Old 01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Philips webcam

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 04/01/2008, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Well, looks like you found the module.
>> Did you go to "settings>configure>devices" in Kopete to
>> set up the device?
>
> Yes, I did take that obvious step before crying on the list.

Gerald's point was that (a) you can't benefit from compiling pwc from some
source on the web, because you already have pwc.ko, and (b) it doesn't seem
likely that _this_ Phillips webcam uses pwc. So I'm guessing that if they
_had_ a driver for their own cam and don't _now_, that it's probably using
uvc. So you probably want the uvc driver (uvcvideo) and possibly the
VideoForLinux2 libraries (libpt-plugins-v4l2 - though I needed that for
Ekiga, not for Kopete).
--
derek

Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 04/01/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > On 04/01/2008, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> Well, looks like you found the module.
> >> Did you go to "settings>configure>devices" in Kopete to
> >> set up the device?
> >
> > Yes, I did take that obvious step before crying on the list.
> >
> Gerald's point was that (a) you can't benefit from compiling pwc from some
> source on the web, because you already have pwc.ko, and (b) it doesn't seem
> likely that _this_ Phillips webcam uses pwc.

Well, according to this page:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

The camera is supported by the gspcav1 driver available from the same
site. However, it does not work with that driver. Now that I have that
driver installed, and not working, what step can I take to try
something else?

> So I'm guessing that if they
> _had_ a driver for their own cam and don't _now_, that it's probably using
> uvc. So you probably want the uvc driver (uvcvideo) and possibly the
> VideoForLinux2 libraries (libpt-plugins-v4l2 - though I needed that for
> Ekiga, not for Kopete).

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install uvcvideo
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package uvcvideo
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

So where can I get it?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
anthony baldwin

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 04/01/2008, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, looks like you found the module.
>> Did you go to "settings>configure>devices" in Kopete to
>> set up the device?
>>

> Yes, I did take that obvious step before crying on the list.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Sorry...I didn't mean to insult your intelligence.
I should probably just shut-up now, since I've never
even used a webcam.

I don't have enough work to do today, so I'm all over the place trying
to help where my own knowledge is rather limited...not a good idea.

good luck
tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

mais la langue, aucun homme ne peut la dompter;
c'est un mal qu'on ne peut réprimer;
elle est pleine d'un venin mortel.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 04/01/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> > Yes, I did take that obvious step before crying on the list.
>> >
>> Gerald's point was that (a) you can't benefit from compiling pwc from
>> some source on the web, because you already have pwc.ko, and (b) it
>> doesn't seem likely that _this_ Phillips webcam uses pwc.
>
> Well, according to this page:
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
>
> The camera is supported by the gspcav1 driver available from the same
> site. However, it does not work with that driver. Now that I have that
> driver installed, and not working, what step can I take to try
> something else?
>
>> So I'm guessing that if they
>> _had_ a driver for their own cam and don't _now_, that it's probably
>> using
>> uvc. So you probably want the uvc driver (uvcvideo) and possibly the
>> VideoForLinux2 libraries (libpt-plugins-v4l2 - though I needed that for
>> Ekiga, not for Kopete).
>
> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install uvcvideo

Once again, Dotan, uvcvideo is _just_ a module. modprobe it.

Generally speaking: driver = module (not 100% guaranteed, but every driver
will _have_ a kernel module).
--
derek

Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Mike McMullin

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 01:20 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 04/01/2008, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Well, looks like you found the module.
> > Did you go to "settings>configure>devices" in Kopete to
> > set up the device?
>
> Yes, I did take that obvious step before crying on the list.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Please Dotan, they are trying to help, and they need information that
only you can provide. Please grab a terminal and post up the results of
sudo lsmod, looking for the pwc drive and videodev module. On my system
I need the gspca for my non-Phillips web-cam, and videodev references
the gspca as shown below:

gspca 656720 0
videodev 26880 1 gspca
v4l1_compat 16388 1 videodev
v4l2_common 26240 1 videodev

Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Thomas Kaiser

Thomas Kaiser wrote:

Dotan Cohen wrote:

I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
before I install this stuff:
http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips regarding this webcam.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
×?-ב-×’-ד-×”-ו-×–-×—-ט-×™-ך-×›-ל-×?-מ-ן-×
-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Check http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html and search for spc610nc.
If your cam has a PAC7311 chip, you can get basic support with gspca
driver.

