-   -   Philips webcam (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/28011-philips-webcam.html)

"Dotan Cohen" 01-03-2008 07:01 PM

Philips webcam

I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
before I install this stuff:
http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips regarding this webcam.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Thomas Kaiser 01-03-2008 07:30 PM

Philips webcam

Dotan Cohen wrote:

I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
before I install this stuff:
http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips regarding this webcam.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
×?-ב-×’-ד-×”-ו-×–-×—-ט-×™-ך-×›-ל-×?-מ-ן-× -ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Check http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html and search for spc610nc.
If your cam has a PAC7311 chip, you can get basic support with gspca driver.

The gspca driver in Ubuntu Gutsy is version 01.00.16 but you need at least
01.00.17. I recommend to get the newest source from mxhaard's site.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Gerald Dachs 01-03-2008 07:40 PM

Philips webcam

Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:01:20 +0200
schrieb "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

> I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
> linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
> before I install this stuff:
> http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/

Bad idea, because the pwc module is already part of every ubuntu kernel
package.

Why do you search the web, but not your own machine?

Gerald

"Dotan Cohen" 01-03-2008 08:30 PM

Philips webcam

On 03/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:01:20 +0200
> schrieb "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>
> > I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
> > linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
> > before I install this stuff:
> > http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/
>
> Bad idea, because the pwc module is already part of every ubuntu kernel
> package.
>
> Why do you search the web, but not your own machine?
>
> Gerald

Sorry, what do you mean by search my own machine? Teach me!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Gerald Dachs 01-03-2008 09:24 PM

Philips webcam

Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 23:30:52 +0200
schrieb "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

> On 03/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> > Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:01:20 +0200
> > schrieb "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
> > > linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second
> > > opinion before I install this stuff:
> > > http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/
> >
> > Bad idea, because the pwc module is already part of every ubuntu
> > kernel package.
> >
> > Why do you search the web, but not your own machine?
> >
> > Gerald
> >

> Sorry, what do you mean by search my own machine? Teach me!

Not enough time and normally I get paid for doing this, but
the command 'find /lib/modules/ -name pwc.ko' should show you
the place where the pwc kernel module on your machine
resides. The command find is a very strong and useful command,
'man find' will show you all options. A 'sudo modprobe pwc'
should load it. I own an older Philips Webcam that works fine
with this module, but I don't believe that your new model still
uses this old driver, so follow the advice you got from Thomas Kaiser.

Gerald

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 09:30 PM

Philips webcam

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 03/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:01:20 +0200
>> schrieb "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
>>> linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
>>> before I install this stuff:
>>> http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/
>>>
>> Bad idea, because the pwc module is already part of every ubuntu kernel
>> package.
>>
>> Why do you search the web, but not your own machine?
>>
>> Gerald
>>

> Sorry, what do you mean by search my own machine? Teach me!

Your own machine=Your computer....
You know, the one with ubuntu on it, on which you are reading this message,
which includes the pwc module that you need, already packaged with the
kernel.

Of course, how to find that module might be unclear.
In all likelihood, if you plug the camera in, ubuntu will find it and it
will
just work, because ubuntu will auto-detect the device and find the
module for you.
Many peripherals just work now.
Worst case scenario, ubuntu will say, "Hey...dude...I found new hardware...
what do you want me to do with it?" and give you a dialog box in which
you can fish for the driver it needs, which, in all likelihood, will be
listed in
there with other similar drives, because, at the very least, will know
it's a webcam.

Personally, I know nothing about webcams, but I know that ubuntu had
no problem when I added a printer, or connected my Canon.
It just finds stuff and just works.

and some people still insist that Linux is too hard...
Linux rocks!

/tony

http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

"Dotan Cohen" 01-03-2008 09:41 PM

Philips webcam

On 04/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> Not enough time and normally I get paid for doing this, but
> the command 'find /lib/modules/ -name pwc.ko' should show you
> the place where the pwc kernel module on your machine
> resides. The command find is a very strong and useful command,
> 'man find' will show you all options. A 'sudo modprobe pwc'
> should load it. I own an older Philips Webcam that works fine
> with this module, but I don't believe that your new model still
> uses this old driver, so follow the advice you got from Thomas Kaiser.

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ find /lib/modules/ -name pwc.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/pwc/pwc.ko
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe pwc
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

However, the webcam is still not showing up in Kopete. I understand
that your time is valuable, and I appreciate the advice.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

"Dotan Cohen" 01-03-2008 09:46 PM

Philips webcam

On 04/01/2008, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
> Your own machine=Your computer....

That was obvious. How do you want me to search it, and what am I
looking for? If what I'm looking for is already on the computer, then
why doesn't the webcam work?

> You know, the one with ubuntu on it, on which you are reading this message,
> which includes the pwc module that you need, already packaged with the
> kernel.

Until I read Gerald's message I did not know that I need a pwc module,
and I still don't know what a pwc module is. I'm only a mechanical
engineer, not a computer scientist, but I'm doing my best.

> Of course, how to find that module might be unclear.
> In all likelihood, if you plug the camera in, ubuntu will find it and it
> will
> just work, because ubuntu will auto-detect the device and find the
> module for you.

No, that was not the case. That's why I turned to the list.

> Many peripherals just work now.
> Worst case scenario, ubuntu will say, "Hey...dude...I found new hardware...
> what do you want me to do with it?" and give you a dialog box in which
> you can fish for the driver it needs, which, in all likelihood, will be
> listed in
> there with other similar drives, because, at the very least, will know
> it's a webcam.

That didn't happen either.

> Personally, I know nothing about webcams, but I know that ubuntu had
> no problem when I added a printer, or connected my Canon.
> It just finds stuff and just works.

My printer and other devices Just Work (tm) but this webcam does not.

> and some people still insist that Linux is too hard...
> Linux rocks!

Linux may rocks, but this webcam is scissors.

> /tony

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 10:05 PM

Philips webcam

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 04/01/2008, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
>
>> Not enough time and normally I get paid for doing this, but
>> the command 'find /lib/modules/ -name pwc.ko' should show you
>> the place where the pwc kernel module on your machine
>> resides. The command find is a very strong and useful command,
>> 'man find' will show you all options. A 'sudo modprobe pwc'
>> should load it. I own an older Philips Webcam that works fine
>> with this module, but I don't believe that your new model still
>> uses this old driver, so follow the advice you got from Thomas Kaiser.
>>

> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ find /lib/modules/ -name pwc.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/pwc/pwc.ko
> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe pwc
> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$
>
> However, the webcam is still not showing up in Kopete. I understand
> that your time is valuable, and I appreciate the advice.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Well, looks like you found the module.
Did you go to "settings>configure>devices" in Kopete to
set up the device?

/tony

"Dotan Cohen" 01-03-2008 10:20 PM

Philips webcam

On 04/01/2008, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, looks like you found the module.
> Did you go to "settings>configure>devices" in Kopete to
> set up the device?

Yes, I did take that obvious step before crying on the list.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.