Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Chris Lumens

Default get rid of the early kickstart processing pass

The following set of patches reduces the number of kickstart passes in
anaconda. There's now just a pass to deal with %pre scripts, and a pass
to parse everything else. This means all the partitioning commands can
now be in a file generated by a %pre script, and that there's no annoying
early pass to add certain commands into that you'll forget about later. I
have also moved all the important stuff out of the parse methods and into
execute methods, therefore separating parsing from "code generation" - you
know, like a compiler would.

This patch set requires another set of patches from pykickstart, which I
will attach to this thread.

One issue - the order of commands matters. You need to put clearpart in
before your other partitioning commands or else it won't work. Commands
are executed in the order they are seen. I think it would be easy to fix
this, but I also think this is the way it's always been. Any thoughts?

- Chris

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
David Lehman

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 13:43 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> The following set of patches reduces the number of kickstart passes in
> anaconda. There's now just a pass to deal with %pre scripts, and a pass
> to parse everything else. This means all the partitioning commands can
> now be in a file generated by a %pre script, and that there's no annoying
> early pass to add certain commands into that you'll forget about later. I
> have also moved all the important stuff out of the parse methods and into
> execute methods, therefore separating parsing from "code generation" - you
> know, like a compiler would.
>
> This patch set requires another set of patches from pykickstart, which I
> will attach to this thread.

The whole set, including the pykickstart stuff, looks okay to me. I must
admit, however, that I didn't understand it all.

> One issue - the order of commands matters. You need to put clearpart in
> before your other partitioning commands or else it won't work. Commands
> are executed in the order they are seen. I think it would be easy to fix
> this, but I also think this is the way it's always been. Any thoughts?

I think this is a good thing -- it encourages well-organized kickstart
configs.

Dave