Old 11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
"H.S.Rai"

Default Virtual multilingual keyboard

How I can enter UNICODE text in Indian language (Hindi Punjabi)? I
could see some parts of GUI and application in Punjabi. I have "Lohit
Punjabi" font installed and listed in OpenOffice as well as AbiWord.
On typing with Lohit Punjabi font, I still get ENGLISH typed, and not
punjabi. I cannot use special keyboard. I want to use normal keyboard
of laptop, or virtual keyboard. Is there any such keyboard? I tried
gok, but there appear no button to switch language / change keyboard.

Please help.

--
H.S.Rai

Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Laxman Patel

can you send hindi fonts to me.
*
*
Thanks and regards
Laxman

Undergraduate Student (B.Tech. Part-IV),
Centre of Advanced Studies,
Department of Electronics Engineering,
Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University,

Varanasi,UP- 221005, INDIA

E-Mail * * * : laxman.ece06@itbhu.ac.in *
Address * *: #100 Visvesvaryya Hostel, IT-BHU.
Mobile No. : 9389223528
.................................................. ..........

Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
"H.S.Rai"

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Laxman Patel <laxman2441@gmail.com> wrote:
> can you send hindi fonts to me.

For mine problem, SCIM was th esolution.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SCIM

"gok" is Genome's virtual keyboard.

https://fedorahosted.org/lohit/ for fonts

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=16645

--
H.S.Rai

Old 11-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/11/12 H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai@gmail.com>:
> How I can enter UNICODE text in Indian language (Hindi Punjabi)? I
> could see some parts of GUI and application in Punjabi. I have "Lohit
> Punjabi" font installed and listed in OpenOffice as well as AbiWord.
> On typing with Lohit Punjabi font, I still get ENGLISH typed, and not
> punjabi. I cannot use special keyboard. I want to use normal keyboard
> of laptop, or virtual keyboard. Is there any such keyboard? I tried
> gok, but there appear no button to switch language / change keyboard.
>
> Please help.
>
> --
> H.S.Rai

I read that you solved your problem, so I will just add a short comment:
Unicode (UTF-8 for example) contains tens of thousands of different
characters. Most of them are not supported in an Ubuntu default
install, so additional fonts need to be installed. When you do that,
it means that some previous non supported characters now are
supported. For example I installed a font for symbols for writing
music. This has nothing to do with my keyboard layout. A is still an A
and so on. The difference is that those UTF-8 characters that had
nothing assinged to them now has. Since they are located at U+1D100 →
U+1D1FF, I can still not reach them from my keyboard, unless I create
my own keyboard layout (which I actually did…) or use some other
method to reach them. That's why you still get the same kind of
characters when typing. SCIM is a solution to that problem in your
case. Another solution could be to swith to another keyboard layout,
if there is one for those characters of yours.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2009 09:57 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> I read that you solved your problem, so I will just add a short comment:
> Unicode (UTF-8 for example) contains tens of thousands of different
> characters. Most of them are not supported in an Ubuntu default
> install, so additional fonts need to be installed. When you do that,
> it means that some previous non supported characters now are
> supported. For example I installed a font for symbols for writing
> music. This has nothing to do with my keyboard layout. A is still an A
> and so on. The difference is that those UTF-8 characters that had
> nothing assinged to them now has. Since they are located at U+1D100 →
> U+1D1FF, I can still not reach them from my keyboard, unless I create
> my own keyboard layout (which I actually did…) or use some other
> method to reach them. That's why you still get the same kind of
> characters when typing. SCIM is a solution to that problem in your
> case. Another solution could be to swith to another keyboard layout,
> if there is one for those characters of yours.
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Note that 9.10 uses iBus as default instead of scim:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDSJaunty/ibus-spec
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ibus
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus
On 9.10: System|Help|search=ibus

Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/11/14 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2009/11/12 H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai@gmail.com>:
>> How I can enter UNICODE text in Indian language (Hindi Punjabi)? I
>> could see some parts of GUI and application in Punjabi. I have "Lohit
>> Punjabi" font installed and listed in OpenOffice as well as AbiWord.
>> On typing with Lohit Punjabi font, I still get ENGLISH typed, and not
>> punjabi. I cannot use special keyboard. I want to use normal keyboard
>> of laptop, or virtual keyboard. Is there any such keyboard? I tried
>> gok, but there appear no button to switch language / change keyboard.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> --
>> H.S.Rai
>
> I read that you solved your problem, so I will just add a short comment:
> Unicode (UTF-8 for example) contains tens of thousands of different
> characters. Most of them are not supported in an Ubuntu default
> install, so additional fonts need to be installed. When you do that,
> it means that some previous non supported characters now are
> supported. For example I installed a font for symbols for writing
> music. This has nothing to do with my keyboard layout. A is still an A
> and so on. The difference is that those UTF-8 characters that had
> nothing assinged to them now has. Since they are located at U+1D100 →
> U+1D1FF, I can still not reach them from my keyboard, unless I create
> my own keyboard layout (which I actually did…) or use some other
> method to reach them. That's why you still get the same kind of
> characters when typing. SCIM is a solution to that problem in your
> case. Another solution could be to swith to another keyboard layout,
> if there is one for those characters of yours.
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Forgot to mention that all characters ARE reachable from the keyboard
always, but not conveniently… You can alway do Shift+Ctrl+u → release
keys → enter UTF-8 code, for example 1d123 → Hit ↵ (Enter).
Won't work in some applications. In Opera, for example, Ctrl+Shift+u
seems to mean the same as Ctrl+u which pops up a new tab showing the
source code of the current page…
But it works in GEdit, OpenOffice.org and a lot more.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 11-16-2009, 12:01 AM
"H.S.Rai"

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> But it works in GEdit, OpenOffice.org and a lot more.

Thanks for your useful information.

Some related information may be found:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=e46836620911150938m736f5507m fe6080f326415b30%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=linux-india-help

--