Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Daniel Dalton

Default no shutdown in system menu

Hi,

There appears to be no shutdown or log out options in the system menu
in gnome. I'm running ubuntu 9.04, and using the gnome desktop. I know I
can use shutdown from the terminal, but for my users who aren't so
advanced, I need this user interface, so how do I make these items, log
out and shutdown re-appear?

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Dan

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/

Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Colin Law

2009/11/13 Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton@iinet.net.au>:
> Hi,
>
> There appears to be no shutdown or log out options in the system menu
> in gnome. I'm running ubuntu 9.04, and using the gnome desktop. I know I
> can use shutdown from the terminal, but for my users who aren't so
> advanced, I need this user interface, so how do I make these items, log
> out and shutdown re-appear?

Left click on the logged in user name in the top panel, those options
should appear in dropdown.

Colin

Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Fermi Level

Is there any hack to add it back to System menu ?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:06:26 +0500, Fermi Level wrote:

> Is there any hack to add it back to System menu ?

I don't know about 9.04 (skipped that version), but in 9.10, they are
automatically added to the System menu when you remove the applet from
the panel.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-13-2009, 07:18 PM
NoOp

On 11/13/2009 10:06 AM, Fermi Level wrote:
> Is there any hack to add it back to System menu ?

Yes. Remove the logout applet from the panel. This is one of the first
things that I do on a system as the applet just takes up panel space
anyway. The options will then appear in the System menu.

*Please* bottom post on this list :-)

Old 11-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Daniel Dalton

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:18:32PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 10:06 AM, Fermi Level wrote:
> > Is there any hack to add it back to System menu ?
>
> Yes. Remove the logout applet from the panel. This is one of the first
> things that I do on a system as the applet just takes up panel space
> anyway. The options will then appear in the System menu.

Thanks, I shall do that.

Dan