-   -   sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/28096-sound-recording-does-not-work-intel-hd-audio.html)

"fred@saintcyp-forever.fr" 01-03-2008 06:17 PM

sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

(2nd try email as I do not receive the original one as I usually do...)

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to record audio (TV) that's plugged on the Line
in jack of my ASUS P5B deluxe card. This is an intel HD audio codec
(Analog Devices AD1988B), on a ICH8 chipset.

I think I tried almost everything : I tried arecord, audacity (and sox
also), but I never get one sound recorded.
I get at most some noise.

Still I *hear* the audio on the PC speakers !
I can mute this audio doing :
amixer set Line off
or
amixer set 'Analog Mix' off

I can also change volumes and other things using kmixer or alsamixer, and Line
is selected as an input source in the recording properties of the mixers.

So I'm wondering what else I could try ? Why can't I get any audio
recorded from the Line source ?
The alsa changelogs do not seem to show many things have been improved
concerning the snd_hda_intel module, so I'm wondering if it's worth
spending time trying the 1.0.15 version instead of the Gutsy 1.0.14 ...

Would you have any hint on what else I could try or who I should contact to get this solved ?
Thanks && regards

Fred Schaer 01-04-2008 05:46 PM

sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

Hi,

(auxiliary question : why aren't my emails making it to the list ? I don't receive them, and nor do I see them on the list archives... 3rd attempt)

I'm desperately trying to record audio (from TV - I have no problem with capturing the video) that's plugged on the Line in jack of my ASUS P5B deluxe card. This is an intel HD audio codec (Analog Devices AD1988B), on a ICH8 chipset.

I think I tried almost everything : I tried arecord, audacity (and sox also), but I never get one sound recorded.
I get at most some noise.

Still I *hear* the audio on the PC speakers !
I can mute this audio doing :
amixer set Line off
or
amixer set 'Analog Mix' off

I can also change volumes and so on using kmixer or alsamixer, and Line is selected as an input source in the recording properties of the mixers.

So I'm wondering what else I could try ? Why can't I get any audio recorder from the Line source ?

Colin Pinkney 01-04-2008 08:30 PM

sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

Hi Fred

On Friday 04 Jan 2008, Fred Schaer wrote:
> I'm desperately trying to record audio (from TV - I have no problem with
> capturing the video) that's plugged on the Line in jack of my ASUS P5B
> deluxe card. This is an intel HD audio codec (Analog Devices AD1988B), on a
> ICH8 chipset.
[Snip]

> So I'm wondering what else I could try ? Why can't I get any audio recorder
> from the Line source ? The alsa changelogs do not seem to show many things
> have been improved concerning the snd_hda_intel module, so I'm wondering if
> it's worth spending time trying the 1.0.15 version instead of the Gutsy
> 1.0.14 ...

Assuming you are already using Gutsy, you could try enabling the backports
repository, which I think it is labelled Unsupported Updates in Adept, and
then install linux-backports-modules as this contains version 1.0.15 of the
ALSA drivers for Gutsy. I installed this just today on my Toshiba laptop to
fix a couple of issues with my sound using the same snd_hda_intel module (It
is now much louder and plugging in headphones cuts off the speakers as it
should do).

Do you also have the following line at the end of
your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base or something similar?

options snd-hda-intel model=asus

You will need to reboot for this change to take effect unless you can unload
and reload all the sound modules. I have seen the line above fix issues for
other ASUS owners.

Hope that helps.

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Fred Schaer 01-05-2008 03:09 PM

sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

Hi,

Thanks for the answer :)
Actually, I'm indeed running Gutsy, so I may try to use backports to see
if it helps.

I just checked, I don't have snd-hda-intel (or snd_hda_intel ?) anywhere
in /etc : maybe the module is loaded in the initrd ? In that case, I'll
try to regenerate the initrd files...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try all this :)

Regards

"D. Michael McIntyre" 01-05-2008 05:17 PM

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Fred Schaer wrote:
> I just checked, I don't have snd-hda-intel (or snd_hda_intel ?) anywhere
> in /etc : maybe the module is loaded in the initrd ? In that case, I'll
> try to regenerate the initrd files...

