Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Nasa

Default Troubleshooting touchscreen && hal

Hi,

I have modified a fdi that I am trying to use with my touchscreen... I can tell it isn't being seen
as the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the following:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device eGalax Inc. USB TouchController
(II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//synaptics_drv.so
(II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
(--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
(EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

The file (50-eGalax.fdi) has been located in:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/
and each of the subdirectories
/etc/hal/fdi/
and each of the subdirectories

I have checked the permissions and it matches the permissions in the folders it sits in.

50-eGalax.fdi looks like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="info.product" contains="eGalax Inc. USB TouchController">
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input">
<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evtouch</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.minx" type="string">119</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.miny" type="string">160</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.maxx" type="string">1734</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.maxy" type="string"1762></merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.taptimer" type="string">30</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.longtouchtimer" type="string">450</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.longtouched_action" type="string">click</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.longtouched_button" type="string">3</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.oneandhalftap_button" type="string">2</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.movelimit" type="string">10</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.touched_drag" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.maybetapped_action" type="string">click</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.maybetapped_button" type="string">1</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Additionally, hal list two devices for the touchscreen (as one can see from the log). Is this
correct? And if so, should I have two different drivers loaded for the same device?

Thanks in advanced.

Nasa

Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Xandros Pilosa

Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 14:31 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I have modified a fdi that I am trying to use with my touchscreen... I can tell it isn't being seen
> as the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the following:
>
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device eGalax Inc. USB TouchController
> (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//synaptics_drv.so
> (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.1.2
> Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
> (--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
> (EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

Hello Nasa,

this log just tells us, that xorg is loading synaptics_drv.so module for
your touch screen, which is evidently not the right module. It is
touchscreen, you are writing about?
As far I can remember, the right Xorg module is evtouch (OSS) or the
proprietary module from manufacturer, which can be freely downloaded
from here:
http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTouchDriver/linuxDriver.htm

Why this happens, I can't tell from info you provided. If I may make a
goes, it could be wrong settings in your xorg.conf file.

> The file (50-eGalax.fdi) has been located in:

<snip>
Some time ago, when I fiddled with Egalax ts in Hardy, I did not have to
make any intervention to hal routine. Ts was automatically recognised as
HID device, correct kernel module (usbhid) was loaded and appropriate
"/dev/hiddev0" node created.
You can check type of device with:

lsusb -v
and search for string under Egalax :
"bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device" for HID
"bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class" for non HID type.

or

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and search/grep for "TouchController" and "HID"

This is important, as (from EETI Egalax Driver Guide):

<quote>
The HID compliant TouchKit device should NOT work with inbuilt
USB kernel module “touchkitusb” or “usbtouchscreen”. Instead, it
should work with “usbhid” or TouchKit USB kernel module “tkusb”.
It is suggested to add “touchkitusb” and “usbtouchscreen” into the
file “blacklist” in /etc/hotplug or /etc/modprobe.d to avoid conflicts.
</qoute>

So I would first check device type I have,
if I have appropriate kernel module loaded for it and then decide which
xorg module I will use:
evtouch or proprietary, but I'm sure not synaptic.
Anyhow, even if you go with evtouch xorg driver, you may find useful to
read the documentation
which is included in the driver package from the manufacturer in the
link above.
In my experience, proprietary driver from eeti just worked exceptionally
well and doc for installation and configuration is straightforward.

> Additionally, hal list two devices for the touchscreen (as one can see from the log).

Not really, I can just see wrong module loaded, but this is just log
from the xorg and xorg module.
As for device recognition and kernel modules for them, you may find
kern.log, dmesg or syslog more useful.
<snip>

Regards

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Nasa

----- "Xandros Pilosa" <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> if I have appropriate kernel module loaded for it and then decide
> which
> xorg module I will use:
> evtouch or proprietary, but I'm sure not synaptic.
> Anyhow, even if you go with evtouch xorg driver, you may find useful
> read the documentation
> which is included in the driver package from the manufacturer in the
> link above.
> In my experience, proprietary driver from eeti just worked
> exceptionally
> well and doc for installation and configuration is straightforward.
>
> > Additionally, hal list two devices for the touchscreen (as one can
> see from the log).
>
> Not really, I can just see wrong module loaded, but this is just log
> from the xorg and xorg module.
> As for device recognition and kernel modules for them, you may find

Thanks for replying Pilosa (I appreciate your time),

-- On the log file, it shows the synaptics driver being loaded (as you mentioned)
and it shows that a driver for "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" couldn't be loaded
or found. I only have the one touchscreen installed, so I am unsure why two
devices for it are showing up.

