FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 AM
HermanAA
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

I do save some of the good info on this list. It takes too much time.
Is it possible to save an entire thread in one go?
I use Evolution (default setup) in Ubuntu 8.10.

Saving an entire thread in one go (all the text, delete the chaff
manually) would be a big time-saver.

For my reading I filter on subject, then 'read' each message in the
thread.
To save a thread I now (for each message) 'select all text' and 'copy'
and save using gedit.

Herman in Philippines.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Andrew Farris
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:11 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
> I do save some of the good info on this list. It takes too much time.
> Is it possible to save an entire thread in one go?
> I use Evolution (default setup) in Ubuntu 8.10.

yes. To do this in evolution select a message in the thread you want to
save, hit "ctrl+H" to select the entire thread, then "right-click > Save
As" and Evolution will save the entire thread in a plain-text file as
you see it, with the header information separating the messages.

You can do this with individual messages too...just skip the 'ctrl+h'
step.

> Saving an entire thread in one go (all the text, delete the chaff
> manually) would be a big time-saver.

Agreed. Alternatively, you could also just copy the thread name, and the
date, and save that someplace, then search the online archives if you
ever need the info.... though sometimes its still good to have a local
copy.

> For my reading I filter on subject, then 'read' each message in the
> thread.

you should switch to threaded mode by checking the "View > [ ] Group by
Threads" box (or hit ctrl+T). It makes following threads of conversation
clearer.

> To save a thread I now (for each message) 'select all text' and 'copy'
> and save using gedit.

Hopefully the "right-click > Save As" will save you a bit of time

to trim out all the crap, you could even write a little script to
process the file with after saving... might be a little more work, but
might be a fun project too.


--
Andrew
_____________________________
Registered Linux User: 473690
Registered Ubuntu User: 22747


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 AM
HermanAA
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 02:57 -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:11 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
> > I do save some of the good info on this list. It takes too much time.
> > Is it possible to save an entire thread in one go?
> > I use Evolution (default setup) in Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> yes. To do this in evolution select a message in the thread you want to
> save, hit "ctrl+H" to select the entire thread, then "right-click > Save
> As" and Evolution will save the entire thread in a plain-text file as
> you see it, with the header information separating the messages.
>
> You can do this with individual messages too...just skip the 'ctrl+h'
> step.
>
> > Saving an entire thread in one go (all the text, delete the chaff
> > manually) would be a big time-saver.
>
> Agreed. Alternatively, you could also just copy the thread name, and the
> date, and save that someplace, then search the online archives if you
> ever need the info.... though sometimes its still good to have a local
> copy.
>
> > For my reading I filter on subject, then 'read' each message in the
> > thread.
>
> you should switch to threaded mode by checking the "View > [ ] Group by
> Threads" box (or hit ctrl+T). It makes following threads of conversation
> clearer.
>
> > To save a thread I now (for each message) 'select all text' and 'copy'
> > and save using gedit.
>
> Hopefully the "right-click > Save As" will save you a bit of time
>
> to trim out all the crap, you could even write a little script to
> process the file with after saving... might be a little more work, but
> might be a fun project too.

Thanks Andrew ! (great answer!)
I am going to check out every way you indicated.
(lack of time to check-things-out/research is a serious problem here)

Herman in Philippines.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Andrew Farris
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 17:13 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks Andrew ! (great answer!)
> I am going to check out every way you indicated.
> (lack of time to check-things-out/research is a serious problem here)

No problem... I understand completely.

In fact, right now I should be resting up for my big test tomorrow
instead of staying up till ridiculous hours of the night writing emails
but hey, its all fun, right?

On that note, the idea of writing a script to trim saved emails is
intriguing me now... I may take a break from making my game to fiddle
with this idea next week if I can make some decent progress between now
and then.

--
Andrew
_____________________________
Registered Linux User: 473690
Registered Ubuntu User: 22747


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

Isn't it easier just to do nothing? Just don't delete anything and
they will always be available for you on the mail server, right?

Johnny Rosenberg


2009/11/16 Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 17:13 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
> [snip]
>> Thanks Andrew ! (great answer!)
>> I am going to check out every way you indicated.
>> *(lack of time to check-things-out/research is a serious problem here)
>
> No problem... I understand completely.
>
> In fact, right now I should be resting up for my big test tomorrow
> instead of staying up till ridiculous hours of the night writing emails
> but hey, its all fun, right?
>
> On that note, the idea of writing a script to trim saved emails is
> intriguing me now... I may take a break from making my game to fiddle
> with this idea next week if I can make some decent progress between now
> and then.
>
> --
> Andrew
> _____________________________
> Registered Linux User: 473690
> Registered Ubuntu User: 22747
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
HermanAA
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 02:57 -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:11 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
> > I do save some of the good info on this list. It takes too much time.
> > Is it possible to save an entire thread in one go?
> > I use Evolution (default setup) in Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> yes. To do this in evolution select a message in the thread you want to
> save, hit "ctrl+H" to select the entire thread, then "right-click > Save
> As" and Evolution will save the entire thread in a plain-text file as
> you see it, with the header information separating the messages.
>
> You can do this with individual messages too...just skip the 'ctrl+h'
> step.
>
> > Saving an entire thread in one go (all the text, delete the chaff
> > manually) would be a big time-saver.
>
> Agreed. Alternatively, you could also just copy the thread name, and the
> date, and save that someplace, then search the online archives if you
> ever need the info.... though sometimes its still good to have a local
> copy.
>
> > For my reading I filter on subject, then 'read' each message in the
> > thread.

