old rubbish we have to put up with, I removed amsn and amsn-data, I built

> the new aMSN, and run make deb, install with dpkg, all good, until I try run

> and it complain about wish (I create symlink so amsn now good) , this is

> just one of many things I find not work, so decide alternatives has to go

> because I have better things to do then recreate a lot of symlinks.

>

> ciao Eddie

>

>

* * * *I looked and Ubuntu Jaunty does have a /etc/alternatives but

in all the time I have had Jaunty I had no reason to look at

the directory. It has a lot of stuff for sure. I have Hardy

too. Also never ever looked at that. How did YOU manage to

screw it up?



73 Karl

I screwed nothing up, I did not like the very old versions of lynx, and amsn, so i used synaptic to completely remove them, then i installed the source for lynx, and built amsn using make deb, so ubuntu screwed up

*by not removing whatever it wants in /etc/alternatives given I used complete remove option.

Also java wont run, and I never touched anything to do with that one!







--



* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* * * * Key ID = 3951B48D





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Ed Lazerus
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Ed Lazerus wrote:



> Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this

> /etc/alternative mess?



Afaik, it can't be done. This is a VERY bad move.
**Every time you manually create a symlink that


could be handled by alternatives, you risk breaking something else, and it

will likely be replaced the next time the package providing the old symlink

See my post to Karl, if I use complete remove it should do that and allow me to run the true binary.
*

is upgraded anyway. Why anyone would _want_ to do it is beyond me - trying

see my post to Karl, I like to run for some modern features some programs, surely that is not beyond you?

*

to get around it is what tends to cause the "mess". *If you'd actually

explained what you want to do and why alternatives causes a problem, it

would be a whole lot easier to figure out how to help you.

I thought I did, my apology, English not so good, see message to Karl.

ciao Eddie

*

--

derek





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Ed Lazerus wrote:
>
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com
> <mailto:klarsen1@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Ed Lazerus wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this
> > /etc/alternative mess?
> > it is cause so many things to not work, many seem to be disabled
> and links
> > to non existent files.
> > Please, I'm not interested in fixing the alternatives stuff, I
> would like to
> > know if it can be removed completely so installed softwares work
> as they
> > should.
> >
> > I run Hardy and decided to use a 21st century version of aMSN
> and not the
> > old rubbish we have to put up with, I removed amsn and
> amsn-data, I built
> > the new aMSN, and run make deb, install with dpkg, all good,
> until I try run
> > and it complain about wish (I create symlink so amsn now good) ,
> this is
> > just one of many things I find not work, so decide alternatives
> has to go
> > because I have better things to do then recreate a lot of symlinks.
> >
> > ciao Eddie
> >
> >
> I looked and Ubuntu Jaunty does have a /etc/alternatives but
> in all the time I have had Jaunty I had no reason to look at
> the directory. It has a lot of stuff for sure. I have Hardy
> too. Also never ever looked at that. How did YOU manage to
> screw it up?
>
> 73 Karl
>
>
> I screwed nothing up, I did not like the very old versions of lynx,
> and amsn, so i used synaptic to completely remove them, then i
> installed the source for lynx, and built amsn using make deb, so
> ubuntu screwed up
> by not removing whatever it wants in /etc/alternatives given I used
> complete remove option.

Yes you did. This is how Ubuntu was built and you will find the same I
suspect in other distributions that are more recent.

You should have built your new amsn according to the layout the Ubuntu
amsn package uses and then upgrade or done a source compile installation
into /opt and adjusted the symlinks accordingly in /etc/alternatives.

>
> Also java wont run, and I never touched anything to do with that one!


Others do not have a problem with Java except maybe getting a 64-bit
plugin that some websites are happy with and that is solved without
breaking the alternatives system.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Ed Lazerus wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Derek Broughton
> <derek@pointerstop.ca>wrote:
>
>> Ed Lazerus wrote:
>>
>> > Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this
>> > /etc/alternative mess?
>>
>> Afaik, it can't be done.
>
> This is a VERY bad move.
>
>
>> Every time you manually create a symlink that
>> could be handled by alternatives, you risk breaking something else, and
>> it will likely be replaced the next time the package providing the old
>> symlink
>>
>
> See my post to Karl, if I use complete remove it should do that and allow
> me to run the true binary.

