Old 11-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Asif Iqbal

Default server upgrade with glitches

Hi

I upgraded from jaunty 64 bit server to karmic 64 bit server and the upgrade was pretty smooth with few glitces

The console was not working since ttyS0 was defined in /etc/event.d and that no longer works per http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910

So I made changes as explained here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto and now console looks lot better.

I also had to remove the splash and quiet again since they reappeared in /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Needed to run update-grub afterwords.

Now the problem is how do I create a* /boot/grub/grub.cfg file from scratch? the upgrade did not create one.
Also there is no /etc/default/grub file. I guess I can create one like the one in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

And I like to migrate to ext4 as well

So all in all, I am looking for ext3 to ext4 upgrade and grub migration procedure from 9.04 to 9.10.

So the upgrade procedure for ubuntu server as shown here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

should really need more than those three steps to cover the ext3 to ext4 and grub upgrade procedure

The release notes only said "Switching to ext4 requires manually updating grub" with a link to ext4 wiki. But no clear steps there.

I really appreciate if someone either provide some steps here or update the content on one of the above links I discussed above

Thanks

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also had to remove the splash and quiet again since they reappeared in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Needed to run update-grub afterwords.
>
> Now the problem is how do I create a* /boot/grub/grub.cfg file from scratch?
> the upgrade did not create one.
> Also there is no /etc/default/grub file. I guess I can create one like the
> one in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto
>
> And I like to migrate to ext4 as well
>
> So all in all, I am looking for ext3 to ext4 upgrade and grub migration
> procedure from 9.04 to 9.10.
>
> So the upgrade procedure for ubuntu server as shown here
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
> should really need more than those three steps to cover the ext3 to ext4 and
> grub upgrade procedure
>
> The release notes only said "Switching to ext4 requires manually updating
> grub" with a link to ext4 wiki. But no clear steps there.

Seems you're still running Grub Legacy.

There are still stability problems with ext4 - beware.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/453579

Grub Legacy and ext4 are not compatible.

You should first update grub to grub2 - read the manual thoroughly
*before* any move.

Only then upgrade to ext4.

Depending on how this server is vital I would stay with grub and ext3
for a while.

Good luck.

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.: 2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Old 11-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Asif Iqbal

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also had to remove the splash and quiet again since they reappeared in

> /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Needed to run update-grub afterwords.

> Now the problem is how do I create a* /boot/grub/grub.cfg file from scratch?

> the upgrade did not create one.

> Also there is no /etc/default/grub file. I guess I can create one like the

> one in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

> And I like to migrate to ext4 as well

> So all in all, I am looking for ext3 to ext4 upgrade and grub migration

> procedure from 9.04 to 9.10.

> So the upgrade procedure for ubuntu server as shown here

> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

> should really need more than those three steps to cover the ext3 to ext4 and

> grub upgrade procedure

> The release notes only said "Switching to ext4 requires manually updating

> grub" with a link to ext4 wiki. But no clear steps there.

Seems you're still running Grub Legacy.

There are still stability problems with ext4 - beware.

* * * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/453579

Grub Legacy and ext4 are not compatible.

You should first update grub to grub2 - read the manual thoroughly

*before* any move.

Only then upgrade to ext4.

Depending on how this server is vital I would stay with grub and ext3

for a while.

It is not vital yet. So it will probably be perfect candidate to make an attempt upgrade to grub2 and then ext4

But I was looking for steps if available to try out

Good luck.

L.

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.

Lat.: *2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

5E42 E02F E21D 171B EA82 *1876 621D 17EB AEBA 4B50

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not vital yet. So it will probably be perfect candidate to make an
> attempt upgrade to grub2 and then ext4
>
> But I was looking for steps if available to try out

Not state of the art but a very good beginning:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto

L.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Asif Iqbal

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not vital yet. So it will probably be perfect candidate to make an

> attempt upgrade to grub2 and then ext4

> But I was looking for steps if available to try out

Not state of the art but a very good beginning:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

so migrating to grub2 was pretty simple. thanks for the url. I just followed and voila!
*

http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto

I am not sure migrating to ext3 to ext4 is as clear. I am using md device of two disks sda and sdb

So this is how my setup looks like

(iqbala)@hobbit-new:~$ df -h

Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md1************** 71G* 2.4G** 65G** 4% /
udev***************** 247M* 160K* 247M** 1% /dev
none***************** 247M**** 0* 247M** 0% /dev/shm
none***************** 247M** 84K* 247M** 1% /var/run

none***************** 247M**** 0* 247M** 0% /var/lock
none***************** 247M**** 0* 247M** 0% /lib/init/rw

So can I just tune the fs while I am on it?

*

L.

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.

Lat.: *2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

5E42 E02F E21D 171B EA82 *1876 621D 17EB AEBA 4B50

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure migrating to ext3 to ext4 is as clear. I am using md device of
> two disks sda and sdb
>
> So this is how my setup looks like

[ ]

> So can I just tune the fs while I am on it?

Sorry Asif, I can't help you on migration details, my ext4 root
partition for Karmic was created from scratch on a single drive.