-   -   Nvidia Display Driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/279175-nvidia-display-driver.html)

wayan adjust 11-12-2009 03:14 AM

Nvidia Display Driver

Help Please,

I have a problems with my display driver.
I'm using nvidia gforce fx display adapter and gtc primera lcd monitor.
since ubuntu 8.04 i can't use ubuntu live cd directly, my monitor always says "out of resolution"

and i'm trying to install nvidia display drivers from nvidia website and ubuntu 8.04 run perfectly with 3d effect enable.
But when i'm trying to use ubuntu 9.04 live cd, i can't install my display drivers, so i can't see

my graphical desktop. When i'm trying to install my display driver from nvidia website, the installer
says kernel source code doesn't match your current kernel version.
I have tried this method:
1. cd to kernel source code

2. make prepare
3. make kernelversion
4. make kernelrelease
4. reinstall nvidia display driver

but it dosn't work.

I can't solve this problem.

Putu Wiramaswara Widya 11-12-2009 06:24 AM

Nvidia Display Driver

2009/11/12 wayan adjust <wayan.adjust@gmail.com>:
> Help Please,
>
> I have a problems with my display driver.
> I'm using nvidia gforce fx display adapter and gtc primera lcd monitor.
> since ubuntu 8.04 i can't use ubuntu live cd directly, my monitor always says "out of resolution"
> and i'm trying to install nvidia display drivers from nvidia website and ubuntu 8.04 run perfectly with 3d effect enable.
> But when i'm trying to use ubuntu 9.04 live cd, i can't install my display drivers, so i can't see
> my graphical desktop. When i'm trying to install my display driver from nvidia website, the installer
> says kernel source code doesn't match your current kernel version.
> I have tried this method:
> 1. cd to kernel source code
> 2. make prepare
> 3. make kernelversion
> 4. make kernelrelease
> 4. reinstall nvidia display driver
>
> but it dosn't work.

why you don't try to use proprietary hardware driver manager in
ubuntu? it's located on system > administration > hardware drivers
menu.

--
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
http://wiramaswara.blogspot.com

PL : http://plurk.com/initrunlevel0
FB : http://facebook.com/wiramaswara
TT : http://twitter.com/wiramaswara

wayan adjust 11-12-2009 07:14 AM

Nvidia Display Driver

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Putu Wiramaswara Widya <initrunlevel0@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/11/12 wayan adjust <wayan.adjust@gmail.com>:

> Help Please,

> I have a problems with my display driver.

> I'm using nvidia gforce fx display adapter and gtc primera lcd monitor.

> since ubuntu 8.04 i can't use ubuntu live cd directly, my monitor always says "out of resolution"

> and i'm trying to install nvidia display drivers from nvidia website and ubuntu 8.04 run perfectly with 3d effect enable.

> But when i'm trying to use ubuntu 9.04 live cd, i can't install my display drivers, so i can't see

> my graphical desktop. When i'm trying to install my display driver from nvidia website, the installer

> says kernel source code doesn't match your current kernel version.

> I have tried this method:

> 1. cd to kernel source code

> 2. make prepare

> 3. make kernelversion

> 4. make kernelrelease

> 4. reinstall nvidia display driver

> but it dosn't work.

why you don't try to use proprietary hardware driver manager in

ubuntu? it's located on system > administration > hardware drivers

menu.

--

Putu Wiramaswara Widya

http://wiramaswara.blogspot.com

PL : http://plurk.com/initrunlevel0

FB : http://facebook.com/wiramaswara

TT : *http://twitter.com/wiramaswara

greeting,

Yes, You are right Putu, but I can't start my graphical interface before installing my display driver fisrt.

I'm wayan from Mengwi.
Where do you live Putu.

Putu Wiramaswara Widya 11-12-2009 07:24 AM

Nvidia Display Driver

> greeting,
>
> Yes, You are right Putu, but I can't start my graphical interface before installing my display driver fisrt.

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
in "Device" section, add following line :

driver "vesa"

then open the desktop as usual, and install the driver

> I'm wayan from Mengwi.
> Where do you live Putu.

I'm from Banjarangkan, Klungkung :-)

Graham Todd 11-12-2009 12:07 PM

Nvidia Display Driver

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:24:49 +0800
Putu Wiramaswara Widya <initrunlevel0@gmail.com> uttered these words:

> why you don't try to use proprietary hardware driver manager in
> ubuntu? it's located on system > administration > hardware drivers
> menu.

Agreed, but he is trying to use the proprietary driver. The problem is
he can't see anything for want of the driver with a Jaunty live-cd.

In my case, the screen was shifted to the right and a fat black line
was in place on the left with the live-Cd, but when I installed Karmic
and then installed the nvidia driver(s) and rebooted, the desktop was
as it should be.

My advice to Wayan Adjust is to try burning the Karmic (9.10) and
looking at that, or to update to Jaunty from within Update Manager. If
you don't like it, you can always revert to 8.10.

--
Graham Todd