FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

Running Karmic up-to-date with kernel image 2.6.31-15-generic and 64 bit OS.
Graphics is Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with HDMI cables and PCIE slot
Monitor is LG Flatron Wide with 22" monitor and 1680X1050 @ 60HTZ native
resolution
X has performed flawlessly since day one up until the last kernel
upgrade using the
nvidia-glx-185 proprietary driver. Used the -180 nvidia driver prior to
-185 becoming
available.
Have tried all the options displayed on the startup message showing the
startup in
low resolution mode but no joy. Have also gone through the
nvidia-settings bit but
again no joy. Have gone through the display(hardware) drivers from my
kde4 menu again no joy.
Have purged xserver-xorg-video-nv thinking it may be adding the nv
driver and confusing
things. Probably not the right thing to do but trying.
Strange that after the low res message on startup and selecting going to
a console and logging in
the normal X will suddenly just start up showing the login screen after
a few seconds but on
reboot the same low res issue appears again. Doesn't happen 100% but
mostly.
So, running out of ideas to fix this issue and hoping someone has some
new ideas for me to try.
Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks,

Len C


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Running Karmic up-to-date with kernel image 2.6.31-15-generic and 64 bit OS.
> Graphics is Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with HDMI cables and PCIE slot
> Monitor is LG Flatron Wide with 22" monitor and 1680X1050 @ 60HTZ native
> resolution
> X has performed flawlessly since day one up until the last kernel
> upgrade using the
> nvidia-glx-185 proprietary driver. Used the -180 nvidia driver prior to
> -185 becoming
> available.
> Have tried all the options displayed on the startup message showing the
> startup in
> low resolution mode but no joy. Have also gone through the
> nvidia-settings bit but
> again no joy. Have gone through the display(hardware) drivers from my
> kde4 menu again no joy.
> Have purged xserver-xorg-video-nv thinking it may be adding the nv
> driver and confusing
> things. Probably not the right thing to do but trying.
> Strange that after the low res message on startup and selecting going to
> a console and logging in
> the normal X will suddenly just start up showing the login screen after
> a few seconds but on
> reboot the same low res issue appears again. Doesn't happen 100% but
> mostly.
> So, running out of ideas to fix this issue and hoping someone has some
> new ideas for me to try.
> Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks,
>
> Len C
>
>
When I had Nvidia you MUST get a new Nvidia load with EVERY
kernel update.

Please try booting with the old kernel. If that is perfect
then you need to do Nvidia again with the new kernel

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> Running Karmic up-to-date with kernel image 2.6.31-15-generic and 64 bit OS.
>> Graphics is Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with HDMI cables and PCIE slot
>> Monitor is LG Flatron Wide with 22" monitor and 1680X1050 @ 60HTZ native
>> resolution
>> X has performed flawlessly since day one up until the last kernel
>> upgrade using the
>> nvidia-glx-185 proprietary driver. Used the -180 nvidia driver prior to
>> -185 becoming
>> available.
>> Have tried all the options displayed on the startup message showing the
>> startup in
>> low resolution mode but no joy. Have also gone through the
>> nvidia-settings bit but
>> again no joy. Have gone through the display(hardware) drivers from my
>> kde4 menu again no joy.
>> Have purged xserver-xorg-video-nv thinking it may be adding the nv
>> driver and confusing
>> things. Probably not the right thing to do but trying.
>> Strange that after the low res message on startup and selecting going to
>> a console and logging in
>> the normal X will suddenly just start up showing the login screen after
>> a few seconds but on
>> reboot the same low res issue appears again. Doesn't happen 100% but
>> mostly.
>> So, running out of ideas to fix this issue and hoping someone has some
>> new ideas for me to try.
>> Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks,
>>
>> Len C
>>
>>
>>
> When I had Nvidia you MUST get a new Nvidia load with EVERY
> kernel update.
>
> Please try booting with the old kernel. If that is perfect
> then you need to do Nvidia again with the new kernel
>
> 73 Karl
>
>
>
Sorry Karl for not mentioning it before but I have reinstalled all the
nvidia related apps
and also the latest kernel. It looked like that was a fix on the first
reboot but after rebooting again still have low res.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2009, 08:13 PM
NoOp
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

On 11/13/2009 09:44 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Running Karmic up-to-date with kernel image 2.6.31-15-generic and 64
> bit OS. Graphics is Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with HDMI cables and PCIE
> slot Monitor is LG Flatron Wide with 22" monitor and 1680X1050 @
> 60HTZ native resolution X has performed flawlessly since day one up
> until the last kernel upgrade using the nvidia-glx-185 proprietary
> driver. Used the -180 nvidia driver prior to -185 becoming
> available. Have tried all the options displayed on the startup
> message showing the startup in low resolution mode but no joy. Have
> also gone through the nvidia-settings bit but again no joy. Have
> gone through the display(hardware) drivers from my kde4 menu again no
> joy. Have purged xserver-xorg-video-nv thinking it may be adding the
> nv driver and confusing things. Probably not the right thing to do
> but trying. Strange that after the low res message on startup and
> selecting going to a console and logging in the normal X will
> suddenly just start up showing the login screen after a few seconds
> but on reboot the same low res issue appears again. Doesn't happen
> 100% but mostly. So, running out of ideas to fix this issue and
> hoping someone has some new ideas for me to try. Any suggestions
> welcomed. Thanks,
>
> Len C
>
>

Is System|Administration|Hardware Drivers showing -185 as being installed?

