Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Steve Flynn

Default 9.04 version for church audio recording

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM, thomas <valhalla2100@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am going to try to set up another computer to be used in my
> Buddhist Church to record the messages and etc..

and etcetera?

24/7 recording or just specific times? I'll assume you mean the latter...

> The computer is an Intel based computer of maybe 5 - 7 years
> old that I donated. It has ample hard drive space and it was
> built with top level components when I purchased it .

You requirements are light - a machine from the last 5 years should be
more than adequate.

> I am going to install the Ubuntu 9.04 that I got from a disk of
> the Linux Starter Kit special magazine.

9.10 ha s just been made available - you may, or may not, want to
upgrade to it. Choice is yours.

> I need to get software to record the messages and maybe a
> program to edit and convert them to MP3, WAV and whatever
> other formats that website visitors need.

Audacity will cater to your requirements. In fact, it'll do more than
suffice unless you want to automate much of the work,

> Any ideas on where to go to look for such information?
> Does anyone have ideas on what would work best?

Start with the basic stuff - audacity to record input, convert to
multiple format and produce output files. Should you require something
more sophisticated, the windows world (which rules in this respect)
would have you dropping a license on ProTools but as I doubt you want
to be throwing around that kind of cash...

> I think that this version should not be upgraded for a long time
> and if it works we will not want to risk changing anything.

In that case, I would definitely look at the LTS (Long Term Support)
releases of Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) would be you friend in this case.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0