Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Mark Traceur

Default Old lady lost windows xp

> The hard drive has windows xp on it but it won't start and we can't redu
> it on account of the lost cd with the numbers.
> I tried to install a legal windowsf 98 ( she is familiar with) and then
> as an intrduction *e.g. puppy linux, but the computer hangs up and keeps
> looking for windows xp. *with it's ID numbers.. John H

From what I can gather:

1. The HD has XP installed, but it is not starting.
2. The lady has lost her CD.
3. You installed 98 from a CD she DOES have,
4. and promptly found that the computer still tries to boot to XP.
5. Linux doesn't work either.

Make sure you've installed to the correct drive--if you haven't, it'll
still have ntldr in the first drive and break the install.

If that doesn't work, find ANY XP install CD and (from the recovery
console) run 'fixmbr'.

Try accessing the files using an Ubuntu live CD, if the drive doesn't
mount...it's probably dead. Especially if it once had '98 on it, it's
probably a decade old and needs replacing.

Good luck!

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

OpenSUSE 11.2, just realeased... -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3onm/opensuse_112_just_realeased/

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Rashkae

Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2009 03:04:55 pm Mark Traceur wrote:
>>> The hard drive has windows xp on it but it won't start and we can't redu
>>> it on account of the lost cd with the numbers.
>>> I tried to install a legal windowsf 98 ( she is familiar with) and then
>>> as an intrduction e.g. puppy linux, but the computer hangs up and keeps
>>> looking for windows xp. with it's ID numbers.. John H
>> From what I can gather:
>>
>> 1. The HD has XP installed, but it is not starting.
>> 2. The lady has lost her CD.
>> 3. You installed 98 from a CD she DOES have,
>> 4. and promptly found that the computer still tries to boot to XP.
>> 5. Linux doesn't work either.
>>
>> Make sure you've installed to the correct drive--if you haven't, it'll
>> still have ntldr in the first drive and break the install.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, find ANY XP install CD and (from the recovery
>> console) run 'fixmbr'.
>>
>> Try accessing the files using an Ubuntu live CD, if the drive doesn't
>> mount...it's probably dead. Especially if it once had '98 on it, it's
>> probably a decade old and needs replacing.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --MarkTraceur
>
> why is a non-working Windows XP installation a problem for the Ubuntu list?

Because the Ubuntu install cd, which is supposed to safely install a
dual-boot system, broke it?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Christopher Chan

John Heinen wrote:
> The hard drive has windows xp on it but it won't start and we can't redu
> it on account of the lost cd with the numbers.

okay...

> I tried to install a legal windowsf 98 ( she is familiar with) and then

Tried? So the XP installation used NTFS?

> as an intrduction e.g. puppy linux, but the computer hangs up and keeps
> looking for windows xp. with it's ID numbers.. John H

Puppy Linux...okay...maybe you want to wipe out the master boot record
aka MBR aka first sector of disk when you install.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Dave Stevens

On Thursday 12 November 2009 03:04:55 pm Mark Traceur wrote:
> > The hard drive has windows xp on it but it won't start and we can't redu
> > it on account of the lost cd with the numbers.
> > I tried to install a legal windowsf 98 ( she is familiar with) and then
> > as an intrduction *e.g. puppy linux, but the computer hangs up and keeps
> > looking for windows xp. *with it's ID numbers.. John H
>
> From what I can gather:
>
> 1. The HD has XP installed, but it is not starting.
> 2. The lady has lost her CD.
> 3. You installed 98 from a CD she DOES have,
> 4. and promptly found that the computer still tries to boot to XP.
> 5. Linux doesn't work either.
>
> Make sure you've installed to the correct drive--if you haven't, it'll
> still have ntldr in the first drive and break the install.
>
> If that doesn't work, find ANY XP install CD and (from the recovery
> console) run 'fixmbr'.
>
> Try accessing the files using an Ubuntu live CD, if the drive doesn't
> mount...it's probably dead. Especially if it once had '98 on it, it's
> probably a decade old and needs replacing.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --MarkTraceur

why is a non-working Windows XP installation a problem for the Ubuntu list?