I saw that post. It doesn't tell me what you _really_ want to do.

Completely remove "what"? If you completely remove a package that uses
alternatives, it will either provide no binary, or alternatives will point
to an alternative. That seems right. You _can't_ remove "update-
alternatives", and therefore the alternatives facility, because it's part of
dpkg - which is a core part of any Debian system.
>
>
>> is upgraded anyway. Why anyone would _want_ to do it is beyond me -
>> trying
>>
>
> see my post to Karl, I like to run for some modern features some programs,
> surely that is not beyond you?

OK, if you're going to be insulting I see no need to help you, but in any
case it _isn't_ under any circumstances necessary to remove the alternatives
facility. But you're on your own now.

--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Christopher Chan wrote:

>
> You should have built your new amsn according to the layout the Ubuntu
> amsn package uses and then upgrade or done a source compile installation
> into /opt and adjusted the symlinks accordingly in /etc/alternatives.
>

That is, "adjust the symlinks by using update-alternatives" - otherwise
there's always the possibility that a future package will overwrite the
symlink. otoh, I already told him I wasn't going to help anymore...
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Ed Lazerus
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:



> I screwed nothing up, I did not like the very old versions of lynx,

> and amsn, so i used synaptic to completely remove them, then i

> installed the source for lynx, and built amsn using make deb, so

> ubuntu screwed up

> *by not removing whatever it wants in /etc/alternatives given I used

> complete remove option.



Yes you did. This is how Ubuntu was built and you will find the same I

suspect in other distributions that are more recent.



If this is true, then ubuntu is not for me, if I wish dictatorship in operating system, I'll use windows!
To expect someone to know this must be done a certain way is unreasonable and not good for linux.


*You should have built your new amsn according to the layout the Ubuntu

amsn package uses and then upgrade or done a source compile installation

into /opt and adjusted the symlinks accordingly in /etc/alternatives.



it should run regardless, again, dictatorship, to expect people to know to link to this that links to that, is lamer material.

thank you for your words, I know going to install opensuse which does not from googling use this stupid messy alternatives rubbish.

*
*ciao Eddie


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default etc alternatives craziness

Ed Lazerus wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ed Lazerus wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this
>>> /etc/alternative mess?
>>> it is cause so many things to not work, many seem to be disabled and
>> links
>>> to non existent files.
>>> Please, I'm not interested in fixing the alternatives stuff, I would like
>> to
>>> know if it can be removed completely so installed softwares work as they
>>> should.
>>>
>>> I run Hardy and decided to use a 21st century version of aMSN and not the
>>> old rubbish we have to put up with, I removed amsn and amsn-data, I built
>>> the new aMSN, and run make deb, install with dpkg, all good, until I try
>> run
>>> and it complain about wish (I create symlink so amsn now good) , this is
>>> just one of many things I find not work, so decide alternatives has to go
>>> because I have better things to do then recreate a lot of symlinks.
>>>
>>> ciao Eddie
>>>
>>>
>> I looked and Ubuntu Jaunty does have a /etc/alternatives but
>> in all the time I have had Jaunty I had no reason to look at
>> the directory. It has a lot of stuff for sure. I have Hardy
>> too. Also never ever looked at that. How did YOU manage to
>> screw it up?
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>
>
> I screwed nothing up, I did not like the very old versions of lynx, and
> amsn, so i used synaptic to completely remove them, then i installed the
> source for lynx, and built amsn using make deb, so ubuntu screwed up
> by not removing whatever it wants in /etc/alternatives given I used
> complete remove option.
>
> Also java wont run, and I never touched anything to do with that one!
>
>
>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> Key ID = 3951B48D
>>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>>
>

Your using Hardy 8.04 and you don't like the old applications
which were new when Hardy was new. Have you considered
upgrading to say Jaunty? I am using that and like it. Has
newer stuff.

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org