Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

Default Kismet: ERROR: Unable to create VAP: Operation not supported

Running kismet gives me the following output:

$ sudo kismet
Launching kismet_server: //usr/bin/kismet_server
Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change
channel.
Source 0 (madwifi): Enabling monitor mode for madwifi_ag source interface
wlan0 channel 6...
ERROR: Unable to create VAP: Operation not supported
ERROR: Unable to create monitor-mode VAP
WARNING: wlan0 appears to not accept the Madwifi-NG controls. Will attempt
to configure it as a standard Madwifi-old interface. If you are using
madwifi-ng, be sure to set the source interface to the wifiX control
interface, NOT athX
FATAL: Failed to retrieve list of private ioctls 95:Operation not supported
Done.

In /etc/kismet/kismet.conf I have:
source=madwifi_ag,wlan0,madwifi

$ lspci | grep -i
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 01)

$ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"3Com"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:14:7C:4E:72:B2
Bit Rate=48 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Power Managementff
Link Quality=38/70 Signal level=-72 dBm

What am I missing here?
I googled for "unable to create VAP" but I didn't find anything that
solved the problem. Only questions from other people that have this error,
and no answers.

--
Amedee Van Gasse