Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Detlef Lechner

Default Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage?

Hello,
Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage although it writes
syslogs?
'~$ man syslog.conf; No manual entry for syslog.conf'.
The Internet does provide one, though:
http://linux.die.net/man/5/syslog.conf.

Regards,
Detlef Lechner

Old 11-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Detlef Lechner wrote:
> Hello,
> Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage although it writes
> syslogs?
> '~$ man syslog.conf; No manual entry for syslog.conf'.
> The Internet does provide one, though:
> http://linux.die.net/man/5/syslog.conf.

It's actually available from two packages. Here's how I figured that out:

man 5 syslog.conf
man: can't resolve /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz: No such file or
directory
No manual entry for syslog.conf in section 5

apt-file update

apt-file search /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz

inetutils-syslogd: /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
sysklogd: /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz

You probably only want one of these.

Matthew Flaschen

Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Tim Frost

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 06:57 +0100, Detlef Lechner wrote:
> Hello,
> Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage although it writes
> syslogs?

because karmic installs rsyslogd, which has its own configuration file,
rsyslog.conf, which has its own man page

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz>

Old 11-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Detlef Lechner

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage although it writes
>> syslogs?
>> '~$ man syslog.conf; No manual entry for syslog.conf'.
>> The Internet does provide one, though:
>> http://linux.die.net/man/5/syslog.conf.
>>

> It's actually available from two packages. Here's how I figured that out:
>
> man 5 syslog.conf
> man: can't resolve /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz: No such file or
> directory
> No manual entry for syslog.conf in section 5
>
> apt-file update
>
> apt-file search /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
>
> inetutils-syslogd: /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
> sysklogd: /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
>
> You probably only want one of these.
>
> Matthew Flaschen
Karmic does not install by default the DEB program package
'inetutils-syslogd'. Still Karmic provides a file /var/log/syslog. Thus
I find the Synaptic statement: "system logging daemon: The syslog daemon
is responsible for providing logging of messages received from programs
and facilities on the local host as well as from remote hosts." wrong or
at least misleading. According to Synaptic's text I should not have a
file /var/log/syslog as I did not install the DEB program package
'inetutils-syslogd'. -- Can you comment.

Detlef Lechner

Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Detlef Lechner

Tim Frost wrote:
> because karmic installs rsyslogd, which has its own configuration file,
> rsyslog.conf, which has its own man page

Ah! Thank you very much for your explanation.

Detlef

Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Detlef Lechner wrote:

> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage although it writes
>>> syslogs?
>>> '~$ man syslog.conf; No manual entry for syslog.conf'.
>>> The Internet does provide one, though:
>>> http://linux.die.net/man/5/syslog.conf.
>>>

>> It's actually available from two packages. Here's how I figured that
>> out:
>> apt-file search /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
>>
>> inetutils-syslogd: /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
>> sysklogd: /usr/share/man/man5/syslog.conf.5.gz
>>
>> You probably only want one of these.

> Karmic does not install by default the DEB program package
> 'inetutils-syslogd'. Still Karmic provides a file /var/log/syslog. Thus
> I find the Synaptic statement: "system logging daemon: The syslog daemon
> is responsible for providing logging of messages received from programs
> and facilities on the local host as well as from remote hosts." wrong or
> at least misleading.

Why? Actually, by default, Ubuntu provides logging via rsyslog (it's in
main - sysklogd and inetutils-syslogd are in universe), and rsyslog provides
syslog.conf and a man page for it. inetutils-syslogd is only one of quite a
few ways to get a syslog daemon, but I'm sure from its authors point of
view, it was "the" daemon when he first wrote it).

> According to Synaptic's text I should not have a
> file /var/log/syslog as I did not install the DEB program package
> 'inetutils-syslogd'. -- Can you comment.

All that says is that /var/log/syslog is explicitly provided by inetutils-
syslogd. Nothing says another package can't create it in its post-install
script.
--
derek

Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Tim Frost wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 06:57 +0100, Detlef Lechner wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Why does Karmic not provide a syslog.conf manpage although it writes
>> syslogs?
>
> because karmic installs rsyslogd, which has its own configuration file,
> rsyslog.conf, which has its own man page

Oh, silly me. I did "dlocate syslog.conf" and got the file and the man
page, but didn't even notice the fact that there was an "r" at the front of
the name :-)
--
derek

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Detlef Lechner

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>

>> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>>
>>> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>>>

>> Karmic does not install by default the DEB program package
>> 'inetutils-syslogd'. Still Karmic provides a file /var/log/syslog. Thus
>> I find the Synaptic statement: "system logging daemon: The syslog daemon
>> is responsible for providing logging of messages received from programs
>> and facilities on the local host as well as from remote hosts." wrong or
>> at least misleading.
>>

> Why? Actually, by default, Ubuntu provides logging via rsyslog (it's in
> main - sysklogd and inetutils-syslogd are in universe), and rsyslog provides
> syslog.conf and a man page for it. inetutils-syslogd is only one of quite a
> few ways to get a syslog daemon, but I'm sure from its authors point of
> view, it was "the" daemon when he first wrote it).
>

>> According to Synaptic's text I should not have a
>> file /var/log/syslog as I did not install the DEB program package
>> 'inetutils-syslogd'. -- Can you comment.
>>

> All that says is that /var/log/syslog is explicitly provided by inetutils-
> syslogd. Nothing says another package can't create it in its post-install
> script.

Thank you for explaining.

Detlef