Old 11-14-2009, 07:42 AM

Default Ubuntu 9.10 boot problems after automatic update

Hello,

I got another automatic update tonight. After the update was
completed I got the screen of death. Attempted to reboot and
I got a message that certain files were missing and I had to
so a reinstall.

Will this re-install delete the files of the previous 9.10
environment? Will I be able to access them?

All of the items on my desktop took on a strange appearance
and when I clicked on icons I got an error message.

I am using the try out mode of an older version of Ubuntu to
get to the internet and to my Comcast mail.

This is awful.

I would like to get opinions on what other version of LINUX
would members of this group recommend. So far this is a
worse experience than I ever had with versions of Windows that
I installed an was able to use (NT 4 and NT 5 beta were just
not useable). Surely, Vista could not have been as bad as
this.

I don't want to go back to Windows for my internet access but
this problem is too much. If I ever get back to functioning
I will reject all upgrade requests.

Thanks

Thomas S.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Nils Kassube

valhalla2100@comcast.net wrote:
> I got another automatic update tonight. After the update was
> completed I got the screen of death. Attempted to reboot and
> I got a message that certain files were missing and I had to
> so a reinstall.

I don't think I ever saw that message but was there some info which
files were missing? Maybe they could be copied from a LiveCD.

> Will this re-install delete the files of the previous 9.10
> environment? Will I be able to access them?

Yes, a reinstall usually deletes everything of the previous install.
However your personal files can be preserved if you select the manual
partitioning during the installation dialog. There you select the same
file system you have now (probably ext3 because yours is an upgrade from
9.04) and don't select to format the partition. You will get a warning
with an explanation that system directories will be removed but the
/home directory will be preserved. However I would recommend to backup
your important files to an external drive anyway. You can do that from a
LiveCD before you start the installation.

Nils

Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 12:42 AM, valhalla2100@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got another automatic update tonight. After the update was
> completed I got the screen of death. Attempted to reboot and
> I got a message that certain files were missing and I had to
> so a reinstall.

Try booting to recovery mode and selecting the 'dpkg' option.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 AM
thomas

The problem solved itself. however, I am going to kept this in a
file and create a folder (Thunderbird e/m client) for solutions.
This is something that I should print out. Too bad that I can't
save the Thunderbird files in a .txt (or any other format) file as
a batch save.

Thanks for your solution.

Thomas