The gspca driver in Ubuntu Gutsy is version 01.00.16 but you need at
least 01.00.17. I recommend to get the newest source from mxhaard's site.

Thomas

We need to know what USB ID your device has. A 'lsusb' in a terminal will show
you all connected USB devices. Just copy the output of lsusb to the mail and
send it to the list.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Adam Funk

On 2008-01-03, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Am Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:01:20 +0200
> schrieb "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>
>> I have just received a Philips SPC610NC webcam. I found this page
>> linked from the Philips website, but I'd like to have a second opinion
>> before I install this stuff:
>> http://saillard.org/linux/pwc/
>
> Bad idea, because the pwc module is already part of every ubuntu kernel
> package.

Isn't the Ubuntu pwc module (after Edgy, I think) the one that does
*not* deal with compression, so it doesn't work with a lot of webcams?

(I'm not sure that the SPC610NC is one of the dodgy ones, but my
Logitech is, and it stopped working on Ubuntu after an upgrade.)

Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 04/01/2008, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> We need to know what USB ID your device has. A 'lsusb' in a terminal will show
> you all connected USB devices. Just copy the output of lsusb to the mail and
> send it to the list.

Thanks, Thomas. Here it is:

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 093a:2601 Pixart Imaging, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1241:1177 Belkin F8E842-DL Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 04/01/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Once again, Dotan, uvcvideo is _just_ a module. modprobe it.
>
> Generally speaking: driver = module (not 100% guaranteed, but every driver
> will _have_ a kernel module).

Thanks, Derek. I am trying to learn more about modules, drivers, and
related. Could you recommend to me a good introduction article? I am
not a CS major, but I want to understand what I must do to use my
equipment. Until today, I have never heard of a module.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 04/01/2008, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
>> We need to know what USB ID your device has. A 'lsusb' in a terminal will show
>> you all connected USB devices. Just copy the output of lsusb to the mail and
>> send it to the list.
>>

> Thanks, Thomas. Here it is:
>
> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 093a:2601 Pixart Imaging, Inc.

So, it's a Pixart PAC7311 chip. gspca is the only Linux driver which has basic
support for PAC7311 chip (not really good picture quality :-( ).

Get the latest source from
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz

Make sure that build-essential and the kernel headers are install on your box:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic

Untar the source of gspca:
(In the folder where you downloaded the gspca source)
tar xvzf gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz

Change in that (untared) folder:
cd gspcav1-20071224

Modifiy the make file for Ubuntu install.
Open the Makefile in your favorite editor and change line 41 to:
MODULE_INSTALLDIR = /lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VERSION)/ubuntu/gspcav1/media/
Save and exit the editor.

Compile the driver (module) (in the terminal):
make
You shouldn't see lines with 'Error' in the output of the make command.

Install the module (driver):
sudo make install

Make sure your cam is unplugged and unload the old module (driver), in case it
was already loaded:
sudo modprobe -r gspca

Plug your cam and check if the device /dev/video* is created:
ls /dev/video*

If you got this device, you should be OK.

A good place to check is the kernel log:
Open /var/log/kern.log with your editor. You should find some messages from
gspca at the end of this file which will tell you if the cam is detected.

A good command to monitor the kernel log "online" is tail -f /var/log/kern.log.

Hope this helps

Thomas

PS: A good programm to test the webcam is spcaview from mxhaards site. You need
libsdl1.2-dev installed to compile spcaview.

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li