Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Paul Tader

Default Disk failure detected by Ubuntu.

Thanks Ubuntu. I was troubleshooting random lock ups with a buddies
notebook. Ran memtest, a CPU burnin' util and other test before booting
a Ubuntu Live USB stick, figuring that the next step would be to run a
virus scan across the drive. I was delighted to see that immediately
after booting, the Live CD reported a imminent drive failure. Further
test confirmed those results.

- Notebook BIOS didn't report anything.
- Windows didn't report anything (maybe if I could get to the event
viewer before it locked up)
- Ubuntu (using the Palimpsest utility) saw it right away and reported
it to the user.

Way to go Ubuntu!

screenshots:
http://linuxscope.com/~ptader/images/ubuntu_failing_drive1.png
http://linuxscope.com/~ptader/images/ubuntu_failing_drive2.png

Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:11 -0600, Paul Tader wrote:
[snip]
> - Notebook BIOS didn't report anything.
> - Windows didn't report anything (maybe if I could get to the event
> viewer before it locked up)
> - Ubuntu (using the Palimpsest utility) saw it right away and reported
> it to the user.

I actually just recently had a very similar experience with a laptop we
were fixing for a friend. It had vista on the laptop, and it had stared
locking up and crashing (more than usual) along with general crap
performance (worse than typical vista), and the laptop battery was dying
really fast, and the laptop itself was unusually hot. I suspected
hardware, as from the software side, everything looked normal...

First thing I did when I got a hold of it was I stuck a karmic LiveCD in
there, and sure enough the drive was going bad at a rapid pace. We
managed to back up all his info just in time, as on the very next boot
the hard drive got super-hot and started clicking.

My personal opinion is that Palimpsest is probably one of the most
useful additions to ubuntu I've seen in a long while, and I can't wait
to see what they follow up with!

--
Andrew

Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM
NoOp

On 11/13/2009 01:04 AM, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:11 -0600, Paul Tader wrote:
> [snip]
>> - Notebook BIOS didn't report anything.
>> - Windows didn't report anything (maybe if I could get to the event
>> viewer before it locked up)
>> - Ubuntu (using the Palimpsest utility) saw it right away and reported
>> it to the user.
>
> I actually just recently had a very similar experience with a laptop we
> were fixing for a friend. It had vista on the laptop, and it had stared
> locking up and crashing (more than usual) along with general crap
> performance (worse than typical vista), and the laptop battery was dying
> really fast, and the laptop itself was unusually hot. I suspected
> hardware, as from the software side, everything looked normal...
>
> First thing I did when I got a hold of it was I stuck a karmic LiveCD in
> there, and sure enough the drive was going bad at a rapid pace. We
> managed to back up all his info just in time, as on the very next boot
> the hard drive got super-hot and started clicking.
>
> My personal opinion is that Palimpsest is probably one of the most
> useful additions to ubuntu I've seen in a long while, and I can't wait
> to see what they follow up with!

Just be aware of false positives:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libatasmart/+bug/438136
[palimpsest bad sectors false positive]
and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-disk-utility

But certainly worth checking out the drive with other (manufacturer?)
utilities as well.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Paul Tader

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 01:04 AM, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:11 -0600, Paul Tader wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> - Notebook BIOS didn't report anything.
>>> - Windows didn't report anything (maybe if I could get to the event
>>> viewer before it locked up)
>>> - Ubuntu (using the Palimpsest utility) saw it right away and reported
>>> it to the user.
>> I actually just recently had a very similar experience with a laptop we
>> were fixing for a friend. It had vista on the laptop, and it had stared
>> locking up and crashing (more than usual) along with general crap
>> performance (worse than typical vista), and the laptop battery was dying
>> really fast, and the laptop itself was unusually hot. I suspected
>> hardware, as from the software side, everything looked normal...
>>
>> First thing I did when I got a hold of it was I stuck a karmic LiveCD in
>> there, and sure enough the drive was going bad at a rapid pace. We
>> managed to back up all his info just in time, as on the very next boot
>> the hard drive got super-hot and started clicking.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that Palimpsest is probably one of the most
>> useful additions to ubuntu I've seen in a long while, and I can't wait
>> to see what they follow up with!
>>

> Just be aware of false positives:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libatasmart/+bug/438136
> [palimpsest bad sectors false positive]
> and
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-disk-utility
>
> But certainly worth checking out the drive with other (manufacturer?)
> utilities as well.

Yea, after Ubuntu indicated a bad drive I ran the manufactures Disk
repair "suite" and it also reported a bad drive, not as quickly, but
eventually it did report.

(Oh boy, one of the bug report posters has the same drive. Hope they
doubled checked.)

Hitachi tool I used:

Drive Fitness Test
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT