Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
"Kevin Ireson"

Default implementing digest security on Ubuntu

Hi,

I have been having some problems recently with dictionary
attacks on my server. 1000's and 1000's of attempted logins using an array of
user names.

I have managed to solve this issue temporarily, however
after having read up about this problem, it seems Digest security would solve
the issue.

From what I have read Digest would mean a random number is
allocated to every user login attempt. This is put into the response headers and
MUST be returned to the server each time a user attempts to log on.

I am
a novice with server maintenance, but I would like to know if it is easy to
implement digest security measures and the obvious benefits of this vs.
dictionary attacks.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kevin

http://www.icmyhotel.com