Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
"Harold Hartley"

Default mouse button

I really haven't had any response to my other question on the mouse
function with the button.
I would like to know what file do I need to edit to disable the keyboard
mouse button so that my mouse cursor doesn't jump all over the screen.
I'm sure most of you have never had a keyboard on a laptop with a mouse
button in the middle of the keyboard. But I just want to disable that
button so I can use only the touchpad for my mouse or a usb mouse.

Thanks
Harold

--
Harold Hartley
wheelie207@ownmail.net

Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Harold Hartley wrote:
> I really haven't had any response to my other question on the mouse
> function with the button.
> I would like to know what file do I need to edit to disable the keyboard
> mouse button so that my mouse cursor doesn't jump all over the screen.
> I'm sure most of you have never had a keyboard on a laptop with a mouse
> button in the middle of the keyboard. But I just want to disable that
> button so I can use only the touchpad for my mouse or a usb mouse.
>
> Thanks
> Harold

You might explain that your using an IBM laptop. I have an
old one and it was possible to turn off the center mounted in
the keyboard mouse in the BIOS setup. I do not recall the
details but I expect you need to do this in all cases. Nothing
in Ubuntu can stop the mouse from working.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM
"Harold Hartley"

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 05:29 -0700, "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Harold Hartley wrote:
> > I really haven't had any response to my other question on the mouse
> > function with the button.
> > I would like to know what file do I need to edit to disable the keyboard
> > mouse button so that my mouse cursor doesn't jump all over the screen.
> > I'm sure most of you have never had a keyboard on a laptop with a mouse
> > button in the middle of the keyboard. But I just want to disable that
> > button so I can use only the touchpad for my mouse or a usb mouse.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Harold
> >

> You might explain that your using an IBM laptop. I have an
> old one and it was possible to turn off the center mounted in
> the keyboard mouse in the BIOS setup. I do not recall the
> details but I expect you need to do this in all cases. Nothing
> in Ubuntu can stop the mouse from working.
>

> 73 Karl

I'll check my bios setup to see if my Dell Latitude D800 has that
setting so I can turn mine off.
I just thought there might be a file to edit that holds the settings for
the mouse.

Thanks
Harold

--
Harold Hartley
wheelie207@ownmail.net

Old 11-16-2009, 01:56 AM
"Mark H. Nichols"

On Nov 14, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Harold Hartley wrote:

> I'm sure most of you have never had a keyboard on a laptop with a mouse
> button in the middle of the keyboard.

The input device you are describing is called a "trackpoint" and has been a feature on IBM ThinkPads for years. It also appears on a number of other machines.

> But I just want to disable that
> button so I can use only the touchpad for my mouse or a usb mouse.

This thread on the Ubuntu forum may offer some assistance: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=889101

Mark