Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Graham Todd

Default Privoxy Problem Under Karmic

Under previous editions of Ubuntu (as far as I can remember!) once
privoxy was installed, settings were kept and on reboot the settings
were active, and privoxy burst into life.

However, privoxy doesn't do this under Karmic and I have to enter:

sudo /usr/sbin/privoxy

at the start of each session after reboot, or I will not be able to
connect. Has there been a change in Karmic to warrant a bug
notification?

Or is there a simple line to add to a config file somewhere that will
automate this process (ie. privoxy starts automatically with each boot)
- I suspect there is but I can't find it and this is becoming a PITA.

--
Graham Todd

Old 11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Graham Todd:

> Under previous editions of Ubuntu (as far as I can remember!) once
> privoxy was installed, settings were kept and on reboot the settings
> were active, and privoxy burst into life.
>
> However, privoxy doesn't do this under Karmic and I have to enter:
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/privoxy

Not a good idea. This way you start privoxy needlessly as root.
You didn't change the port privoxy listens on to something lower than
1024, did you?
Doesn't
sudo invoke-rc.d privoxy start
or
sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy start
work?

> at the start of each session after reboot, or I will not be able to
> connect. Has there been a change in Karmic to warrant a bug
> notification?

Privoxy starts automatically for me.
What do
ls -l /etc/rc2.d/*privoxy*
and
ls -l /etc/init.d/*privoxy*
show?

Is /var/log/privoxy owned by the user "privoxy"?

--
Regards
mks

Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Graham Todd

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:49:26 +0100
Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> uttered these
words:

> > However, privoxy doesn't do this under Karmic and I have to enter:
> >
> > sudo /usr/sbin/privoxy
>
> Not a good idea. This way you start privoxy needlessly as root.
> You didn't change the port privoxy listens on to something lower than
> 1024, did you?

No. Still the same port starting with 8***

> Doesn't
> sudo invoke-rc.d privoxy start
> or
> sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy start
> work?

Neither of these commands worked the first couple of times, though
they seem to now. I'll keep you informed if there's any change....

>--snipped--<

> Privoxy starts automatically for me.
> What do
> ls -l /etc/rc2.d/*privoxy*

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-11-07 19:13 /etc/rc2.d/S20privoxy
-> ../init.d/privoxy

> and
> ls -l /etc/init.d/*privoxy*
> show?

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4974 2009-07-06 19:33 /etc/init.d/privoxy

Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Graham Todd:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:49:26 +0100
> Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> uttered these
> words:

>> Doesn't
>> sudo invoke-rc.d privoxy start
>> or
>> sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy start
>> work?
>
> Neither of these commands worked the first couple of times, though
> they seem to now. I'll keep you informed if there's any change....

What has changed between the first couple of times and now?

>> Privoxy starts automatically for me.
>> What do
>> ls -l /etc/rc2.d/*privoxy*
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-11-07 19:13 /etc/rc2.d/S20privoxy
> -> ../init.d/privoxy

Looks good.

>> and
>> ls -l /etc/init.d/*privoxy*
>> show?
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4974 2009-07-06 19:33 /etc/init.d/privoxy

Looks good.

>> Is /var/log/privoxy owned by the user "privoxy"?

Is it?
Privoxy seems to silently fail if it can't write it's log file.

--
Regards
mks