Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Chris Jones

Default jaunty the worst ever

>> You mean Canonical? Releasing two buggy versions in a row?
>>

> +1

There is *no* such thing as totally bug free software. Its a myth.

Ubuntu is no more or less buggy than any other modern OS.

Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
mutually exclusive.

Chris

Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

Chris Jones wrote:
>>> You mean Canonical? Releasing two buggy versions in a row?
>>>

>> +1
>>

> There is *no* such thing as totally bug free software. Its a myth.
>
> Ubuntu is no more or less buggy than any other modern OS.
>
> Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
> mutually exclusive.

Pet peeve: NM...since Gutsy.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:54:46 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:

>>> You mean Canonical? Releasing two buggy versions in a row?
>>>

>> +1
>
> There is *no* such thing as totally bug free software. Its a myth.

Nobody said there is.

> Ubuntu is no more or less buggy than any other modern OS.

That would mean all modern OSes are equally buggy, which is an ignorant
statement to begin with.

> Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
> mutually exclusive.

No, they're not. Badly designed software can be buggy or stable, and
buggy software can be well designed or badly.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Arshad

i just read the title.
i havnet used Karmic, but i have used the previous older version before Jaunty. from my expericnce, Jaunty is one of the best linux distros iv ever used.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Arshad wrote:
> i just read the title.
> i havnet used Karmic, but i have used the previous older version before
> Jaunty. from my expericnce, Jaunty is one of the best linux distros iv ever
> used.

>>> There is *no* such thing as totally bug free software. Its a myth.
>> Nobody said there is.
>>
>>> Ubuntu is no more or less buggy than any other modern OS.
>> That would mean all modern OSes are equally buggy, which is an ignorant
>> statement to begin with.
>>
>>> Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
>>> mutually exclusive.
>> No, they're not. Badly designed software can be buggy or stable, and
>> buggy software can be well designed or badly.
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
>>

>> --

I replied to this old message to show users that when ever a
new Ubuntu version comes out there are many who have some
problems with it. Thus the Jaunty is the worst ever.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Derek Broughton

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:

> Pet peeve: NM...since Gutsy.

You mean there was a time when NM _didn't_ cause problems? Or is it just
that back before that you could prevent NM trying to configure an interface
by putting it in /etc/network/interfaces?

(Yes, I know I rant about people replacing NM with wicd, but it's not
because NM is perfect, but because wicd isn't either, and most of the people
who suggest it don't have a clue whether it will actually be better).
--
derek

Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Chris Jones

>> Ubuntu is no more or less buggy than any other modern OS.
>
> That would mean all modern OSes are equally buggy, which is an ignorant
> statement to begin with.

Why ? I stand by by statement that all modern OSes have bugs in them, and none is particularly better or worse than others.

>> Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
>> mutually exclusive.
>
> No, they're not. Badly designed software can be buggy or stable, and
> buggy software can be well designed or badly.

Thats precisely what mutually exclusive means ...

Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Steve Flynn

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:

>> Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
>> mutually exclusive.
>
> No, they're not. Badly designed software can be buggy or stable, and
> buggy software can be well designed or badly.

That's what mutually exclusive means.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:11:50 +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:

>>> Note I say buggy, not badly designed. These are difference things and
>>> mutually exclusive.
>>
>> No, they're not. Badly designed software can be buggy or stable, and
>> buggy software can be well designed or badly.
>
> That's what mutually exclusive means.

Excuse me? Mutually exclusive means that if something is A, it cannot be
B. And if it's B, it cannot be A. So if it's buggy, it cannot be badly
designed. And if it's badly designed, it cannot be buggy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutually_exclusive_events

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Steve Flynn

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:

> Why ? I stand by by statement that all modern OSes have bugs in them, and none is particularly better or worse than others.

OK Labs claim to have a small kernel proven to be mathematically
proven to be "the world's first 100% verified 'bug free' embedded
software."

See http://ertos.nicta.com.au/publications/papers/Klein_EHACDEEKNSTW_09.pdf
for a quite interesting read, if you're as sad as I am.