-   -   Website Software (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/280012-website-software.html)

Kipton Moravec 11-13-2009 03:14 PM

Website Software

Our club had a PMachine-based website. But that stopped being supported.

A couple of years ago they switched to one built on the PostNuke
platform.
Now I have been told that is no longer supported.

Is there any web platform similar to PMAchine or PostNuke that works now
and I can expect to be around for a while? Or am I just dreaming?

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain

jack wallen 11-13-2009 03:23 PM

Website Software

On 13 Nov 09 Kipton Moravec said a bunch of stuff, to which I reply:

the bunch of stuff said was:

> Our club had a PMachine-based website. But that stopped being
> supported.
>
> A couple of years ago they switched to one built on the PostNuke
> platform.
> Now I have been told that is no longer supported.
>
> Is there any web platform similar to PMAchine or PostNuke that works
> now and I can expect to be around for a while? Or am I just dreaming?
>
> Kip
> --

Drupal, Joomla!, Xoops are all in for the long haul. All three are
outstanding, flexibile solutions that can easily be installed on Ubuntu
Server.

"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" 11-14-2009 10:11 AM

Website Software

On Fri, November 13, 2009 17:14, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> Our club had a PMachine-based website. But that stopped being supported.
>
> A couple of years ago they switched to one built on the PostNuke
> platform.
> Now I have been told that is no longer supported.
>
> Is there any web platform similar to PMAchine or PostNuke that works now
> and I can expect to be around for a while? Or am I just dreaming?

Drupal would be my first choice.
See the blog of Drupal's creator, Dries Buytaert, to get an idea of who is
using Drupal:
http://buytaert.net/

One very high profile Drupal site that was in the news last week is
http://www.whitehouse.gov/

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Drupal user

Kipton Moravec 11-14-2009 06:44 PM

Website Software

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 11:23 -0500, jack wallen wrote:
> On 13 Nov 09 Kipton Moravec said a bunch of stuff, to which I reply:
>

> the bunch of stuff said was:
>

> > Our club had a PMachine-based website. But that stopped being
> > supported.
> >
> > A couple of years ago they switched to one built on the PostNuke
> > platform.
> > Now I have been told that is no longer supported.
> >
> > Is there any web platform similar to PMAchine or PostNuke that works
> > now and I can expect to be around for a while? Or am I just dreaming?
> >
> > Kip
> > --
>
> Drupal, Joomla!, Xoops are all in for the long haul. All three are
> outstanding, flexibile solutions that can easily be installed on Ubuntu
> Server.

Thank you and Amedee Van Gasse for the pointers. I will research them
starting with Drupal

Kip

"Mark C. Miller" 11-17-2009 09:22 PM

Website Software

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:44:00 -0600, Kipton Moravec wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 11:23 -0500, jack wallen wrote:
>> On 13 Nov 09 Kipton Moravec said a bunch of stuff, to which I reply:
>>

>> the bunch of stuff said was:
>>

>> > Our club had a PMachine-based website. But that stopped being
>> > supported.
>> >
>> > A couple of years ago they switched to one built on the PostNuke
>> > platform.
>> > Now I have been told that is no longer supported.
>> >
>> > Is there any web platform similar to PMAchine or PostNuke that works
>> > now and I can expect to be around for a while? Or am I just dreaming?
>> >
>> > Kip
>> > --
>>
>> Drupal, Joomla!, Xoops are all in for the long haul. All three are
>> outstanding, flexibile solutions that can easily be installed on Ubuntu
>> Server.
>>

> Thank you and Amedee Van Gasse for the pointers. I will research them
> starting with Drupal
>
> Kip

I don't know about Drupal, but I'm an entry level user and found Joomla!
really easy to use with the promise of power features when/if I get that
far in ability.
mcm

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA