Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Aryan Ameri

Default Media Cent Which One to choose?

Hi all,

I'm doing some research in building a media centre, and I seriously
don't know which one of the many options on Linux to go for. They all
look good, have their weaknesses and strengths, so I thought I'd canvass
the opinion here and see what people feel.

My requirements are modest: the ability to record TV (that comes through
a digital set-top box), play music and movies from a network share
(running FreeNAS) and play the occasional DVD . I don't need heaps of
config settings, simple UI would be preferable cause the non-geek
members of the household should be able to use it too.

The current choices are:

Boxee
XBMC
MythTV (Mythubuntu)
Moovida

Let me know if I'm missing anything important!

Cheers

--
Aryan Ameri

Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Thomas Kaiser

On 11/11/2009 03:59 PM, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing some research in building a media centre, and I seriously
> don't know which one of the many options on Linux to go for. They all
> look good, have their weaknesses and strengths, so I thought I'd canvass
> the opinion here and see what people feel.
>
> My requirements are modest: the ability to record TV (that comes through
> a digital set-top box), play music and movies from a network share
> (running FreeNAS) and play the occasional DVD . I don't need heaps of
> config settings, simple UI would be preferable cause the non-geek
> members of the household should be able to use it too.
>
> The current choices are:
>
> Boxee
> XBMC
> MythTV (Mythubuntu)
> Moovida
>
> Let me know if I'm missing anything important!
>
> Cheers

There is freevo http://freevo.sourceforge.net, too.

Thomas

Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Aryan Ameri <info@ameri.me> wrote:
> I'm doing some research in building a media centre, and I seriously
> don't know which one of the many options on Linux to go for.
The kicker might be the 'music' part. None of them are that great for
large collections in my opinion.

I like XBMC best of those choices, but it won't record. It handles
DVD's and movie files over the network very well, and looks good too.

Freevo was a real pain to configure last time I used it, but worked
well if you got it working the way you wanted.

Install all of them and see what works for you.

Brian

Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Steve Reilly

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Aryan Ameri <info@ameri.me> wrote:
>> I'm doing some research in building a media centre, and I seriously
>> don't know which one of the many options on Linux to go for.
> The kicker might be the 'music' part. None of them are that great for
> large collections in my opinion.
>
> I like XBMC best of those choices, but it won't record. It handles
> DVD's and movie files over the network very well, and looks good too.
>
> Freevo was a real pain to configure last time I used it, but worked
> well if you got it working the way you wanted.
>
> Install all of them and see what works for you.
>
> Brian

using mythbuntu and boxee here. if you want to record tv you dont have
much choice in *not* using mythtv. speaking strictly free software here.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 PM
J Bickhard

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Steve Reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Aryan Ameri <info@ameri.me> wrote:
>>> I'm doing some research in building a media centre, and I seriously
>>> don't know which one of the many options on Linux to go for.
>> The kicker might be the 'music' part. *None of them are that great for
>> large collections in my opinion.
>>
>> I like XBMC best of those choices, but it won't record. *It handles
>> DVD's and movie files over the network very well, and looks good too.
>>
>> Freevo was a real pain to configure last time I used it, but worked
>> well if you got it working the way you wanted.
>>
>> Install all of them and see what works for you.
>>
>> Brian
>>
> using mythbuntu and boxee here. if you want to record tv you dont have
> much choice in *not* using mythtv. * speaking strictly free software here.
I agree, and you'll want to nix using Moovida, it doesn't record, and
the video library only works some of the time.

--
Jake (dats me)