Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Doug Robinson

Default Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 and all applications froze

Melbourne Barton wrote:

Hi:

I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 using the upgrade
manager.

Now, once I login and click on any application, Synaptic
Package manager,

I can see the popup password screen dimly lit but the mouse
freezes.

I can only use some applications if I login in
“gnome safe”
mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mel

Start by backing up as much as possible!!

dkr

Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 AM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 03:18 PM, Doug Robinson wrote:
> Melbourne Barton wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 using the upgrade manager.
>> Now, once I login and click on any application, Synaptic Package manager,
>> I can see the popup password screen dimly lit but the mouse freezes.
>>
>> I can only use some applications if I login in "gnome safe" mode.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mel
>>
> Start by backing up as much as possible!!
> dkr

Wow... that was helpful Doug.

Melbourne, give this a try, open a terminal and:

$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure-a
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Note: you may have to do this several times to get things cleaned up.
Afterwards, report back before you reboot or logout.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Melbourne Barton

Ran the commands a couple times until "upgrade" command gives:

"0 upgrade, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded"

But, no change in status cannot run applications (except the terminal)
unless I login in
"Failsafe GNOME” session.

Thanks,

Mel

Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Melbourne Barton wrote:
> Ran the commands a couple times until "upgrade" command gives:
> "0 upgrade, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded"
>
> But, no change in status cannot run applications (except the terminal)
> unless I login in "Failsafe GNOME" session.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mel
>
> NoOp wrote:

>>> Start by backing up as much as possible!!
>>> dkr
>>>

>> Wow... that was helpful Doug.
>>
>> Melbourne, give this a try, open a terminal and:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install -f
>> $ sudo dpkg --configure-a
>> $ sudo apt-get update
>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> Note: you may have to do this several times to get things cleaned up.
>> Afterwards, report back before you reboot or logout.

Sounds like your Jaunty might be broken. If you stay with
Jaunty is it perfect, or does it have errors? And did you do
what is above my note?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 AM
NoOp

On 11/17/2009 10:22 AM, Melbourne Barton wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>> Melbourne, give this a try, open a terminal and:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install -f
>> $ sudo dpkg --configure-a
>> $ sudo apt-get update
>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> Note: you may have to do this several times to get things cleaned up.
>> Afterwards, report back before you reboot or logout.

> Ran the commands a couple times until "upgrade" command gives:
> "0 upgrade, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded"
>
> But, no change in status cannot run applications (except the terminal)
> unless I login in "Failsafe GNOME" session.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mel

Please bottom post :-)

OK, when logged in to Failsafe, add a new user, reboot & login as that
new user. (Note: please reboot rather than just logging out). See if you
still have the same issues. If not, then you can start looking at the
user profile of your original.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Melbourne Barton

NoOp wrote:

[...]

Failsafe session does not allow to create users, so I did in the gone
session.

Makes no difference. Applications still freeze when I try to run run.

I also tried running applications from the command line and get the
same results as when I click on them.

I even re-installed 9.10 and still et the same results.

Mel

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Melbourne Barton

NoOp wrote:

[...]