Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Bram Kuijper

Default change firefox media plugin ubuntu

Hi all,

I want to change the preferred media plugin with which I play an mp3
stream from a certain news website, within Firefox (version 2.0.0.11).
How can I change the preferred plugin in a convenient way, when I got
multiple plugins installed that can handle this file type?

If I go within Firefox to Preferences > Content > File Types > Manage,
then choose MP3 and click the button Change Action, I get a Download
Actions dialog in which I can see the plugin that is used, but there is
no way of changing the plugin to another one.

On the page aboutlugins, there are several players stated which are
able to play mp3 formats. What is the way that I can change the
preferred plugin in Firefox?

Bram

Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 AM
David Vincent

Bram Kuijper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to change the preferred media plugin with which I play an mp3
> stream from a certain news website, within Firefox (version 2.0.0.11).
> How can I change the preferred plugin in a convenient way, when I got
> multiple plugins installed that can handle this file type?
>
> If I go within Firefox to Preferences > Content > File Types > Manage,
> then choose MP3 and click the button Change Action, I get a Download
> Actions dialog in which I can see the plugin that is used, but there is
> no way of changing the plugin to another one.
>
> On the page aboutlugins, there are several players stated which are
> able to play mp3 formats. What is the way that I can change the
> preferred plugin in Firefox?

i have an mp3 server which serves up .pls files. i want those to be
played by xmms. here's how i did it - hope it helps.

- browse the website and click on the link to stream the media
- SAVE THE OFFERED FILE TO THE DESKTOP (or somewhere else convenient)
- right-click said file on the desktop and choose properties
- go to the open with tab and choose the app you want to use
- click close

ta-da! i renamed my pls file to m3u and did the same thing to get m3u
files playing with xmms too. then i did mp3s the same way.

(something is very disjointed between Gnome, Ubuntu, Firefox, who is the
default handler of what file types and who respects that "default
handler" status imho.)

or did you mean to stream the media into a plugin embedded in the page?
plugins suchas mplayer-mozilla, mozilla-plugin-vlc and totem-mozilla
will help you there.

-d