Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Jatin Davey

Default JRE And Ubuntu

Hi all

I have five questions:

1. Does the default ubuntu 9.10 download include JRE when we download
the .iso files from a peer-to-peer network client like utorrent ?
2. If not which version of JRE can be installed without any issues on
Ubuntu 9.10 ?
3. After installing JRE on ubuntu 9.10 how do i check whether it is
installed or not ?
4. After installation where would normally get installed on a linux OS ,
It is under "Program Files" normally under windows OS ?
5. Does the CD have JRE in it ? Just want to make sure before
downloading it.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Leonard

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have five questions:
>
> 1. Does the default ubuntu 9.10 download include JRE when we download
> the .iso files from a peer-to-peer network client like utorrent ?

Don't know about the iso for sure but the normal repos do. Aptitude
search jre list several renditions including Sun.

> 2. If not which version of JRE can be installed without any issues on
> Ubuntu 9.10 ?

icedtea-6-jre-cacao and sevral other related jre apps are installed by
default on my karmic. I have installed manually sun-java6-jre which
works fine and shows up on my browsers aboutlugins. If there is a
dependency issue apt/aptitude should take care of it.

> 3. After installing JRE on ubuntu 9.10 how do i check whether it is
> installed or not ?

aptitude show <pkg name of jre you installed> or even aptitude search
<pkg name> would show if it is installed. You could also use any apt
related gui(synaptic, etc) and search for it. This is pretty basic
Debian/Ubuntu Linux which you should know unless this is your first
venture into Debian based Linux.

> 4. After installation where would normally get installed on a linux OS ,
> It is under "Program Files" normally under windows OS ?

It should show up in the system/applications menu in either gnome or
kubuntu-desktop. Do "locate jre"(without quotes) from the command line
to see all the folders(dir) that have jre in the path. There will be
many. You appear to be a windoze user just starting out in Ubuntu
linux, if so, calling attention to that fact may get you more useful,
explicit help.

> 5. Does the CD have JRE in it ? Just want to make sure before
> downloading it.

Im pretty sure it dose and you can verify by reading the CD's folders or
going to the download site and looking at the files contained in the iso
file. You have nothing to worry about regarding jre. Just download the
live CD or alternate CD iso, install Ubuntu and enjoy. It is advisable
that you read up on howto install Ubuntu using the iso file
and howto make an iso image on a CD before attempting to actually
install K(U)buntu. Many newcomers don't know how to make(burn) an iso
image to a CD(DVD) or burn it at too fast a speed causing errors in the
burning process. A little study before hand will save you some
headaches. HTH,

--
Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Jatin Davey

Leonard wrote:
> Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have five questions:
>>
>> 1. Does the default ubuntu 9.10 download include JRE when we download
>> the .iso files from a peer-to-peer network client like utorrent ?
>>

> Don't know about the iso for sure but the normal repos do. Aptitude
> search jre list several renditions including Sun.
>

>> 2. If not which version of JRE can be installed without any issues on
>> Ubuntu 9.10 ?
>>

> icedtea-6-jre-cacao and sevral other related jre apps are installed by
> default on my karmic. I have installed manually sun-java6-jre which
> works fine and shows up on my browsers aboutlugins. If there is a
> dependency issue apt/aptitude should take care of it.
>

>> 3. After installing JRE on ubuntu 9.10 how do i check whether it is
>> installed or not ?
>>

> aptitude show <pkg name of jre you installed> or even aptitude search
> <pkg name> would show if it is installed. You could also use any apt
> related gui(synaptic, etc) and search for it. This is pretty basic
> Debian/Ubuntu Linux which you should know unless this is your first
> venture into Debian based Linux.
>

>> 4. After installation where would normally get installed on a linux OS ,
>> It is under "Program Files" normally under windows OS ?
>>

> It should show up in the system/applications menu in either gnome or
> kubuntu-desktop. Do "locate jre"(without quotes) from the command line
> to see all the folders(dir) that have jre in the path. There will be
> many. You appear to be a windoze user just starting out in Ubuntu
> linux, if so, calling attention to that fact may get you more useful,
> explicit help.
>

>> 5. Does the CD have JRE in it ? Just want to make sure before
>> downloading it.
>>

> Im pretty sure it dose and you can verify by reading the CD's folders or
> going to the download site and looking at the files contained in the iso
> file. You have nothing to worry about regarding jre. Just download the
> live CD or alternate CD iso, install Ubuntu and enjoy. It is advisable
> that you read up on howto install Ubuntu using the iso file
> and howto make an iso image on a CD before attempting to actually
> install K(U)buntu. Many newcomers don't know how to make(burn) an iso
> image to a CD(DVD) or burn it at too fast a speed causing errors in the
> burning process. A little study before hand will save you some
> headaches. HTH,
>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin

Thanks Leonard.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Leonard

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Leonard wrote:
>> Jatin Davey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have five questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Does the default ubuntu 9.10 download include JRE when we download
>>> the .iso files from a peer-to-peer network client like utorrent ?
>>>

>> Don't know about the iso for sure but the normal repos do. Aptitude
>> search jre list several renditions including Sun.
>>

>>> 2. If not which version of JRE can be installed without any issues on
>>> Ubuntu 9.10 ?
>>>

>> icedtea-6-jre-cacao and sevral other related jre apps are installed by
>> default on my karmic. I have installed manually sun-java6-jre which
>> works fine and shows up on my browsers aboutlugins. If there is a
>> dependency issue apt/aptitude should take care of it.
>>

>>> 3. After installing JRE on ubuntu 9.10 how do i check whether it is
>>> installed or not ?
>>>

>> aptitude show<pkg name of jre you installed> or even aptitude search
>> <pkg name> would show if it is installed. You could also use any apt
>> related gui(synaptic, etc) and search for it. This is pretty basic
>> Debian/Ubuntu Linux which you should know unless this is your first
>> venture into Debian based Linux.
>>

>>> 4. After installation where would normally get installed on a linux OS ,
>>> It is under "Program Files" normally under windows OS ?
>>>

>> It should show up in the system/applications menu in either gnome or
>> kubuntu-desktop. Do "locate jre"(without quotes) from the command line
>> to see all the folders(dir) that have jre in the path. There will be
>> many. You appear to be a windoze user just starting out in Ubuntu
>> linux, if so, calling attention to that fact may get you more useful,
>> explicit help.
>>

>>> 5. Does the CD have JRE in it ? Just want to make sure before
>>> downloading it.
>>>

>> Im pretty sure it dose and you can verify by reading the CD's folders or
>> going to the download site and looking at the files contained in the iso
>> file. You have nothing to worry about regarding jre. Just download the
>> live CD or alternate CD iso, install Ubuntu and enjoy. It is advisable
>> that you read up on howto install Ubuntu using the iso file
>> and howto make an iso image on a CD before attempting to actually
>> install K(U)buntu. Many newcomers don't know how to make(burn) an iso
>> image to a CD(DVD) or burn it at too fast a speed causing errors in the
>> burning process. A little study before hand will save you some
>> headaches. HTH,
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Jatin
>>>

> Thanks Leonard.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

You're much welcome and welcome to Ubuntu.

--
Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net