Old 11-14-2009, 01:53 PM
"Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)"

Default Gnome upper panel not responding...???

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:

> *For some unknown reason, when I boot up my system here, login, the apps
> do not show up on the upper panel, also it seems that the rest of the
> icons in the lower panel, when clicked on, they do not work...???
>
> What I have done though is to reboot, using the recovery, that seems to
> help then everything is working, but that only works only once in a while...
>
> I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem, *if so have you
> found the fix for it...???
>
> Thanks for any help on this matter...
>
> Larry
> *
>
> --
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 33yr's A.R.O.
> Reg# Linux User 484593
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

Maybe you wanna do a 'yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"' and
then a "yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"'?

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)

Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Larry Shields

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> *For some unknown reason, when I boot up my system here, login, the apps
>> do not show up on the upper panel, also it seems that the rest of the
>> icons in the lower panel, when clicked on, they do not work...???
>>
>> What I have done though is to reboot, using the recovery, that seems to
>> help then everything is working, but that only works only once in a while...
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem, if so have you
>> found the fix for it...???
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this matter...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>
>> --
>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>> by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic
>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 33yr's A.R.O.
>> Reg# Linux User 484593
>>
>> "This is Linux Country,
>> on a quiet night you can hear
>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>
>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>

>> --
>>

> Maybe you wanna do a 'yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"' and
> then a "yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"'?

/*Well thank you very much for telling me how to fix the problem
here...I rebooted the system twice, and the panel apps to in fact show
up each time...So where did you come up with that fix...??

I really appreciate it thanks...

Larry
*/

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 07:48 AM, Larry Shields wrote:
> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>> Maybe you wanna do a 'yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"' and
>> then a "yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"'?
>>

> /*Well thank you very much for telling me how to fix the problem
> here...I rebooted the system twice, and the panel apps to in fact show
> up each time...So where did you come up with that fix...??
>
> I really appreciate it thanks...

Interesting... so you had yum installed and the above worked eh?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Larry Shields

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/14/2009 07:48 AM, Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

>>> Maybe you wanna do a 'yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"' and
>>> then a "yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"'?
>>>

>> /*Well thank you very much for telling me how to fix the problem
>> here...I rebooted the system twice, and the panel apps to in fact show
>> up each time...So where did you come up with that fix...??
>>
>> I really appreciate it thanks...
>>

> Interesting... so you had yum installed and the above worked eh?

/*Hi NoOp,

Yes it worked just fine, and have not had a problem with it at all...I
had asked the fellow, where did he get that info from, but as of yet
I've heard nothing back yet...

So yes it does work...

Larry
*/

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-14-2009, 11:17 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 03:51 PM, Larry Shields wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> /*Well thank you very much for telling me how to fix the problem
>>> here...I rebooted the system twice, and the panel apps to in fact show
>>> up each time...So where did you come up with that fix...??
>>>
>>> I really appreciate it thanks...
>>>

>> Interesting... so you had yum installed and the above worked eh?
>>

> /*Hi NoOp,
>
> Yes it worked just fine, and have not had a problem with it at all...I
> had asked the fellow, where did he get that info from, but as of yet
> I've heard nothing back yet...
>
> So yes it does work...

*Very* interesting...

Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 04:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/14/2009 03:51 PM, Larry Shields wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Interesting... so you had yum installed and the above worked eh?
>>>

>> /*Hi NoOp,
>>
>> Yes it worked just fine, and have not had a problem with it at all...I
>> had asked the fellow, where did he get that info from, but as of yet
>> I've heard nothing back yet...
>>
>> So yes it does work...
>
> *Very* interesting...

and I wonder if:

$ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
$ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

would have accomplished the same?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Graham Watkins

NoOp wrote:
> and I wonder if:
>
> $ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>
> would have accomplished the same?

I have severe panel problems and it didn't work for me.

graham@graham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
[sudo] password for graham:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gnome-desktop-environment is not installed, so not removed
required:
libstdc++5 vorbis-tools libbtctl4 mplayer-skins mplayer libgnomebt0
libid3-3.8.3c2a
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
graham@graham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: fast-user-switch-applet (>=
2.22.0) but it is not installable
Recommends: fam but it is not going to be
installed
E: Broken packages
graham@graham-desktop:~$

Old 11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Larry Shields

Graham Watkins wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> and I wonder if:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
>> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>
>> would have accomplished the same?
>>

> I have severe panel problems and it didn't work for me.
>
> graham@graham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
> [sudo] password for graham:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package gnome-desktop-environment is not installed, so not removed
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
> libstdc++5 vorbis-tools libbtctl4 mplayer-skins mplayer libgnomebt0
> libid3-3.8.3c2a
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> graham@graham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: fast-user-switch-applet (>=
> 2.22.0) but it is not installable
> Recommends: fam but it is not going to be
> installed
> E: Broken packages
> graham@graham-desktop:~$

*Why don't you try this:

*

do a 'yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"' and
>> then a "yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"'?

It worked for me...

I've never had any luck by removing an app, then trying to reinstall it...

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
NoOp

On 11/15/2009 01:26 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> and I wonder if:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
>> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>
>> would have accomplished the same?
>>

> I have severe panel problems and it didn't work for me.
>
> graham@graham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop-environment
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: fast-user-switch-applet (>=
> 2.22.0) but it is not installable
> Recommends: fam but it is not going to be
> installed
> E: Broken packages
> graham@graham-desktop:~$

You apparently are running karmic & there is no fast-user-switch-applet
for karmic:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fast-user-switch-applet

But that probably was the wrong package to suggest anyway
(gnome-desktop-environment). From my Jaunty system:
$ apt-cache policy fast-user-switch-applet
fast-user-switch-applet:
Installed: 2.24.0-0ubuntu13
Candidate: 2.24.0-0ubuntu13
Version table:
*** 2.24.0-0ubuntu13 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy ubuntu-desktop
ubuntu-desktop:
Installed: 1.140
Candidate: 1.140
Version table:
*** 1.140 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy gnome-desktop-environment
gnome-desktop-environment:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1:2.22.2~4ubuntu6
Version table:
1:2.22.2~4ubuntu6 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe Packages

As you can see (and I should have checked first), it's in the universe
packages. Perhaps:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel

would have been the better guess.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-panel

But for your issues; what specifically are you having problems with? If
it's the same (Gnome upper panel not responding) post. If different,
then it might be better to start a new thread :-)

Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
NoOp

On 11/15/2009 11:55 AM, NoOp wrote:
> As you can see (and I should have checked first), it's in the universe
> packages. Perhaps:
Might be of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/meta-gnome2/+bug/451266
[meta-gnome2 not installable, broken package dependencies]
Note the comment in #2.