Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Jatin Davey

Default No Sound after installing Ubuntu 9.10 (Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386)

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 10:47 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> After installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my toshiba laptop , i am not able to
>> hear any sounds.
>> Actually was not able to play back any movies as well before but after
>> downloading and installing VLC player i am able to see videos but no
>> luck with audio so far. Could anyone let me know what needs to be done
>> to fix this.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> Try going through the different hardware profiles:
> System|Preferences|Sound|Hardware - Profile. Try each one while play in
> a song etc. On my old A21M Thinkpad I found that none of the 'Digital
> Stereo...' profiles work, but 'Analog Surround 4.0 Output' does.

Nothing is displayed in the hardware profiles. No device is displayed.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Jatin Davey

Doug Robinson wrote:
> Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> After installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my toshiba laptop , i am not able to
>> hear any sounds.
>> Actually was not able to play back any movies as well before but after
>> downloading and installing VLC player i am able to see videos but no
>> luck with audio so far. Could anyone let me know what needs to be done
>> to fix this.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> take this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578
>
> worked for me!
>
> dkr

I Tried the steps mentioned for karmic users but none of it worked. In
one of the steps where it is mentioned that the devices need to be
selected from pulseAudioApplet , I could not see any of the input or
output devices.
No input or output devices are listed when the command to install the
pulse audio paackages are downloaded and installed.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Jatin Davey

Doug Robinson wrote:
> Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> After installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my toshiba laptop , i am not able to
>> hear any sounds.
>> Actually was not able to play back any movies as well before but after
>> downloading and installing VLC player i am able to see videos but no
>> luck with audio so far. Could anyone let me know what needs to be done
>> to fix this.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> take this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578
>
> worked for me!
>
> dkr

After following the steps mentioned in the part A section i am still not
able to get any sounds from my laptop. When i check the PulseAudio
volume control application i could see from the output devices tab that
, it is showing as "Dummy Output" . Also no input devices are displayed
on the input devices tab.
Please help i am not able to figure this out.

Thanks
Jatin