Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
khobbos khobbos

Default help!! iseries as/400 or tn5250 config

Dear sir

This is Sami

I am trying to switch to open source OS
and I start using UBUNTU

Usually under windows i use AS/400
client access to work with our IBM V4R4 server

I download
��iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm��

When I try to convert it to .deb using
alien I received this message

���sami@sami-desktop:~$ cd
~/Desktop

sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo alien
iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm

[sudo] password for sami:

error: incorrect format: unknown tag

Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts
in package iSeriesAccess: postinst postrm prerm

Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to
include the scripts.

iseriesaccess_5.4.0-2.4_i386.deb
generated

sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ ���

I try to use the generated (deb) file

It install without any error

But I can�t find iseries application
and can�t run it from terminal (don't know the command)

Any suggestion about how to solve this
problem?

After I gave up I try to use tn5250
emulator which can access our V4R4

But again I face 2 problem:

First : with window size it is 24*80
and it must configure to be 27*132 columns, how can we adjust it??

Second : it�s not recognizing Arabic
fonts

Note that I am using
((ubuntu-9.10-desktop)) and this is the first time I use linux (glad
to try so)

Many thanks for your support

Windows 7: Make your own home movies. Learn more.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

khobbos khobbos wrote:

> Dear sir
> This is Sami
> I am trying to switch to open source OS
> and I start using UBUNTU
> Usually under windows i use AS/400
> client access to work with our IBM V4R4 server
>

> I download
> “”iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm””
> When I try to convert it to .deb using
> alien I received this message
>

> “””sami@sami-desktop:~$ cd
> ~/Desktop
> sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo alien
> iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm

This is a file for another type of Linux. It is not a .deb
file, it is .rpm and will not work.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM
matteo filippetto

2009/11/16 khobbos khobbos <khobbos@live.com>:
> Dear sir
>
> This is Sami
>
> I am trying to switch to open source OS and I start using UBUNTU
>
> Usually under windows i use AS/400 client access to work with our IBM V4R4
> server
>
> I download “”iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm””
>
> When I try to convert it to .deb using alien I received this message
>
> “””sami@sami-desktop:~$ cd ~/Desktop
>
> sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo alien iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm
>
> [sudo] password for sami:
>
> error: incorrect format: unknown tag
>
> Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package iSeriesAccess: postinst
> postrm prerm
>
> Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
>
> iseriesaccess_5.4.0-2.4_i386.deb generated
>
> sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ “””
>
> I try to use the generated (deb) file
>
> It install without any error
>
> But I can’t find iseries application and can’t run it from terminal (don't
> know the command)
>
> Any suggestion about how to solve this problem?
>
> After I gave up I try to use tn5250 emulator which can access our V4R4
>
> But again I face 2 problem:
>
> First : with window size it is 24*80 and it must configure to be 27*132
> columns, how can we adjust it??
>
> Second : it’s not recognizing Arabic fonts
>
> Note that I am using ((ubuntu-9.10-desktop)) and this is the first time I
> use linux (glad to try so)
>
> Many thanks for your support

Hi Sami,

in my company I use tn5250j (http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/)
that as better performance and is easly to use. It also has a lot
of functions.

Bye bye

--
Matteo Filippetto

Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Brian McKee

2009/11/16 khobbos khobbos <khobbos@live.com>:
> Usually under windows i use AS/400 client access to work with our IBM V4R4
> server
> I download “”iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm””

I suggest you remove it and start again changing the alien command
just slightly to prevent problems down the road.

Open up a terminal and type or copy-paste the indented lines
sudo aptitude remove iseriesaccess
then make sure you have this package
sudo aptitude install libmotif3
Then convert the rpm using the '-ckv' options
sudo alien -ckv iSeriesAccess*.rpm
Then install it again
sudo dpkg -i iseriesaccess*.deb

Note everything is installed in /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess with symlinks
in /usr/bin
There is one more trick to work around an IBM bug. It doesn't handle
UTF8 locales. Run
locale | grep LANG
On my machine I get LANG=en_CA.UTF-8.
It sounds like you will have something different there.
Take that value and add it to next command.
e.g. I ran
sudo locale-gen en_CA
Do what's right for you.

