Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
thomas

Default 9.10 boot up and video problems

Hello,

Sunday I wrote that my boot up problem was no more.

I was wrong. After using the computer for maybe five hours
it again flaked out. Lost all the icons on the screen. When I
did a cold turn off and restart I got the message again:
"Reboot and select Proper boot device - or insert boot media
and press any key". I was in the process of writing an e/m note,
which I lost.

I tried to reboot a few times then gave up and worked off of the
try out version on the Ubuntu 9.04 disk that I got with the
'Linux Starter Kit' magazine.

This morning I decided to try again. An hour ago, I turned the
computer on. It booted up normal. I am going to copy crucial
files (e/m, pictures and browser favorite to a thumb drive and
then try to fix the problem. This might mean going back to
9.04, which was working OK.

I got an answer from someone on how to locate the Firebird file.
Where is the Firefox favorites located?

Thomas

Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 PM
NoOp

On 11/16/2009 12:51 PM, thomas wrote:
> Hello,

Hello back. *Please do not* hijack other's threads. Start your own,
thank you.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sunday I wrote that my boot up problem was no more.
>
> I was wrong. After using the computer for maybe five hours
> it again flaked out. Lost all the icons on the screen. When I
> did a cold turn off and restart I got the message again:
> "Reboot and select Proper boot device - or insert boot media
> and press any key". I was in the process of writing an e/m note,
> which I lost.
>
> I tried to reboot a few times then gave up and worked off of the
> try out version on the Ubuntu 9.04 disk that I got with the
> 'Linux Starter Kit' magazine.
>
> This morning I decided to try again. An hour ago, I turned the
> computer on. It booted up normal. I am going to copy crucial
> files (e/m, pictures and browser favorite to a thumb drive and
> then try to fix the problem. This might mean going back to
> 9.04, which was working OK.
>
> I got an answer from someone on how to locate the Firebird file.
> Where is the Firefox favorites located?
>
> Thomas

When I set up a new version I have to transfer all my stuff
to that version and I do that by replacing the
/home/name/.mozilla-thunderbird with the one from your
previous version.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
thomas

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/16/2009 12:51 PM, thomas wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

> Hello back. *Please do not* hijack other's threads. Start your own,
> thank you.

OH!

Sorry. I thought that I deleted all of the content for the existing
thread and
made it a fresh blank email.

Thomas

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Leonard

thomas wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/16/2009 12:51 PM, thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>> Hello back. *Please do not* hijack other's threads. Start your own,
>> thank you.
>>

> OH!
>
> Sorry. I thought that I deleted all of the content for the existing
> thread and
> made it a fresh blank email.
>
> Thomas

Sorry too, but what you did doesn't start a new thread. It just
continues on the original thread and confuses everybody. As you were
told, You must start a new compose email to Ubuntu Users list with your
own subject to start a new thread. What's so hard about doing that.

--
Leonard lenc5570@sbcglobal.net