Dave

> --
>
> Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
> get all the money. Where's the justice there?
>
> OpenSUSE 11.2, just realeased... -
> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3onm/opensuse_112_just_realeased/

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933

Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 PM
John Heinen

Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2009 03:04:55 pm Mark Traceur wrote:
>
>>> The hard drive has windows xp on it but it won't start and we can't redu
>>> it on account of the lost cd with the numbers.
>>> I tried to install a legal windowsf 98 ( she is familiar with) and then
>>> as an intrduction e.g. puppy linux, but the computer hangs up and keeps
>>> looking for windows xp. with it's ID numbers.. John H
>>>
>> From what I can gather:
>>
>> 1. The HD has XP installed, but it is not starting.
>> 2. The lady has lost her CD.
>> 3. You installed 98 from a CD she DOES have,
>> 4. and promptly found that the computer still tries to boot to XP.
>> 5. Linux doesn't work either.
>>
>> Make sure you've installed to the correct drive--if you haven't, it'll
>> still have ntldr in the first drive and break the install.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, find ANY XP install CD and (from the recovery
>> console) run 'fixmbr'.
>>
>> Try accessing the files using an Ubuntu live CD, if the drive doesn't
>> mount...it's probably dead. Especially if it once had '98 on it, it's
>> probably a decade old and needs replacing.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --MarkTraceur
>>

> why is a non-working Windows XP installation a problem for the Ubuntu list?
>
> Dave
>

>> --
>>
>> Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
>> get all the money. Where's the justice there?
>>
>> OpenSUSE 11.2, just realeased... -
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3onm/opensuse_112_just_realeased/

Thank yall. John

Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Gordon

John Heinen wrote:
> Dave Stevens wrote:

>>> From what I can gather:
>>>
>>> 1. The HD has XP installed, but it is not starting.
>>> 2. The lady has lost her CD.
>>> 3. You installed 98 from a CD she DOES have,
>>> 4. and promptly found that the computer still tries to boot to XP.
>>> 5. Linux doesn't work either.
>>>
>>> Make sure you've installed to the correct drive--if you haven't, it'll
>>> still have ntldr in the first drive and break the install.
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, find ANY XP install CD and (from the recovery
>>> console) run 'fixmbr'.
>>>
>>> Try accessing the files using an Ubuntu live CD, if the drive doesn't
>>> mount...it's probably dead. Especially if it once had '98 on it, it's
>>> probably a decade old and needs replacing.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> --MarkTraceur
>>>
>> why is a non-working Windows XP installation a problem for the Ubuntu list?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
>>> get all the money. Where's the justice there?
>>>
>>> OpenSUSE 11.2, just realeased... -
>>> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3onm/opensuse_112_just_realeased/
>>>

> Thanks for your good advise, let me explain this, I need to do this
> right, right?
> She has window xp on it, someone reinstalled it, {not me), with a bigger
> drive 40 gb, it still has to be validated with the numbers, she doesn't
> have them.

What do you mean by "validated with the numbers"? That doesn't make
sense. Presumably what you mean is ACTIVATE with the Product Key. AFAIK
you can't install XP WITHOUT entering the product key in the first place
so what Product key was used to install it?

> She does have windows 98 cd with the numbers and would be
> very happy to use it. It was my suggestion to use win 98 and also a
> puppy linux edition John

Windows 98 won't boot from the CD AFAIR, you have to boot from a W98
start-up floppy.
--
Registered Linux User no 240308: Ubuntu 9.10
Say No to OOXML http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8

Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 PM
John Heinen

Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2009 03:04:55 pm Mark Traceur wrote:
>
>>> The hard drive has windows xp on it but it won't start and we can't redu
>>> it on account of the lost cd with the numbers.
>>> I tried to install a legal windowsf 98 ( she is familiar with) and then
>>> as an intrduction e.g. puppy linux, but the computer hangs up and keeps
>>> looking for windows xp. with it's ID numbers.. John H
>>>
>> From what I can gather:
>>
>> 1. The HD has XP installed, but it is not starting.
>> 2. The lady has lost her CD.
>> 3. You installed 98 from a CD she DOES have,
>> 4. and promptly found that the computer still tries to boot to XP.
>> 5. Linux doesn't work either.
>>
>> Make sure you've installed to the correct drive--if you haven't, it'll
>> still have ntldr in the first drive and break the install.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, find ANY XP install CD and (from the recovery
>> console) run 'fixmbr'.
>>
>> Try accessing the files using an Ubuntu live CD, if the drive doesn't
>> mount...it's probably dead. Especially if it once had '98 on it, it's
>> probably a decade old and needs replacing.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --MarkTraceur
>>

> why is a non-working Windows XP installation a problem for the Ubuntu list?
>
> Dave
>

>> --
>>
>> Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
>> get all the money. Where's the justice there?
>>
>> OpenSUSE 11.2, just realeased... -
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3onm/opensuse_112_just_realeased/

Thanks for your good advise, let me explain this, I need to do this
right, right?
She has window xp on it, someone reinstalled it, {not me), with a bigger
drive 40 gb, it still has to be validated with the numbers, she doesn't
have them. She does have windows 98 cd with the numbers and would be

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Andrew Farris

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 18:01 +0000, Gordon wrote:
[snip]
> > Thanks for your good advise, let me explain this, I need to do this
> > right, right?
> > She has window xp on it, someone reinstalled it, {not me), with a bigger
> > drive 40 gb, it still has to be validated with the numbers, she doesn't
> > have them.
>
> What do you mean by "validated with the numbers"? That doesn't make
> sense. Presumably what you mean is ACTIVATE with the Product Key. AFAIK
> you can't install XP WITHOUT entering the product key in the first place
> so what Product key was used to install it?

when you 'activate' windows with the product key, you dont actually get
an active windows install...the install must first be validated by MS
before you're allowed to use it, either over the internet, or by phone.
I'm assuming he means that it can't be validated in this way, and after
30 days in this state, windows won't let you in unless you let it call
home to billy boy to make sure it hasnt been stolen.

Man oh man, I don't miss that crap at all...still makes me sick to have
to do it for others though.

--
Andrew

Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Thanks for your good advise, let me explain this, I need to do this
> right, right?
> She has window xp on it, someone reinstalled it, {not me), with a bigger
> drive 40 gb, *it still has to be validated with the numbers, she doesn't
> have them. She does have windows 98 *cd with the numbers and would be
> very happy to use it. It was my suggestion to use win 98 and also a
> puppy linux edition *John

Dear John,

Win 98 is not older than the CD invention and can be installed from a
CD providing you have a valid key number that can usually be found on
the outer side of the CD envelope, no validation required.

If this lady has indeed a Win XP licence, and she is not just a
dangerous one eyed pirate, having only forgotten the exact place she
kept it, perhaps googgling "Belarc Advisor xp key" can help. But then
she would probably have to rely on a real dirty pirate, a true
criminal mind, lacking any kind of respect for the traditional
agreements on Copyright rules, etc. that would visit something like
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/11/05/ways-to-crack-and-disable-wga-validation-tool-and-wga-notifications-plus-download-and-install-bypassing-genuine-windows-validate-requirement/
to get some rather nasty tools to validate the install and run every
available update.

But then all she would get is an obsolete piece of junk prone to
viruses and malware, not considering the enormous amount of time
required to configure the damn thing to a usable state, restarting and
again an immense number of times.

To get something better perhaps you could take her to
http://technet.microsoft.com, for instance, were she could find a real
Windows 7 Enterprise Edition release valid for a 90 days test (after
which it will begin to behave erratically) (at least I can but I guess
you have to be a beta tester) although I doubt this lady has half the
hardware required.

Much, much better, you could zap her hd and introduce her to old,
stable, state of the art, grub1 wise and piracy free Ubuntu 9.04 and
live happily forever or at least till a better release turn them
apart.

Best Regards

L.

--