The -180 package is listed as a 'transitional package' for -185:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/nvidia-glx-180

Check launchpad for bugs w/both:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bugs
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/nvidia-glx-185
[note that bugs for 185 links to the 180 bug list]
You can search for 'kde' or 'kubuntu' etc. Sample:
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bugs?field.searchtext=kde&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

You might find this entertaining (or not):
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/477066>
[kdm fails to start/restart (but gdm does properly) in kubuntu karmic 64
bits and nvidia driver 185]

Note: you'll need to put 'xserver-xorg-video-nv' back.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 09:44 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> Running Karmic up-to-date with kernel image 2.6.31-15-generic and 64
>> bit OS. Graphics is Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with HDMI cables and PCIE
>> slot Monitor is LG Flatron Wide with 22" monitor and 1680X1050 @
>> 60HTZ native resolution X has performed flawlessly since day one up
>> until the last kernel upgrade using the nvidia-glx-185 proprietary
>> driver. Used the -180 nvidia driver prior to -185 becoming
>> available. Have tried all the options displayed on the startup
>> message showing the startup in low resolution mode but no joy. Have
>> also gone through the nvidia-settings bit but again no joy. Have
>> gone through the display(hardware) drivers from my kde4 menu again no
>> joy. Have purged xserver-xorg-video-nv thinking it may be adding the
>> nv driver and confusing things. Probably not the right thing to do
>> but trying. Strange that after the low res message on startup and
>> selecting going to a console and logging in the normal X will
>> suddenly just start up showing the login screen after a few seconds
>> but on reboot the same low res issue appears again. Doesn't happen
>> 100% but mostly. So, running out of ideas to fix this issue and
>> hoping someone has some new ideas for me to try. Any suggestions
>> welcomed. Thanks,
>>
>> Len C
>>
>>
>>
> Is System|Administration|Hardware Drivers showing -185 as being installed?
>
>
Oh yes, it has the green button on it and says to be active.

> The -180 package is listed as a 'transitional package' for -185:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/nvidia-glx-180
>
>
It's installed also.

> Check launchpad for bugs w/both:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bugs
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/nvidia-glx-185
> [note that bugs for 185 links to the 180 bug list]
> You can search for 'kde' or 'kubuntu' etc. Sample:
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bugs?field.searchtext=kde&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>
>
> You might find this entertaining (or not):
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/477066>
> [kdm fails to start/restart (but gdm does properly) in kubuntu karmic 64
> bits and nvidia driver 185]
>
Will look to see what I can find from the above.
> Note: you'll need to put 'xserver-xorg-video-nv' back.
>

I believe you but can you give a reason. I didn't see where is was a
dependency. Apt* show says it's optional
and suggest to me it related to the nv driver and not nvidia driver.
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 PM
NoOp
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

On 11/13/2009 03:23 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
...
>> Note: you'll need to put 'xserver-xorg-video-nv' back.
>>
>
> I believe you but can you give a reason. I didn't see where is was a
> dependency. Apt* show says it's optional
> and suggest to me it related to the nv driver and not nvidia driver.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/xserver-xorg-video-nv

It's installed on my clean test machine by default (gnome), so I reckon
it's there for a reason. You can leave it uninstalled if you wish, but
I'd recommend putting it back. Bug reports are here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bugs

<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bugs?field.searchtext=karmic&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update

--- On Fri, 11/13/09, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Low Resolution Issue Since Last Karmic Kernel Update
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Friday, November 13, 2009, 6:34 PM
> On 11/13/2009 03:23 PM, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > NoOp wrote:
> ...
> >> Note: you'll need to put 'xserver-xorg-video-nv'
> back.
> >>* *
> >
> > I believe you but can you give a reason.* I
> didn't see where is was a
> > dependency.* Apt* show says it's optional
> > and suggest to me it related to the nv driver and not
> nvidia driver.
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/xserver-xorg-video-nv
>
> It's installed on my clean test machine by default (gnome),
> so I reckon
> it's there for a reason. You can leave it uninstalled if
> you wish, but
> I'd recommend putting it back. Bug reports are here:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bugs
>
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bugs?field.searchtext=karmic&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

Apparently you are right. I have been having X issues that keep
getting worse as time goes by, It got to where my latest karmic version would boot up to a frozen black screen without a cursor and the only solution was to hold that magic on/off switch until the box shut down. Several attempts to get X to work changed nothing so I went to another partition also with karmic installed; the on you helped me with to get plugins working which never did. I think I had to install a 64 bit SM as advised by the SM guru in Australia and I will look up that link again and install the 64 bit on this karmic also. Anyway, still had buggy issues with this install also but noticed from grub that the last kernel didn't show up. So after booting to the -14 kernel and getting kdm to run by startx from console, I purged the -15 kernel and all of nvidia. Then reinstalled all.
First boot was good and so was reboot. Maybe it's a fix but haven't booted to my last karmic install that had worked perfectly, including the 64 bit SM, until the last update that had the new -15 kernel and a bunch of new nvidia drivers. This is the install that's really crapped out and so far can't even get to a console(tty's).
One point of interest is that the original karmic install and that I purged and reinstalled kernel and nvidia drivers always seems to do an nvidia kernel compile during the install and yields a functioning X with kdm. I will make certain that the nvidia source is installed on the crapped out karmic partition and see if I can get it to conpile the nvidia kernel source which I think will solve the issue.
The "xserver-xorg-video-nv" was automatically installed when I purged the kernel and nvidia drivers and reinstalled.
Being one of those who had little trouble with X on karmic, I'm now beginning to feel like some who had early issues(karmic is bad, etc.) but with persistence it will get fixed even though I'm not sure if this is a kernel, nvidia or hal issue. I would have filed a bug report on this except nowhere was an option to file one and I don't know how to do it from scratch.
Will let you and the list know if I fix the X issue on my other borked karmic install. Wish me luck-)
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org