You won't find a kernel module in /etc. The modules are the various .ko files
under /lib/modules/$YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION, but you have no reason to go
screwing around with any of that. The modules are not going to be loaded by
your initd, which is only for critical modules necessary for booting, like
the drivers for filesystems and various kinds of storage hardware.

What you want to start with is lsmod to see which modules are loaded. You'll
probably find your snd_hda_intel there. I don't know how to fix your
problem, but I deal with how_to_get_sound_working issues constantly, and I've
seen a lot of people reporting problems with Intel and HD in them, to the
point where I really hate that chip, even though I don't know anything about
it.

I'd try the ALSA upgrade first. Who knows.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Fred Schaer 01-05-2008 05:29 PM

sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

LOL !
Considering the time I spent searching for a solution before posting, I
starting to feel like you about this chip ;)

Thanks, I actually knew where to find modules.
Thing is I don't know yet why snd_hda_intel is actually loaded :

fred:~$ lsmod | grep snd_hda
snd_hda_intel 263712 1
snd_pcm 80388 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd 54660 11
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

But as I said, nothing is in /etc : it's why I was guessing it was
loaded at boot time, by initrd.
Could the module have been loaded because it was a dependency for
something else ?

"D. Michael McIntyre" 01-05-2008 06:00 PM

sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Fred Schaer wrote:

> LOL !
> Considering the time I spent searching for a solution before posting, I
> starting to feel like you about this chip ;)

:)

> Thing is I don't know yet why snd_hda_intel is actually loaded :

I haven't looked lately, but this sort of thing used to be done by Debian's
Discover utility, at boot time.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Colin Pinkney 01-05-2008 07:31 PM

On Saturday 05 Jan 2008, Fred Schaer wrote:
> But as I said, nothing is in /etc : it's why I was guessing it was
> loaded at boot time, by initrd.
> Could the module have been loaded because it was a dependency for
> something else ?

What I was actually getting at was that you may need to pass a parameter to
the snd_hda_intel module to enable the correct mixing configuration, which
might enable the sound recording to work properly. It looks like you do not
have any options setup, so you could try adding the following line to the end
of /etc/modules.d/alsa-base:

options snd-hda-intel model=asus

and then reboot. There are several model strings you could try as detailed
here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

Not that it is important since the correct sound modules are loading, but I
believe the kernel has lists of the PCI and other IDs for various hardware
and automatically loads corresponding modules when it sees matching hardware.

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

Jonathan Kaye 01-06-2008 02:28 PM

Fred Schaer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (auxiliary question : why aren't my emails making it to the list ? I don't
> receive them, and nor do I see them on the list archives... 3rd attempt)
>
> I'm desperately trying to record audio (from TV - I have no problem with
> capturing the video) that's plugged on the Line in jack of my ASUS P5B
> deluxe card. This is an intel HD audio codec (Analog Devices AD1988B), on
> a ICH8 chipset.
>
> I think I tried almost everything : I tried arecord, audacity (and sox
> also), but I never get one sound recorded. I get at most some noise.
>
> Still I *hear* the audio on the PC speakers !
> I can mute this audio doing :
> amixer set Line off
> or
> amixer set 'Analog Mix' off
>
> I can also change volumes and so on using kmixer or alsamixer, and Line is
> selected as an input source in the recording properties of the mixers.
>
> So I'm wondering what else I could try ? Why can't I get any audio
> recorder from the Line source ? The alsa changelogs do not seem to show
> many things have been improved concerning the snd_hda_intel module, so I'm
> wondering if it's worth spending time trying the 1.0.15 version instead of
> the Gutsy 1.0.14 ...
>
> Would you have any hint on what else I could try or who I should contact ?
> Thanks && regards
Hi Fred,
Assuming you're using alsa, try the alsamixer and go into input mode. Make
sure the mic capture and mic input volume are set correctly.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!