Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Jonathan Kaye

Default sound recording does not work on intel HD audio ??

Fred Schaer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (auxiliary question : why aren't my emails making it to the list ? I don't
> receive them, and nor do I see them on the list archives... 3rd attempt)
>
> I'm desperately trying to record audio (from TV - I have no problem with
> capturing the video) that's plugged on the Line in jack of my ASUS P5B
> deluxe card. This is an intel HD audio codec (Analog Devices AD1988B), on
> a ICH8 chipset.
>
> I think I tried almost everything : I tried arecord, audacity (and sox
> also), but I never get one sound recorded. I get at most some noise.
>
> Still I *hear* the audio on the PC speakers !
> I can mute this audio doing :
> amixer set Line off
> or
> amixer set 'Analog Mix' off
>
> I can also change volumes and so on using kmixer or alsamixer, and Line is
> selected as an input source in the recording properties of the mixers.
>
> So I'm wondering what else I could try ? Why can't I get any audio
> recorder from the Line source ? The alsa changelogs do not seem to show
> many things have been improved concerning the snd_hda_intel module, so I'm
> wondering if it's worth spending time trying the 1.0.15 version instead of
> the Gutsy 1.0.14 ...
>
> Would you have any hint on what else I could try or who I should contact ?
> Thanks && regards
Hi Fred,
Assuming you're using alsa, try the alsamixer and go into input mode. Make
sure the mic capture and mic input volume are set correctly.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Fred Schaer

Hi,

Just for fun : I'm still trying things, but here are some results :

I managed recording audio with arecord with following command :
arecord -r 44100 -c 2 -f S16_LE | lame -x - out.mp3

Thing is that in order to get that, I had to
- I'm using the alsa option model=6stack
- have "Front Mic" selected as 1st input source (inpurt sources 2 and 3
don't seem to work at all)
- It is *Line in* controls that change the sound on the PC speakers
- Headphones have top be unmuted in alsa play section (why ??)
- in the alsamixer, "Digital" has to be about "-3.50" dB, otherwise,
there's either no sound or just cracking noise (!) -- by the way : is
this normal this gain can be set between -30 and +30 dB ?? I doubt these
values are usefull...
- capture volume does not seem to have any effect...

As you see, this is really really weird... I'm going to retry with no
module option, to see if it helped or not (considering the Digital dB
behaviour, I had no chance tweaking settings with kmix - dB values were
far too low or too high when adjusted with mouse...)

Cheers

P.S : I had no luck recording audio with mencoder , still trying but I
fear alsa recording is buggy there