Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 PM
stan

Default Which MTA is installed on a given machine?

I have several Ubuntu machines at work. They are all relatively current as
far as updates. We are making some changes in our domain, and I need to
reconfigure the MTA on these machiens. How can I figure out which of the
several possible MTA's are installed on each amchine?

Once I know that, it;s just dpkg-reconfigure <pakcage name> to reconfigure
tor fowarding, domain name chabges etc. right?

I have several Ubuntu machines at work. They are all relatively current as
far as updates. We are making some changes in our domain, and I need to
reconfigure the MTA on these machiens. How can I figure out which of the
several possible MTA's are installed on each amchine?

Once I know that, it;s just dpkg-reconfigure <pakcage name> to reconfigure
tor fowarding, domain name chabges etc. right?

You can issue the following command to know which program is listening
on the default smtp port (well...it'll show other numbers with 25 on
them too): netstat -tlnp | grep -i 25

No...dpkg-reconfigure just do the basics.

Regards.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 06:12:00PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I have several Ubuntu machines at work. They are all relatively current as
> far as updates. We are making some changes in our domain, and I need to
> reconfigure the MTA on these machiens. How can I figure out which of the
> several possible MTA's are installed on each amchine?

I would think they'd all have a binary named 'sendmail'. Under that
assumption:

dpkg --search `which sendmail`

> Once I know that, it;s just dpkg-reconfigure <pakcage name> to reconfigure
> tor fowarding, domain name chabges etc. right?

Probably, but I don't recall the level of detail that gives you. With postifx
its fairly straightforward to edit /etc/postfix/main.cf. More convoluted than
that with the package named Sendmail. The other's I don't know.

--
Hal

Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Derek Broughton

stan wrote:

> I have several Ubuntu machines at work. They are all relatively current as
> far as updates. We are making some changes in our domain, and I need to
> reconfigure the MTA on these machiens. How can I figure out which of the
> several possible MTA's are installed on each amchine?
>
> Once I know that, it;s just dpkg-reconfigure <pakcage name> to reconfigure
> tor fowarding, domain name chabges etc. right?

$ telnet localhost smtp
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.