Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Graham Todd

Default CRON message

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:25:37 +0000
R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> uttered these words:

> Any ideas what is happening? Anyone else seen this? Has an old bug
> re-surfaced?
[snipped]

Are you using privoxy? I keep having to run sudo /usr/sbin/privoxy at
each new boot or nothing will connect.

--
Graham Todd

Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
R Kimber

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:10:58 +0000
Graham Todd wrote:

> > Any ideas what is happening? Anyone else seen this? Has an old bug
> > re-surfaced?
> [snipped]
>
> Are you using privoxy? I keep having to run sudo /usr/sbin/privoxy at
> each new boot or nothing will connect.

No. It's not that.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Rashkae

R Kimber wrote:
> Since upgrading to 9.10 I have started receiving occasional mail from
> the CRON daemon saying "Can't send mail: sendmail process failed"
>
> This seems to be a results of:-
> "logcheck if [ -x /usr/sbin/logcheck ]; then nice
> -n10 /usr/sbin/logcheck; fi" (all one line in the file)
> in the logcheck entry in cron.d
>
> There are no other problems with cron or with logcheck or with
> sendmail that I know of. It's just this one entry, and it doesn't seem to
> happen every time it runs, though I need to check on that more carefully.
>
> Google shows some similar bugs reported in the past, but they are fairly
> old. There doesn't seem to be a current bug open in launchpad (judging from
> the summaries).
>
> Any ideas what is happening? Anyone else seen this? Has an old bug
> re-surfaced?
>
> - Richard. (2.6.31-14-generic, AMD phenom2x4)

have you checked your logcheck.conf file to see where logcheck is trying
to e-mail it's reports? Have you ever received an e-mail from logcheck?
If it's workign properly, you should. I'm guessing logcheck is unable
to send it's e-mail, and kicks back the error to stdout, which cron
dutifully e-mail to you instead (that's what cron does to output from
the programs it runs)

Old 11-13-2009, 09:41 AM
R Kimber

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:45:54 -0500
Rashkae wrote:

> > Since upgrading to 9.10 I have started receiving occasional mail from
> > the CRON daemon saying "Can't send mail: sendmail process failed"

> have you checked your logcheck.conf file to see where logcheck is trying
> to e-mail it's reports? Have you ever received an e-mail from logcheck?
> If it's workign properly, you should. I'm guessing logcheck is unable
> to send it's e-mail, and kicks back the error to stdout, which cron
> dutifully e-mail to you instead (that's what cron does to output from
> the programs it runs)

No, I get other messages from logcheck OK. I'm currently working on the
theory that something else happens that prevents the sendmail process from
working, but I haven't had time to investigate it yet.

- Richard.