Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Brian McKee

Default Anacron - when it's triggered

I want to make sure I'm understanding this and not missing something.

On a default hardy install anacron runs
a - when entering runlevels 2,3,4,5 (e.g. on bootup)(see /etc/rcX.d)
b - on acpi or apm resume if on ac power (see /etc/acpi/resume.d
/etc/apm/event.d)
c - No other time unless specified in the crontab!

In other words, the hardy crontab entry of
25 18 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
--report /etc/cron.daily )
says "if anacron is installed, let it deal with cron.daily, otherwise
run at 6.25pm"
and anacron will only check on bootup or resume from suspend if it
should be running cron.daily,
So, if the machine never sleeps or reboots, cron.daily never runs.
Right?

I'm thinking of removing the test for anacron from crontab so I get
consistant run times when possible, and anacron just catches the
missed runs (because the machine was off etc)

Comments please.

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false