-- As you noted, the correct driver would be evtouch. However, the .fdi file (posted
above) doesn't seem to be getting read to ensure the correct drive is loaded. This
would be the crux of my issue... I was under the impression that 9.10 was suppose to
work with most (if not all) touchscreens using this driver.

--BTW: the xorg.conf file is basically empty as with Ubuntun 9.10, HAL is suppose to
handle all of that. And for the most part it does.

Nasa

Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Xandros Pilosa

Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 21:43 +0100 je Xandros Pilosa zapisal(a):
> Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 14:31 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have modified a fdi that I am trying to use with my touchscreen... I can tell it isn't being seen
> > as the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the following:

<snip>

> this log just tells us, that xorg is loading synaptics_drv.so module for
> your touch screen, which is evidently not the right module.
<snip>

> Why this happens, I can't tell from info you provided. If I may make a
> goes, it could be wrong settings in your xorg.conf file.

Sorry, I jumped in to soon. I've just read your other post and have
realised you are in Karmic, so probably you even don't have xorg.conf
file and fdi file is the way to go, although you can stil use xorg.conf.

> > The file (50-eGalax.fdi) has been located in:
> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/
> > and each of the subdirectories
> > /etc/hal/fdi/
> > and each of the subdirectories

Maybe it is in too many locations. You can try just one, that is:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor

and (a guess)
<match key="info.product" contains="eGalax">
instead of
<match key="info.product" contains="eGalax Inc. USB TouchController">
from success story (a little bit old):
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-mobile/2008-December/002301.html

Regards

Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Xandros Pilosa

Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 21:45 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
Hello Nasa,

<snip>
> -- On the log file, it shows the synaptics driver being loaded (as you mentioned)
> and it shows that a driver for "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController" couldn't be loaded
> or found. I only have the one touchscreen installed, so I am unsure why two
> devices for it are showing up.

> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
> (--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found

Note: touchpad, not a driver, so synaptics module is loaded for eGalax,
and of course it can't find touchpad

> (EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize
> Synaptics hardware.

Note: Synaptics

> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "eGalax Inc. USB
> TouchController"
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

So xorg unloads the synaptics module and gives up.

I stil can't see 2 devices in this log. If you mean this:

(--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
(EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize...

it is the message for same device, with different markers (--) probed, (EE) error

> -- As you noted, the correct driver would be evtouch. However, the .fdi file (posted
> above) doesn't seem to be getting read to ensure the correct drive is loaded. This
> would be the crux of my issue... I was under the impression that 9.10 was suppose to
> work with most (if not all) touchscreens using this driver.
>
> --BTW: the xorg.conf file is basically empty as with Ubuntun 9.10, HAL is suppose to
> handle all of that. And for the most part it does.

Yes and I apologise once again for rushing in without verifying which
version you are dealing with.
Why xorg or hal is pushing synaptics driver for the touchscreen is a
mystery and I can't check it myself, as I have no touchscreen at hand.
As I mentioned in my other post, maybe you can try to ditch "touch"
string from "info.product" key in fdi.

Regards

Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Nasa

----- "Xandros Pilosa" <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dne 11.11.2009 (sre) ob 21:45 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
> Hello Nasa,
>
> <snip>
> > -- On the log file, it shows the synaptics driver being loaded (as
> you mentioned)
> > and it shows that a driver for "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController"
> couldn't be loaded
> > or found. I only have the one touchscreen installed, so I am unsure
> why two
> > devices for it are showing up.
>

> > (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
> > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
> > (--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
>
> Note: touchpad, not a driver, so synaptics module is loaded for
> eGalax,
> and of course it can't find touchpad
>
> > (EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize
> > Synaptics hardware.
>
> Note: Synaptics
>
> > (EE) PreInit failed for input device "eGalax Inc. USB
> > TouchController"
> > (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> > (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
>
> So xorg unloads the synaptics module and gives up.
>
> I stil can't see 2 devices in this log. If you mean this:
>
> (--) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController: no supported touchpad found
> (EE) eGalax Inc. USB TouchController Unable to query/initialize...
>
> it is the message for same device, with different markers (--) probed,
> (EE) error
>
> > -- As you noted, the correct driver would be evtouch. However, the
> .fdi file (posted
> > above) doesn't seem to be getting read to ensure the correct drive
> is loaded. This
> > would be the crux of my issue... I was under the impression that
> 9.10 was suppose to
> > work with most (if not all) touchscreens using this driver.
> >
> > --BTW: the xorg.conf file is basically empty as with Ubuntun 9.10,
> HAL is suppose to
> > handle all of that. And for the most part it does.
>
> Yes and I apologise once again for rushing in without verifying which
> version you are dealing with.
> Why xorg or hal is pushing synaptics driver for the touchscreen is a
> mystery and I can't check it myself, as I have no touchscreen at
> hand.
> As I mentioned in my other post, maybe you can try to ditch "touch"
> string from "info.product" key in fdi.
>
> Regards
Thanks again for taking the time,

I reduced the "info.product" key to just "eGalax" which didn't result in any
changes. I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is matching/parsing?
I would love to verify that hal is reading the .fdi file (which I have in only 1 place).
BTW: looking at syslog, messages, etc -- doesn't report anything about this problem.

