Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Doug Robinson

Default No Sound after installing Ubuntu 9.10 (Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386)

Jatin Davey wrote:
> After installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my toshiba laptop , i am not able to
> hear any sounds.
> Actually was not able to play back any movies as well before but after
> downloading and installing VLC player i am able to see videos but no
> luck with audio so far. Could anyone let me know what needs to be done
> to fix this.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

take this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

worked for me!

dkr

Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:43:43 -0700, Doug Robinson wrote:

> Jatin Davey wrote:
>> Doug Robinson wrote:
>>
>> snip
>> I Tried the steps mentioned for karmic users but none of it worked. In
>> one of the steps where it is mentioned that the devices need to be
>> selected from pulseAudioApplet , I could not see any of the input or
>> output devices.
>> No input or output devices are listed when the command to install the
>> pulse audio paackages are downloaded and installed.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> Hmm - pusleaudio device chooser does nothing for me i.e. I get no gui
> but pulse audiovolume control works fine.
>
> looking at the volume control
> on my system the "internal Audio Analog Stereo" display seems
> to be most important. clicking mute here turns off sound. The "PCM2900
> Audio Codec Analog Stero" has no apparent effect.
> The "Show" combo box shows "All Output Devices". Which are:
> All Output Devices (default)
> Hardware Output devices
> Virtual Output Devices
>
> I had no end of problems with 9.10. Soud not the leaast of them. This
> guys procedure fix sound completely, well Audicity still has a flow
> though problem. I figure it is an Audicity problem.
>
> If I can help futher feel free but I am no expert on this stuff, just
> lucky i guess.
>
> I hope things work out soon.
>
> dkr

I'm confused because of your earlier post:

-Frans

Old 11-14-2009, 09:11 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 02:51 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
..
> Nothing is displayed in the hardware profiles. No device is displayed.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

I see you started a new thread - see my answer there.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Jatin Davey

Tom Hines wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Jatin Davey <daveyjatin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my toshiba laptop , i am not able to
>> hear any sounds.
>>

> After I upgraded to 9.10 I thought my sound had broken too, but it
> turns out it was just muted. Why, I have no idea.

Thanks all for the help. Sound has started working on my laptop now.
Thanks for the post Mark. For the benefit of all who are following this
mail thread pasting the same solution here as well :

I found a solution here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=452992
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=452992>
as toshiba satellite a135-s2386 have the same sound hardware this will work

here the solution if for some reason the site is down:

go to the terminal and:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

then put this at the bottom:

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=3stack

after that kill pulseaudio with this:

killall pulseaudio

after that restart pulse audio:

sudo alsa force-reload

and finally do aplay -l should have something like this:

adamtheo@laptop-satellite:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

i guess this may help a lot of people here

Thanks
Jatin