Ok, now all that stuff is out of the way there are two programs.

ibm5250
starts the emulator

setup5250
starts a configuration shortcut setup program

To make a button you can click on, right click on your desktop and
choose 'make launcher'
Type is Application
Name is whatever you want to call it
Command will be /usr/bin/setup5250 or /usr/bin/ibm5250
Comment is again whatever you want - thats the message that shows up
when you hover the mouse over the icon
You can click on the little springy picture and change the icon to
something else if you wish.
Hit ok and you'll get an icon on your desktop. Test it and make sure it works.
To add that to your menus, right click on 'Applications' and choose 'edit menus'
You can drag and drop that icon from your desktop into the spot you
want it to be.
Once it's there, you can delete it off your desktop if you like.

Let me know if any of that needs more clarification etc.

Brian

Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
John L Fjellstad

khobbos khobbos <khobbos@live.com> writes:

> But I can’t find iseries application
> and can’t run it from terminal (don't know the command)

sudo dpkg -L <deb-file without version and .deb> will list all the files
in that deb. Look for files in the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directories

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM
John L Fjellstad

"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> writes:

>> “””sami@sami-desktop:~$ cd
>> ~/Desktop
>> sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo alien
>> iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm
>
> This is a file for another type of Linux. It is not a .deb
> file, it is .rpm and will not work.

alien converts .rpm to .deb and .deb to .rpm (and also to Slackware
formatted packages)

Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
khobbos khobbos

Dear Matteo

10x a lot for your support

i tried tn5250j and it works greatly

but when i run it, its always asking about the connection configuration (it's not saving the connection) so each time i need to enter the setting

any suggestion !!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM
matteo filippetto

2009/11/17 khobbos khobbos <khobbos@live.com>:
> Dear Matteo
>
> 10x a lot for your support
>
> i tried tn5250j and it works greatly
>
> but when i run it, its always asking about the connection configuration
> (it's not saving the connection) so each time i need to enter the setting
>
> any suggestion !!
>

>> From: matteo.filippetto@gmail.com
>> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:10:58 +0100
>> Subject: Re: help!! iseries as/400 or tn5250 config
>> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> 2009/11/16 khobbos khobbos <khobbos@live.com>:
>> > Dear sir
>> >
>> > This is Sami
>> >
>> > I am trying to switch to open source OS and I start using UBUNTU
>> >
>> > Usually under windows i use AS/400 client access to work with our IBM
>> > V4R4
>> > server
>> >
>> > I download “”iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm””
>> >
>> > When I try to convert it to .deb using alien I received this message
>> >
>> > “””sami@sami-desktop:~$ cd ~/Desktop
>> >
>> > sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo alien iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.4.i386.rpm
>> >
>> > [sudo] password for sami:
>> >
>> > error: incorrect format: unknown tag
>> >
>> > Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package iSeriesAccess:
>> > postinst
>> > postrm prerm
>> >
>> > Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
>> >
>> > iseriesaccess_5.4.0-2.4_i386.deb generated
>> >
>> > sami@sami-desktop:~/Desktop$ “””
>> >
>> > I try to use the generated (deb) file
>> >
>> > It install without any error
>> >
>> > But I can’t find iseries application and can’t run it from terminal
>> > (don't
>> > know the command)
>> >
>> > Any suggestion about how to solve this problem?
>> >
>> > After I gave up I try to use tn5250 emulator which can access our V4R4
>> >
>> > But again I face 2 problem:
>> >
>> > First : with window size it is 24*80 and it must configure to be 27*132
>> > columns, how can we adjust it??
>> >
>> > Second : it’s not recognizing Arabic fonts
>> >
>> > Note that I am using ((ubuntu-9.10-desktop)) and this is the first time
>> > use linux (glad to try so)
>> >
>> > Many thanks for your support

>> Hi Sami,
>>
>> in my company I use tn5250j (http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/)
>> that as better performance and is easly to use. It also has a lot
>> of functions.
>>
>> Bye bye
>>
>> --
>> Matteo Filippetto
>>
>> --

you should find a directory called .tn5250j in your home. If not
try to make an hidden directory called ".tn5250j" under your home
with full access for your account ( 744 is a good idea for permission).

best regards

--
Matteo Filippetto

Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM
khobbos khobbos

Dear Matteo

thanks a lot

the suggestion works very cool

Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Glenn Holmer

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:52 +0300, khobbos khobbos wrote:
> After I gave up I try to use tn5250 emulator which can access our V4R4
>

> But again I face 2 problem:
>
> First : with window size it is 24*80 and it must configure to be
> 27*132 columns, how can we adjust it??

We start it with the argument "env.TERM=IBM-3477-FC", which should make
the window expand to 132 columns when needed.

More information including a mailing list can be found here:

http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org