Thanks again,

Nasa

Oh, if there are any other troubleshooting methods I am missing -- I am open to any suggestions!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Xandros Pilosa

Dne 12.11.2009 (čet) ob 11:37 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
<snip>

> Thanks again for taking the time,

You are welcome, I'm just sorry for not being of much help.

> I reduced the "info.product" key to just "eGalax" which didn't result in any
> changes. I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is matching/parsing?

lshal, hal-find-by-property, hal-find-by-capability and other tools from
"man lshal" could be what you are looking for.
Just quick example I can think of without diving to much into hal waters
for finding hal device udi:

hal-find-by-capability --capability input
to find device udi
an then:
lshal -u /wathever/the/relevant/output/for/eGalax/from previous/command

or from[1]
$ UDI=$(hal-find-by-capability --capability input.mouse)
$ lshal -u $UDI

and look for what input.x11_driver key shows.

You may find useful to install gnome-device-manager (universe repo.), if you prefer gui.
(When in program, check if View--> Device Properties is selected as it was not by default in Hardy version)

> I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is matching/parsing?
> I would love to verify that hal is reading the .fdi file (which I have in only 1 place).
> BTW: looking at syslog, messages, etc -- doesn't report anything about this problem.

To stop and restart hald in verbose mode you can check man hald
or from [2]:
<quote>
To get detailed information on your logs, ask hald to be verbose
changing your /etc/conf.d/hald:
HALD_VERBOSE="yes"
</quote>

> Thanks again,
>
> Nasa
>
> Oh, if there are any other troubleshooting methods I am missing -- I am open to any suggestions!

I am out of ideas, but I would certainly like to know the solution, so
if you find one, please do post it here.

Regards
[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/juanje/tag/egalax/
[2] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HAL

Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Nasa

----- "Xandros Pilosa" <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dne 12.11.2009 (čet) ob 11:37 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
> <snip>
>
> > Thanks again for taking the time,
>
> You are welcome, I'm just sorry for not being of much help.
> >
> > I reduced the "info.product" key to just "eGalax" which didn't
> result in any
> > changes. I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is
> matching/parsing?
>
> lshal, hal-find-by-property, hal-find-by-capability and other tools
> from
> "man lshal" could be what you are looking for.
> Just quick example I can think of without diving to much into hal
> waters
> for finding hal device udi:
>
> hal-find-by-capability --capability input
> to find device udi
> an then:
> lshal -u /wathever/the/relevant/output/for/eGalax/from
> previous/command
>
> or from[1]
> $ UDI=$(hal-find-by-capability --capability input.mouse)
> $ lshal -u $UDI
>
> and look for what input.x11_driver key shows.
>
> You may find useful to install gnome-device-manager (universe repo.),
> if you prefer gui.
> (When in program, check if View--> Device Properties is selected as it
> was not by default in Hardy version)
>

> > I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is
> matching/parsing?
> > I would love to verify that hal is reading the .fdi file (which I
> have in only 1 place).
> > BTW: looking at syslog, messages, etc -- doesn't report anything
> about this problem.
>
> To stop and restart hald in verbose mode you can check man hald
> or from [2]:
> <quote>
> To get detailed information on your logs, ask hald to be verbose
> changing your /etc/conf.d/hald:
> HALD_VERBOSE="yes"
> </quote>
>
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Nasa
> >
> > Oh, if there are any other troubleshooting methods I am missing -- I
> am open to any suggestions!
>
> I am out of ideas, but I would certainly like to know the solution, so
> if you find one, please do post it here.
>
> Regards
> [1] http://blogs.gnome.org/juanje/tag/egalax/
> [2] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HAL

Well,

I finally did a complete purge of the evtouch package (which includes the 50-eGalax.fdi
file) and reinstalled it -- hal now reacts to this file. Now to work on calibration,
the calibration app works but on reboot the evtouch settings are lost. Actually, not
lost -- just not set when GDM starts up. If I run the evtouch script in the /etc/init.d/
folder and restart the X server the calibration settings work.

I'll get this thing working yet...

Nasa