NOTE:
The above
>>>> hit "ctrl+H" to select the entire thread,
then "right-click > Save As <<<<

WORKS ONLY if:
-- preceded by CONTROL-T ('group by Threads')
-- or Main Page > VIEW > 'Group by Threads' is ENabled.

> you should switch to threaded mode by checking the "View > [ ] Group by
> Threads" box (or hit ctrl+T). It makes following threads of conversation
> clearer.
>
> > To save a thread I now (for each message) 'select all text' and 'copy'
> > and save using gedit.
>
> Hopefully the "right-click > Save As" will save you a bit of time
>
> to trim out all the crap, you could even write a little script to
> process the file with after saving... might be a little more work, but
> might be a fun project too.
>
>
> --
> Andrew
> _____________________________
> Registered Linux User: 473690
> Registered Ubuntu User: 22747
>

Herman in Philippines.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
HermanAA
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:43 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Isn't it easier just to do nothing? Just don't delete anything and
> they will always be available for you on the mail server, right?
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

It is easier for sure.
(... and Google was set up to do it that way ....)
Plus there is a back-up in the Ubuntu-users archive .....
Perfect!

It does not work for me because of limited time (and, more-and-more:
limited memory, getting old).
I know I would not get back to the server to find out about 'Possible
to save a complete thread?' (see subj of this msg). Not to mention that
I forgot (the existence of it).

But when browsing the 'myLinux' folder, I see a clearly marked folder.

I save what I need for my Linux learning. Topics that I like to learn
about (or really NEED, or that are just plain interesting).
I save by topic, marked my own way, assisting my limited (poor) memory.

It makes VERY interesting reading (for me).
As it is much less than 1/1,000,000 of the volume on the server, I
actually get back to reading these messages.
Especially in times of trouble/need ....

This is a lot more practical for me.

All this material is backed-up.
My system can go bad tonight, with no substantial loss tomorrow.
Plus:
I can skip all threads on rescue subjects.
(just one of many subjects that I can ignore).
That helps me to concentrate on core (MY-Linux-core) subjects.

I think I am making Linux progress in my limited time and in a pleasant
way. Just one tiny step at a time.

The Ubuntu-users list is a valuable addition to all the above.
THANKS to all on the list.
And (again) special Thanks Andrew Farris for his well-thought-out answer.

Herman in Philippines.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

2009/11/16 HermanAA <hermanaa@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:43 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Isn't it easier just to do nothing? Just don't delete anything and
>> they will always be available for you on the mail server, right?
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> It is easier for sure.
> *(... and Google was set up to do it that way ....)
> *Plus there is a back-up in the Ubuntu-users archive .....
> *Perfect!
>
> It does not work for me because of limited time (and, more-and-more:
> limited memory, getting old).
> I know I would not get back to the server to find out about 'Possible
> to save a complete thread?' (see subj of this msg). Not to mention that
> I forgot (the existence of it).
>
> But when browsing the 'myLinux' folder, I see a clearly marked folder.
>
> I save what I need for my Linux learning. Topics that I like to learn
> about (or really NEED, or that are just plain interesting).
> I save by topic, marked my own way, assisting my limited (poor) memory.
>
> It makes VERY interesting reading (for me).
> As it is much less than 1/1,000,000 of the volume on the server, I
> actually get back to reading these messages.
> Especially in times of trouble/need ....
>
> This is a lot more practical for me.
>
> All this material is backed-up.
> My system can go bad tonight, with no substantial loss tomorrow.
> Plus:
> *I can skip all threads on rescue subjects.
> *(just one of many subjects that I can ignore).
> *That helps me to concentrate on core (MY-Linux-core) subjects.
>
> I think I am making Linux progress in my limited time and in a pleasant
> way. Just one tiny step at a time.
>
> The Ubuntu-users list is a valuable addition to all the above.
> *THANKS to all on the list.
> And (again) special Thanks Andrew Farris for his well-thought-out answer.
>
> Herman in Philippines.

OK. I have Evolution installed but I almost never use it, at least not
for email. I use my web browser and GMail. I never delete anything, I
just ”Archive”. When I need to look at something I do a simple search
and when I find the subject line I was looking for I have the rest of
the whole conversation too, just like that… I can't see how it can be
more simple. Before I had GMail I used Opera M2 for email. It was the
same thing. Search for some words, find your thread and the whole
conversation is there. I think it is the same with all email clients,
at least it should be.
Ok, just wanted to mention it. Of course you do what you think is best for you.

Johnny Rosenberg

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
user1
 
Default Possible to save a complete thread?

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:11:59 +0800, HermanAA wrote:

> I do save some of the good info on this list. It takes too much time. Is
> it possible to save an entire thread in one go? I use Evolution (default
> setup) in Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Saving an entire thread in one go (all the text, delete the chaff
> manually) would be a big time-saver.
>
> For my reading I filter on subject, then 'read' each message in the
> thread.
> To save a thread I now (for each message) 'select all text' and 'copy'
> and save using gedit.
>
> Herman in Philippines.

Install pan (with synaptic) - that is the best newsreader I have found

Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - insert news.gmane.org

Choose gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (that's ubuntu-users)

Right click and choose surbsribe.

Then each time you open pan right click subscribed groups and choose:

"Get New Headers in Subscribed Groups"

But pan can do a lot more for you (I have used it for a long time).


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org