Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 AM
Steve Grace

Default Easy video editing software

drew einhorn wrote:
> My daughter teaches at an elementary school
> and is looking for easy video editing software.
>
> A quick google search turned up this list of
> 22 free and open source video editing packages
> from the Wikipedia.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open_source_software_packages#Vid eo_editing
>
> Any recommendations on which of these packages
> (or others) that we should take a closer look at?

A few months ago I tried some of these (on Intrepid). I chose Avidemux
as it was the only one that worked for me.

The others I tried were Kino, Kdenlive, Open Movie Editor, and PiTiVi. I
rejected them either for being too immature (PiTiVi), having a problem
with sound (Kino), or being unstable (the rest).

Cinelerra is a high-end program (that wasn't in the repos).

You'd have to judge for yourself whether Avidemux meets your criteria.
It's possible to put a video together with it but it seems more targeted
at deleting unwanted video.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Mark Traceur

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open_source_software_packages#Vid eo_editing
>
> Any recommendations on which of these packages
> (or others) that we should take a closer look at?

Kino is good. It's still active, it's for Linux...

Jahshaka, I know, is inactive, so I haven't tried it even.

AviSynth is a scripting language, I think.

The rest, I don't know. Let me know which you choose, because I'm
still looking for one!

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Help! Multilinking Mobile Broadband and POTS? -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3gu8/help_multilinking_mobile_broadband_and_pots/

Old 11-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Mark Traceur

> I rejected them either for being too immature (PiTiVi), having a
> problem with sound (Kino), or being unstable (the rest).

With Kino, did you have about a two-second lagtime for audio? I had
that, but when I exported it it sounded fine...maybe it's time for a
bug report...

--MarkTraceur

--

Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

I need to find the smallest computer I can that is running Linux, is
not a laptop, and has an... -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a3gq4/i_need_to_find_the_smallest_computer_i_can_that/

Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 AM
bqz69

> Cinelerra is a high-end program (that wasn't in the repos).

I tried cinelerra some time ago, and it is the best I have tried, and there
is quite a lot of documentation.