Old 11-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Mark Traceur

Default Media Drive Permissions

I have four drives inside of my computer. Two are for operating
systems (80GB for Kubuntu, 160GB for Vista because it's a resource
hog) and two for media files (videos, pictures, music, documents,
backups, etc.)

One of the media drives (I call him Media, it's a very creatively
named bunch of drives) is mounted perfectly and has everything figured
out in life. He is an ntfs drive.

The other (her name is Media2, she's a bit bigger but Media loves her
very much) is a fat32 partition, and it is also mounted well. However,
I do not have permission to write there. Anytime I want to write to
the disk, I have to do it as root.

I've tried sudo chown -R mark /media/Media2, but it says something
like "chown: changing ownership of `/media/Media2/Movies/Tron':
Operation not permitted" for every file, and I wind up back at square
one.

Is there any way to change the ownership or permissions on a Fat32
drive without reformatting it? I sort of backed myself into a corner
and cannot backup the files right now (though I'm looking into another
drive), so reformatting is currently out of the question (though you
can be sure that, when I do, it will be as ntfs!)

Thanks in advance guys, I added this list last weekend and I already
feel like I know a lot more about Ubuntu! You are all awesome.

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Easiest way to Install Flash Player in Ubuntu Linux -
http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/a4bpk/easiest_way_to_install_flash_player_in_ubuntu/

Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Nils Kassube

Mark Traceur wrote:
> I have four drives inside of my computer. Two are for operating
> systems (80GB for Kubuntu, 160GB for Vista because it's a resource
> hog) and two for media files (videos, pictures, music, documents,
> backups, etc.)
>
> One of the media drives (I call him Media, it's a very creatively
> named bunch of drives) is mounted perfectly and has everything
> figured out in life. He is an ntfs drive.
>
> The other (her name is Media2, she's a bit bigger but Media loves her
> very much) is a fat32 partition, and it is also mounted well.

And always remember that for fat32 the file size limit is 4GiB-1 ... but
that has nothing to do with your permissions problem.

> However, I do not have permission to write there. Anytime I want to
> write to the disk, I have to do it as root.

How do you mount your media partitions? Is it via /etc/fstab, or do you
mount the partitions manually? If it is with /etc/fstab, you should add
the uid and / or gid mount options. Then the relevant fstab line would
look like this:

UUID=9CC4-F7CA /media/Media2 vfat uid=1000,gid=46 0 0

where the UUID is from one of my USB sticks and gid=46 is the group
plugdev on my machine (IIRC this isn't the same number on every system).
If you manually mount the partitions, use the -ouid=1000,gid=46 mount
option for the mount command.

> I've tried sudo chown -R mark /media/Media2, but it says something
> like "chown: changing ownership of `/media/Media2/Movies/Tron':
> Operation not permitted" for every file, and I wind up back at square
> one.

That is expected bahaviour because fat32 doesn't know owner / group
permissions, those are set in stone when the partition is mounted.

Nils

Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Mark Traceur

> How do you mount your media partitions? Is it via /etc/fstab, or do you
> mount the partitions manually? If it is with /etc/fstab, you should add
> the uid and / or gid mount options. Then the relevant fstab line would
> look like this:
>
> UUID=9CC4-F7CA /media/Media2 vfat uid=1000,gid=46 0 0

Awesome! It works now, with this line:

> /dev/sdd1 /media/Media2 vfat uid=1000,gid=46 0 0

(I cheat and use the devices in /dev)

Thanks a lot, Nils, this will make my life soooo much easier!

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Build your own home cinema with Ubuntu 9.10 & Moovida (how-to +
videos) - http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a47oz/build_your_own_home_cinema_with_ubuntu_910/

Old 11-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Nils Kassube

Mark Traceur wrote:
> Awesome! It works now, with this line:
> > /dev/sdd1 /media/Media2 vfat uid=1000,gid=46 0 0
>
> (I cheat and use the devices in /dev)

Better rethink your cheeting. The kernel doesn't guarantee that /dev/sdd
is always this particular disk, even if you don't change the hardware.
You can avoid future trouble if you change the entry to use the UUID. It
isn't too difficult to find out the UUID - use the command

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

and select the link that points to /dev/sdd1 now.

Nils